This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm tired of this old formula

#21westontickleePosted 5/3/2013 6:34:35 PM
Hodou posted...
westonticklee posted...
Hodou posted...
Kasada posted...
If for whatever reason Nintendo heard my wishes, Pokemon would look something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0K1z294p4yc#t=462s

See this? See how fast paced these battles are? See how I can actually use half of my team in a fight so I can mess around with team mechanics instead of playing rock paper scissors? Hear this rockin' music? THIS is what I want!

I'm sure I'll get some kind of response like "Then play that. Pokemon is a completely different series and it has traditions." The problem is that I actually like the pokemon universe. I like the pokemon designs, I like the mechanics, I just can't stand the static, slow battle system and the grind fest gameplay. I want to be able to win fights through planning and strategy that isn't as simple as having a fast pokemon with a super effective type move at a decent level. Heck, for me to feel like I'm playing intelligently nowadays in pokemon, I have to be playing a whole Baton Pass team, and that's barely viable.

I just want some new life in this series so I can enjoy it again. I don't expect it to change anytime soon, but I can dream.

--tries to point out how Pokemon should take cues from SMT
--uses one of the worst games in the series to prove his point

slow clap

Troll post. Nothing to see here

Oh yeah, because Nocturne, possibly the most grind-heavy and luck based game in the series, is TOTALLY better than SMT2, Devil Survivor, all four Personas, etc. etc...

Well for one, it sure as heck is better than Persona 4 and Persona 1. Both P2s and P3 debatable.and I've never played SMT2. Never played Devil Survivor either but that has totally different gameplay so you can't even count that. So 3 out of 7 specified games are definitely not better and the other 4 are debatable
---
People who hate on Queen Jiggs are obvious trolls
Official king of the Persona 4 Golden and Pokemon X boards
#22ThatPersonGuyPosted 5/4/2013 6:24:39 AM
RingsOfUranus posted...
F1areaGaman posted...
Pokemon is a handheld game. It's designed to be played on toilets, in Subways, at grandma's etc.

The mechanics are based around this fact. The games are just so good (They actually are extremely well designed RPGS) that most people will sit and grind home alone sometimes, before bed, when they should be studying, etc.

But Pokemon, at least the core series, as long as it remains on handheld,will always play similar to this.

I'm not saying it's impossible that there won't be a typical Console RPG Pokemon game and it's actually likely Nintendo will eventually release a Pokemon MMO but this type of Pokemon game isn't going anywhere.

Well this is without a shadow of a doubt, the worst marketing understanding in the history of Earth.

It's not marketing understanding. Pokemon is the way it is because it is... well... the way it is. If the game was completely revamped in Black and White, if Red and Blue were just ordinary RPGs, we wouldn't have the series today.
---
"You don't have an inferiority complex, you're just inferior."
-Sarcastic Announcer in Wave Race
#23dwdwdw6Posted 5/4/2013 6:48:25 AM
Eww SMT. I never could get into that series for some reason. And RPG's like Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Fire Emblem are my piece of cake.

Also bad, generic topic.
#24ClassyOldHatPosted 5/4/2013 7:11:56 AM
Hodou posted...
NessEggman posted...
You're wanting to play competitive doubles/triples. Which exists in Pokemon. It's not part of the single-player experience, but IMO the single player experience is not about strategy and exciting battles, but it's more about a feeling of travel/adventure with Pokemon. The battles are actually kind of... just there to give you a reason to do all that.

Sadly, the metagame is still so focused on boring and low-strategy single battles that you won't be able to find much of a community for doubles/triples. It exists, but it's not nearly as developed as the singles community, even though singles is the least strategic and most boring way to play.

Except, yknow, not. And opinions, and all that.

Personally I see a mode where every Pokemon uses Protect every other turn and the entire metagame is spamming gimmicks and AoE moves as FAR worse/less strategic/more boring than singles.

Yeah, I'm sick of this "Double/Triple Battle Master Race" attitude too. The only reason more strategies SEEM viable in those mode is because of the low hanging fruit principle; ironically, if these people got what they wanted, and everybody started playing Doubles and Triples, all the optimal strategies would be discovered, people would no longer rely on inefficient gimmicks, and these modes would become as "low-strategy" as singles.

Also, why do these people never support Rotation or Wonder Launcher battles, if they value "diversity" and "Strategy," which these modes also supply?
#25PK_GamingPosted 5/4/2013 7:43:40 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#26NewMoonShadowPosted 5/4/2013 7:45:38 AM
Playing through "Pokemon Colosseum" or "Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness" actually gives a decent impression of what a game comprised primarily of double-battles would be like, and honestly, yeah, they ARE more interesting than single-battles. Pokemon that are useless otherwise become pretty decent, same with certain moves. It creates a much larger dynamic. Though from the Triple-Battles I played in B/W I don't like those as much, mostly because it was bulls*** that the Pokemon in the far corners can't touch each other.

Personally what I'd like to see is if YOU could set the match-type for trainer-battles in the main-story. Like if instead of being ordered by your opponent to do whatever they want, you can challenge them to specific match-types, so you could play double-battles or triple-battles or rotation-battles if you wanted to.
#27CakeOfLiesPosted 5/4/2013 7:46:26 AM
I'm convinced that this is a troll topic.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Pokemon White 2 FC: 4342-3001-3593.
#28mjc0961Posted 5/4/2013 7:48:54 AM
Kasada posted...
Then play that. Pokemon is a completely different series and it has traditions.

---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#29GoldenFantasyPosted 5/4/2013 9:09:49 AM
Hodou posted...
westonticklee posted...
Hodou posted...
Kasada posted...
If for whatever reason Nintendo heard my wishes, Pokemon would look something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0K1z294p4yc#t=462s

See this? See how fast paced these battles are? See how I can actually use half of my team in a fight so I can mess around with team mechanics instead of playing rock paper scissors? Hear this rockin' music? THIS is what I want!

I'm sure I'll get some kind of response like "Then play that. Pokemon is a completely different series and it has traditions." The problem is that I actually like the pokemon universe. I like the pokemon designs, I like the mechanics, I just can't stand the static, slow battle system and the grind fest gameplay. I want to be able to win fights through planning and strategy that isn't as simple as having a fast pokemon with a super effective type move at a decent level. Heck, for me to feel like I'm playing intelligently nowadays in pokemon, I have to be playing a whole Baton Pass team, and that's barely viable.

I just want some new life in this series so I can enjoy it again. I don't expect it to change anytime soon, but I can dream.

--tries to point out how Pokemon should take cues from SMT
--uses one of the worst games in the series to prove his point

slow clap

Troll post. Nothing to see here

Oh yeah, because Nocturne, possibly the most grind-heavy and luck based game in the series, is TOTALLY better than SMT2, Devil Survivor, all four Personas, etc. etc...

Don't know much about SMT 2.
DeSu and DeSu 2 are strategy rpg, Completely different.
Can't comment on Persona either.
It's also similar to Strange Journey, but possibly less grind and luck.

I've been on a few Megaten boards and I'm pretty sure Nocturne is regarded as one of the best Megaten games.
---
Jesus promised the end of all wicked people. Odin promised the end of all ice giants.
I don't see many ice giants around. - ff12and3rocks
#30ClassyOldHatPosted 5/5/2013 4:04:37 PM
NewMoonShadow posted...
Pokemon that are useless otherwise become pretty decent, same with certain moves. It creates a much larger dynamic.

Except that several Pokemon and moves who are useful in singles would be less so in doubles, resulting in an approximately equal dynamic.

Otherwise though, I agree with your post. It would be nice if you could decide which battle types your played, so you could test strategies and level grind Pokemon in non-singles modes.