This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have there been times when you've lost interest in Pokemon?

#1AnclationPosted 5/5/2013 11:43:25 AM
Personally I was a complete Pokemaniac for most of Gen I, but I was disappointed in Gold/Silver/Crystal. Gen III restored my faith in the series (I think I played Ruby and Sapphire almost as much as I played Red and Yellow, and Colosseum got plenty of playtime as well), but by the time Diamond & Pearl came out I really felt the series was getting stale, and dropped Diamond after the first 2 badges. I still got Pokemon Black a few months after it came out because a lot of people had been saying it felt "fresher" than past Pokemon games, and I did enjoy it a lot more than Diamond, but then I stopped playing after the first 6 badges and the game ended up relegated to the backlog.

When the sequels were announced I got the urge to finally finish Pokemon Black, but it was only after discovering Smogon that I begun to think about returning to the series as a whole; reading the profiles of my old favorites like Zapdos, Mewtwo and Metagross was not only nostalgic, but reading their profile entries for the various generations really opened my eyes to just how much had changed over the years, and how many minor innovations and improvements eventually added up to something significant. I started watching some competitive battle videos on YouTube and soon thereafter I started a new file not on Pokemon Black, but on Diamond, wanting to give Gen IV another chance. I ended up really enjoying Diamond this time around, and moved on to Pokemon Black, then Pokemon XD, then Pokemon Platinum, Black 2 and most recently Soul Silver. Pokemon X/Y is currently my most eagerly anticipated 3DS game for the year.
#2Davidk92Posted 5/5/2013 11:47:05 AM
About the time Gen 4 was announced.

When Gen 2 was there, the thought of bringing in brand new Pokemon was NEW and EXCITING! The same thing for Gen 3. By the time Gen 4 rolled around, the novelty of more Pokemon had kind of worn off.

I'm still excited whenever a new Generation is announced, just not the in the omgwtfbbq way I was.
---
"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can't do."
~Walter Bagehot
#3KitschgardenerPosted 5/5/2013 11:49:05 AM
I had a decade-long hiatus between 1999 and 2009 - odd, seeing as I liked the Gen II previews but never got round to playing it.
#4kirbydude385Posted 5/5/2013 11:50:39 AM
a slight dip in interest after FRLG, spiked up again for DP, then went back down again until HGSS and has remained steady since
---
Official Manectric and Creator of the B/W, BW2, and XY Boards Clan
Official Dawn of the BW2 Boards
Khaini: ImSooBipolar - 14x Luminous
#5MrMahoPosted 5/5/2013 11:54:58 AM
I lost a little interest while HG/SS came out, but I still loved Pokemon.
---
Official Miror Admin with Shadow Gardevoir and Shadow Dusclops
#6sandslash1Posted 5/5/2013 12:00:37 PM
i've been quickly losing interest after playing gen 3 games like ruby, emerald, and xd (loved them to death, gen 4 seemed much less interesting in comparison)
i "quit" pokemon after plat and my love was rekindled after playing hgss past year
looking forward to playing white 2 and y
---
a
#7SilverSaint7Posted 5/5/2013 12:00:38 PM
I think I probably would have lost interest mid 3rd gen if I hadn't found out about EV training and competitive movesets.
---
http://i.imgur.com/jnCZgwQ.gif
#8SP_WesPosted 5/5/2013 12:06:11 PM
Yes, and it was called Gen 3.
---
"We have no loofas in the Palace of Wisdom" - John Morrison
#9Jakerific44Posted 5/5/2013 12:08:36 PM
SP_Wes posted...
Yes, and it was called Gen 3.

---
My Anime List:http://myanimelist.net/profile/Jakerific
#10Sid_StarkillerPosted 5/5/2013 12:13:55 PM
When my Silver file was corrupted. Quit, tried someone's Ruby but wasn't enough to bring me back, FR eventually brought me back.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1292-6017-5477 (Sid)
Statement: Just a simple droid here, ma'am. Nothing to see. Move along.