This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Red the only PC with a canon team?

#31EpsteinBarrPosted 5/3/2013 5:40:36 PM
Luigifan141 posted...
EpsteinBarr posted...
Luigifan141 posted...
I'm pretty sure that Red is the only character with a truly cannon team. As I'm sure most of us know, it's based off of Yellow version. Pikachu is the starter. Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise are all given to you early on in the game. Snorlax could be caught in two different places in Yellow (and the other Kanto games), and in GSC/HGSS, there is only one Snorlax left, which also makes Red only catching one of the two Snorlax cannon as well. Eevee can be gotten as a gift in Celedon City, and Red apparently evolved it into Espeon by the time you fought him. (GSC only) Laparas is given to you as a gift in the Sliph Co. headquarters. (HGSS only)

The second closest we probably have to a cannon team, in terms of playable characters, is that Wes is implied to keep his Espeon and Umbreon on hand for all of Pokemon Colosseum, as Wes is always associated with his starters.

Red's starter was Bulbasaur, he got his Pikachu from Viridian Forest, and he got Charizard and Blastoise from Green and Blue respectively.

And Lapras was given as a gift in Red and Blue too.

I'm talking about the games. I haven't read any of the Pokemon mangas, but I did hear in Pokemon Adventures that Red had a Bulbasaur as his starter.

Yes, I do know that Lapras can be gotten in Red/Blue/Green as well. My point is that all of Red's Pokemon are gifts to him, if we go by Pokemon Yellow instead of Pokemon Adventures. Like I said, I've never read the manga, so I don't really know for sure if Red's team in the Johto games is based off of Yellow version or Adventures. (HGSS probably did base it off of Yellow, if only because Red didn't have a Lapras with him when he was at Mt. Silver in the Manga.)

Hmm, I may have to relook the Lapras part. My memory is a bit hazy on it.
#32EchoPhoenixPosted 5/3/2013 8:52:44 PM
slmcknett posted...
Although, I guess every PC has a canon starter (Gold = Cyndaquil, Dawn = Piplup, etc), but I don't think anybody besides Red has a full canon team.

In official art, I'm pretty sure the only starter that Ethan's not shown with is Cyndaquil. >_>

Platinum artwork for the Battle Frontier shows Dawn with Infernape btw.

Ethan/Lyra get (Azu)Marill and Rattata when they're not player characters.

-Zeke- posted...
You know you had to return the Shuckle, right?

If you built a strong enough friendship with it, the guy lets you keep it.
#33-Zeke-Posted 5/4/2013 9:15:59 AM
EchoPhoenix posted...
If you built a strong enough friendship with it, the guy lets you keep it.

Really? Never knew that, I normally gave it back to him because I didn't find Shuckle that useful
---
"Official Toy Scraggy of the Pokemon Rumble U board"
3DS code: 1118-1052-2607 (PM me if you add me)
#34Chaos_MissilePosted 5/5/2013 6:57:11 AM
SlimeStack posted...
Red is the only one with indisputable canon.

Most in-game teams vary based on the starter the player chose and whatnot, while Red has all 4 that gen 1 offered.

Blue's team in HGSS is his canon team.

If you've studied his team in RGBYFRLG, you can tell EXACTLY which one is replaced by the starter. Hence, if we merge them all, we get his Gen 2 team:-
Gyarados (replaces Blastoise)
Exggecutor (replaces Venusaur)
Arcanine (replaces Charizard)
Pigeot (a Pidget since battle 2)
Alakazam (an Abra since battle 3)
Rhydon (based on Yellow team I think)
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#35Brandon042487Posted 5/5/2013 8:02:56 AM
Just remember before trying to make the comic a thing to canonize something.

The comic and cartoons all came after the game was created in Japan.

If you notice I will always call them comics and cartoons is because they are.
---
<(x_x)>