This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So about the whole Fire/Fighting thing...

#1Strain42Posted 5/6/2013 8:28:55 AM
Okay, I realize it's gonna be hard to not start any sort of huge argument with this, but I'm going to try, because this is something I always thought was a little odd.

A lot of people are mad because so far 3 out of 5 of the Fire starters final forms have been Fire/Fighting, right?

And those three Pokemon are the only Fire/Fighting types in all of existence (well okay, technically six, but I'm only counting the final forms here)

So in total, that's six out of 649...that's not that much.

And yet people seem to be really mad about it. But nobody seems to be mad that 3 out of 5 of the final forms of Water and Grass have just been pure Water and pure Grass. True, unlike Fire/Fighting they weren't all in a row, but it's the same ratio. Despite there being tons of other pure water and pure grass types to choose from (admittedly pure grass types are slightly rarer outside of starters)

When I pointed this out, someone said something to me about it...I don't remember what it was, but the gist I got from it was that people would end up being happier if Fennekin was simply pure Fire rather than Fire/Fighting.

...and I just don't understand that. If you want a pure Fire type, there are tons to choose from. Get an Arcanine, get a Heatmor, or a Darmanitan (hell, with the right ability he can even be the Fire/Psychic type that people seem to be hoping Fennekin will be)

I'm not saying I want Fennekin to be Fire/Fighting, I'm just saying why is it such a big deal? Yes, it's repetitive, I won't deny that.

But would another Fire/Fighting really worse than a pure Fire type?

Would you be happier if Fennekin ended up being pure Fire over another Fire/Fighting type?
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#2SteveBobPosted 5/6/2013 8:30:46 AM(edited)
Fire/Fighting is a boring type. Especially in terms of colour.

Enough of that please, I hope Fennekin is Fire/Ground.
---
Would you kindly read this signature?...
PSN: SteveBob7 YouTube: SteveBob104
#3shagohad3Posted 5/6/2013 8:35:24 AM
i'm hoping Fennikin is fire/ghost.
---
PSN: shagohad12
I got a bucket full of my head, and i'm about to make it rain!
#4jayman7Posted 5/6/2013 8:38:17 AM(edited)
Strain42 posted...
Okay, I realize it's gonna be hard to not start any sort of huge argument with this, but I'm going to try, because this is something I always thought was a little odd.

A lot of people are mad because so far 3 out of 5 of the Fire starters final forms have been Fire/Fighting, right?

And those three Pokemon are the only Fire/Fighting types in all of existence (well okay, technically six, but I'm only counting the final forms here)

So in total, that's six out of 649...that's not that much.

But there are only a handful of dualtype combos that exist in more than two unrelated Pokemon as it is. Zero have been done in more than two starters, other than Fire/Fighting. Now, as you point out...

And yet people seem to be really mad about it. But nobody seems to be mad that 3 out of 5 of the final forms of Water and Grass have just been pure Water and pure Grass. True, unlike Fire/Fighting they weren't all in a row, but it's the same ratio. Despite there being tons of other pure water and pure grass types to choose from (admittedly pure grass types are slightly rarer outside of starters)

And actually, that annoys me too, though not quite as much (adding Fighting is deliberately adding a second type; not doing so is basically neglecting to do the same.) Also, pure Grass isn't really all that rare any more.

When I pointed this out, someone said something to me about it...I don't remember what it was, but the gist I got from it was that people would end up being happier if Fennekin was simply pure Fire rather than Fire/Fighting.

...and I just don't understand that. If you want a pure Fire type, there are tons to choose from. Get an Arcanine, get a Heatmor, or a Darmanitan (hell, with the right ability he can even be the Fire/Psychic type that people seem to be hoping Fennekin will be)

Nonetheless, despite all the pure Water and pure Grass starters, pure Fire has only been done in one fully-evolved starter.

Would you be happier if Fennekin ended up being pure Fire over another Fire/Fighting type?

Yes, but not incredibly so. And yes, I'd sooner see Fire/Psychic.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#5Arne83Posted 5/6/2013 8:40:40 AM
Strain42 posted...

No, it's because we got three Fire/Fighting starters in a row.

And yet people seem to be really mad about it. But nobody seems to be mad that 3 out of 5 of the final forms of Water and Grass have just been pure Water and pure Grass. True, unlike Fire/Fighting they weren't all in a row, but it's the same ratio.

Ratio isn't the problem, it's the frequency.

It's better, because it's something we haven't gotten in three generations!

I'm not saying I want Fennekin to be Fire/Fighting, I'm just saying why is it such a big deal? Yes, it's repetitive, I won't deny that.

Good, because that's the main problem. We need something that hasn't been done in the past three generations.

Yes, to both.
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
#6ReachOutToTruthPosted 5/6/2013 8:52:32 AM
I'd rather Fennekin be the first quadruple type, Fire/Ice/Flying/Bug, than to be Fire/Fighting.

I don't see mono-types as equally offensive because, well, that's sort of the point of starter pokemon, to introduce newbies to the type chart. It's certainly a little lazy to not come up with a creative typing, but it's doing what it was originally intended to do.

Blaziken was the first, and it was somewhat novel. Infernape I'll let pass because it seemed like they were trying to come up with a two-way triangle in Gen 4. At their final evolutions, all the starters had a STAB SE attack against either of the other two.

Gen V was just excessive. The fighting-type added nothing to the triangle, it had been done twice before, and Emboar is arguably the worst of the lot anyway.
---
<3 and (/|\) !
http://i.imgur.com/khPxrAW.png
#7Great_ReapettePosted 5/6/2013 9:20:40 AM
fennekin's final form better be fire/fighting or i will go and beat up nintendo and quit pogeymanz 4evr
---
Anatidaephobia is the fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you, staring into your soul, using its duckiness.
QUACK.
#8dwdwdw6Posted 5/6/2013 9:24:30 AM
Strain42 posted...
O

I think its more of a flavour thing than battling prowess which most people want.
#9SilverSockPosted 5/6/2013 9:24:51 AM
What makes me mad is that gen 5 literally picked the most boring types possible for its starters. Looking up through gen 4, 1/2 of Grass starters were pure, 1/2 of all Water starters were pure, and 1/2 of all Fire starters were Fire/Fighting. The remaining half of the starters were all unique typing.

So what does Gen 5 bring? Pure Grass, Pure Water, Fire/Fighting. ****ing idiots came up with that one. Really, most of Gen 5 was pretty well done, but they dropped the ball on the starters.
---
I summoned a baby to attract a lion. It didn't seem to work, so I tried a delicious baby.
Regular baby ATE delicious baby. Horror....horror.~Gameplayingperson
#10VegantoKeensPosted 5/6/2013 10:15:12 AM(edited)
I actually liked it, but I thought Emboar was just pushing it. Hell all the Gen 5 starters were pretty boring and old news. Serperior looks awesome, but it is a pretty linear grass type. The other two I just think are plain awful.
---
GMT + 1
PSN = William-Lake