This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My take on why Gen III may not be getting a remake

#31ReachOutToTruthPosted 5/5/2013 8:53:08 PM
Mewtwo_soul posted...

Oh my god you people know nothing about previous gens do you?

I've said it multiple times now:

That time frame of when remakes come out is WHEN THERE IS ABOUT 2 YEARS LEFT FROM THE STANDARD GENERATION WHICH LAST GENERALLY 4 YEARS.

The first two years are the new gen games and their third.

Then the last two years before the next gen usually end on a remake.

It doesn't take away from the new gen, because they've already been working on both, Nintendo has plenty of finances and teams to work on them (developers and more) and they make an easy amount to keep creating them.

To be honest, I didn't like Gen III, does that mean it won't get a remake? no.

We've only ever gotten two distinct sets of games per gen anyway. Gen V got sequels instead of remakes, and will pass without any remakes. Who is to say they won't just do sequels now? Or maybe try something completely different?

And as for the ease of making them, it's not that simple. The game industry is a very complex animal, and Nintendo is a HUGE corporation, and Game Freak isn't the ONLY developer making Pokemon games.

Yes, Nintendo could just poop out a couple million dollars and say "Make us an RS remake" and it would be done. But just because something is profitable doesn't mean it's worth doing.

What's the release schedule for Pokemon games look like in the years following X and Y? What other 1st party titles is Nintendo trying to promote at the time? More importantly, are there any other POKEMON games by nonGF teams (like Conquest or Mystery Dungeon) that need some room to breathe? Putting Pokemon Conquest 2 next to Pokemon Super Sapphire and Radical Ruby could see either one not getting the sales it should have gotten.

How well does X and Y get received? Will they make more money with X2 and Y2, or maybe they could consider a RS remake? Or maybe they could revisit Sinnoh. Or some completely new area with a mix of existing Pokemon, like Orre's concept.

A remake isn't as easy as "we have the money and the brand is popular, lets do it." If that was all people cared about, we would have gotten a FFVII remake AGES ago, Microsoft would have pumped out NUMEROUS Banjo games by now, and Smash Bros. would probably be an annual release rather than a once-per-console event.

Again, a RS remake is POSSIBLE and I would love to see it done. But it's just not LIKELY. If there IS going to be one, we won't even have the slightest idea until after X and Y are released. I can guarantee you they're waiting to see how well they're received before deciding on how to follow them up.
---
<3 and (/|\) !
http://i.imgur.com/khPxrAW.png
#32Mewtwo_soulPosted 5/5/2013 9:00:37 PM
ReachOutToTruth posted...
Mewtwo_soul posted...

Oh my god you people know nothing about previous gens do you?

I've said it multiple times now:

That time frame of when remakes come out is WHEN THERE IS ABOUT 2 YEARS LEFT FROM THE STANDARD GENERATION WHICH LAST GENERALLY 4 YEARS.

The first two years are the new gen games and their third.

Then the last two years before the next gen usually end on a remake.

It doesn't take away from the new gen, because they've already been working on both, Nintendo has plenty of finances and teams to work on them (developers and more) and they make an easy amount to keep creating them.

To be honest, I didn't like Gen III, does that mean it won't get a remake? no.

We've only ever gotten two distinct sets of games per gen anyway. Gen V got sequels instead of remakes, and will pass without any remakes. Who is to say they won't just do sequels now? Or maybe try something completely different?

And as for the ease of making them, it's not that simple. The game industry is a very complex animal, and Nintendo is a HUGE corporation, and Game Freak isn't the ONLY developer making Pokemon games.

Yes, Nintendo could just poop out a couple million dollars and say "Make us an RS remake" and it would be done. But just because something is profitable doesn't mean it's worth doing.

What's the release schedule for Pokemon games look like in the years following X and Y? What other 1st party titles is Nintendo trying to promote at the time? More importantly, are there any other POKEMON games by nonGF teams (like Conquest or Mystery Dungeon) that need some room to breathe? Putting Pokemon Conquest 2 next to Pokemon Super Sapphire and Radical Ruby could see either one not getting the sales it should have gotten.

How well does X and Y get received? Will they make more money with X2 and Y2, or maybe they could consider a RS remake? Or maybe they could revisit Sinnoh. Or some completely new area with a mix of existing Pokemon, like Orre's concept.

A remake isn't as easy as "we have the money and the brand is popular, lets do it." If that was all people cared about, we would have gotten a FFVII remake AGES ago, Microsoft would have pumped out NUMEROUS Banjo games by now, and Smash Bros. would probably be an annual release rather than a once-per-console event.

Again, a RS remake is POSSIBLE and I would love to see it done. But it's just not LIKELY. If there IS going to be one, we won't even have the slightest idea until after X and Y are released. I can guarantee you they're waiting to see how well they're received before deciding on how to follow them up.

Sequals may as well have taken the place of remakes for one gen. It's the same thing either way. Just going "Sequals are different" overall is silly. Second, you're acting like Pokemon isn't the #2 most selling series of games of all time.

Which is why your statements on trying to correct my comments makes you look silly. I know how the game industry works, as I'm working to become a game designer.

However, Nintendo is a very habitual animal in how they behave with series. Whether it be LoZ starting with remakes of LoZ1/2 on GBA to ALttP on GBA to OoT3DS on 3DS.

It wouldn't be surprising if MM comes to the 3DS or in the future future iterations get ported (updated or remade) to other portables made by Nintendo.

Again, with Pokemon being #2 in the world, and Nintendo being far different from SE and other companies. You learn to expect simple habitual behavior. So far they're pretty much doing the same thing. Whether it was sequals or a remake. Sooner or later it'll likely happen. Right now? Maybe not, but someday...
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#33ReachOutToTruthPosted 5/5/2013 9:27:52 PM
Nintendo's not as habitual as you think. Did anyone expect 2D Mario platformers to come back the way they did? People were asking for them for a while, and NSMB was a big deal at first, but who would have thought they'd have such a strong presence these days?

And who would have guessed Galaxy would get a follow up, when until then, besides the NES, there were only ever one major Mario platformer per console?

And Metroid, which saw 2 games in the 8bit era, on game in the 16 bit era, and completely ignored during the 32/64 bit era only to come back HUGE the following generation.

And then Mario Party, which WAS an annual release until it just dropped off the radar, then 9 came out, and now it's back to limbo.

How about Star Fox or F-Zero, neither of which have any kind of consistent history?

Kirby is completely unpredictable, you never know what it's going to do next.

And Pokemon itself, until now, has only ever had one somewhat consistent gimmick: the third version. Gen 1 was actually 4 games. Red, Green, the special Blue version and then another game made to capitalize on the show.

Crystal was the first instance of an actual "third" version.

Gen 3 came out and gave us 2 primary games, one third version, and one set of remakes. Gen 4 came around and did the same thing. That's only TWO Pokemon generations, hardly enough to establish a pattern. And they've already thrown out the third version AND the remakes this time around in favor of numbered sequels.

Again, it's POSSIBLE. Some day, sure. But to try and insist it's because of some pattern is silly.
---
<3 and (/|\) !
#34Mewtwo_soulPosted 5/5/2013 9:30:38 PM
I'm going to restate my thoughts because I feel my last posts were a little muddled.

Yes, gaming industry is complex, but most of the routines, decisions (for the most part), and protocol , and habbits of specific companies are nomrally clean cut. (IE: When Capcom is mentioned, something is going to go wrong at least in these days)

When discussing you can't take into account all the complex decisions, focus on the simple basis. For instance, I could argue that X and Y could be canceled at anytime which game cancellations of popular titles happen all the time. It probably will not though, let's discuss the same way.

The concept that the remakes were made to give older Pokemon that were unavailable to gen III and IV is a farse at best. If Nintendo had wanted they could have made all kind of ways to obtain Pokemon from said gen without remaking those specific games.

I personally think the only reason Gen III isn't already remade is due to Gen V's lack of any new groundbreaking changes in the battle system (IE: Physical/Special split, Abilities, etc.)

Since BW's story was getting praised with the lack of new groundbreaking mechanics, it was probably better to opt for a continuation or conclusion of the story (for popular characters such as N/etc.) in Gen V] than to rerelease gen III with minor changes aside from the phys/spec split. [This is all conjecture and theory but very well plausible.]

Nintendo has shown time and time again they can fit a second set of Pokemon games every two years or so. (maybe slighty off or shorter time depending)

In general I wouldn't call the sequals a new game by any means if that is what is implied, more of a continuation of the game prior. (BW2 may as well be an expansion that costs the same: Note let's not fight over my comment I mean no negativity by this comment)

In the same regard and mark my words, sooner or later Nintendo will certainly remake the gens. However, I think they've smartened up to the fact that they should wait before just rereleasing a remake every new gen.

Will it happen this gen? Maybe, maybe not.

Will it happen eventually: All signs point to yes.

On my aggression, sorry, when people keep quoting the same things without actually reading my posts I get a little irritated.
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#35Mewtwo_soulPosted 5/5/2013 9:33:47 PM
Nintendo's not as habitual as you think. Did anyone expect 2D Mario platformers to come back the way they did? People were asking for them for a while, and NSMB was a big deal at first, but who would have thought they'd have such a strong presence these days?

And who would have guessed Galaxy would get a follow up, when until then, besides the NES, there were only ever one major Mario platformer per console?

And Metroid, which saw 2 games in the 8bit era, on game in the 16 bit era, and completely ignored during the 32/64 bit era only to come back HUGE the following generation.

And then Mario Party, which WAS an annual release until it just dropped off the radar, then 9 came out, and now it's back to limbo.

How about Star Fox or F-Zero, neither of which have any kind of consistent history?

Kirby is completely unpredictable, you never know what it's going to do next.

And Pokemon itself, until now, has only ever had one somewhat consistent gimmick: the third version. Gen 1 was actually 4 games. Red, Green, the special Blue version and then another game made to capitalize on the show.

Crystal was the first instance of an actual "third" version.

Gen 3 came out and gave us 2 primary games, one third version, and one set of remakes. Gen 4 came around and did the same thing. That's only TWO Pokemon generations, hardly enough to establish a pattern. And they've already thrown out the third version AND the remakes this time around in favor of numbered sequels.

Again, it's POSSIBLE. Some day, sure. But to try and insist it's because of some pattern is silly.

There are patterns within Nintendo's habits, just using irregularities doesn't disprove this fact.

For instance, a man can sleep, work, enjoy casual time, sleep. like that for multiple days in a row, now every once in a while he can have random events happen, but the main portionof his routine is still the same and very predictable.

On that note, considering I'm saying it's eventual is a lot different than just saying "It'll happen this gen because [insert reason here]... The truth is, the original gen remakes weren't made due to just Pokemon. Anyone who believes that is fooling themselves. Obtaining those gens Pokemon would be quite easy for GF/Nintendo. They didn't however, and for good reason.
---
#36ReachOutToTruthPosted 5/5/2013 9:36:28 PM
Well, it seems we agree on that then. (RS getting remade eventually) >_>

I too apologize if I came off as gruff. Didn't mean to be antagonistic or anything.
---
<3 and (/|\) !
#37Mewtwo_soulPosted 5/5/2013 9:39:18 PM
Well, it seems we agree on that then. (RS getting remade eventually) >_>

I too apologize if I came off as gruff. Didn't mean to be antagonistic or anything.

I don't think they'll wait forever to release remakes of III, IV and more. However, I do think they're probably going to put some delay from just releasing a remade gen EVERY new gen. Which isn't too farfetched if so.

It's no problem, besides discussions and or arguments or common on this site, I think you, me and everyone here has just adapted to hostile discussion.
---