This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rank the types from best to worst competitively

#1iKhanicPosted 5/5/2013 4:59:08 PM(edited)
This is considering typing for a pokemon to be, not for their moves, although you can consider STAB

1. Water
2. Dragon
3. Steel
4. Fighting
5. Ground
6. Electric
7. Rock
8. Ghost
9. Dark
10. Fire
11. Flying
12. Psychic
13. Bug
14. Poison
15. Grass
16. Ice
17. Normal
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#2ColtCababaPosted 5/5/2013 4:58:59 PM
Ain't nobo-*shot*
---
Official Crawdaunt of the Pokemon XY Boards and Enforcer of WF
Our house, in the middle of our street.
#3WinsagePosted 5/5/2013 4:59:54 PM
Water is best and Ice is worst. That's all I know.
---
NNid: Windsage
#4Twilight_SonataPosted 5/5/2013 5:35:49 PM
It's so refreshing to see somebody actually place Normal as dead last, where it belongs.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#5Pendragon71037Posted 5/5/2013 5:45:34 PM
Twilight_Sonata posted...
It's so refreshing to see somebody actually place Normal as dead last, where it belongs.

Why? Normal is an incredible type for a tank, Blissey is th prime example of this, only one weakness and an immunity. Yes you don't have Steel's 12(?) resistances, but it's better than average at least. If we consider pokemon, normal types almost always have huge, diverse move pools as well.
---
Chuck Finley is Forever! People that agree: 5. I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and am 100% proud of it. Yeah, it's hot, but it's a dry heat.
#6SalsaSavantPosted 5/5/2013 5:58:37 PM
Normal last?
I guess if you consider the average normals stats, maybe.
But ignoring stats, only 1 weakness +1 immunity isn't bad. Sure, normal attacks can't hit ghosts, but who carries just normal attacks? And Ghosts can't hit them either, so it balances.

The real problem with the type is that a lot of early, deliberately weak Pokes are Normal. That brings the stat average down.
---
On 12/02/12 I said I wouldn't change this until something impossible happened. Now, Earthbound is coming to the US.
#7Twilight_SonataPosted 5/5/2013 6:01:20 PM(edited)
Pendragon71037 posted...
Why? Normal is an incredible type for a tank.

No, it is most certainly not. On the defensive side, Normal has a weakness to Fighting (a terrible type to have a weakness to in today's meta-game), an immunity to Ghost (nothing to write home about), and absolutely no other resistances. Many people see its lack of weaknesses as a strength, but that is not the case. After all, remember how excited everybody was to get Spiritomb, a Pokemon with no weaknesses at all, only to discover that it wasn't actually that good? Well, the reason that it wasn't actually that good was because, despite having no weaknesses, it had little in the way of resistances, and resistances are what a tank really needs to do its job.

Blissey is th prime example of this

Blissey is where it is because of of its absurd HP stat and gratuitous Special Defense on top of that, not because it actually has good typing for its job, and anybody who tells you otherwise does not know what they are talking about. Normal is only good enough defensively to not totally ruin that, in an "I suppose that'll do" sort of way.

Yes you don't have Steel's 12(?) resistances, but it's better than average at least.

That depends on your criteria for definitions. Depending on your definition (and how useful your definition actually is), it's probably better defensively than something like mono-Ice or mono-Rock, but not very much more than that. This is just another one of those misconceptions that people have because these keep getting spread around without anybody actually thinking about them, like that myth that Normal has good neutral coverage offensively even though its offensive neutral coverage can, charitably, best be described as average.

If we consider pokemon, normal types almost always have huge, diverse move pools as well.

That is not any inherent property of being a Normal type, however, so we can pretty safely discard it. Besides, plenty of Pokemon like Starmie and Nidoking have diverse movepools that would put the majority of Normal pokemon to shame.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#8MelkacPosted 5/5/2013 6:05:33 PM
1.- Fighting
2.- Water
3.- Steel
17.- Ice

There.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43C2aBKMqeA
#9ShadowPhoenix81Posted 5/5/2013 6:13:07 PM
Melkac posted...
1.- Fighting
2.- Water
3.- Steel
17.- Ice

There.

Nah. Ice is a great offensive typing.
---
AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2 GHz| PNY GTX 460 | 4 GB Adata 1600 MHz RAM | Corsair TX650 | ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB | NZXT Apollo Black
#10ThatKippPosted 5/5/2013 6:17:21 PM
1. Steel
17. Ice
---
Medicham/Victreebel
3DS FC: 3609-1237-6725