This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So about the whole Fire/Fighting thing...

#21M4nnimalPosted 5/6/2013 12:42:11 PM
KillerMechanoid posted...
I wouldn't mind Fennekin becoming Fire/Fighting on one condition.

It must be a special-oriented ki-user with high special attack and Aura Sphere, and not a brawler like the previous three. I would rage if it was yet another physical brawler.

I still really don't want it to be Fire/Fighting, but this is somewhat tolerable.
---
"We thirsted for thunderbolts and great deeds."
#22VampLordAdamaruPosted 5/6/2013 12:55:03 PM
As a Dual-Type set for starters, how about something like this:

Fire/Electric
Grass/Rock
Water/Fighting

That would then give each of them an inverted Type-advantage.

It would be one new Type Combo, and two rarely-done Type Combos (Fire/Electric having only been done for Heat Rotom).
---
Founder - IRDC AND Fluffy the Friendly Deathclaw Fanclub
ULCE#: 9,426 of 53,160; Misty is mine!
#23Blues255Posted 5/6/2013 2:02:29 PM
VampLordAdamaru posted...

Fire/Electric
Grass/Rock
Water/Fighting

It would be one new Type Combo, and two rarely-done Type Combos (Fire/Electric having only been done for Heat Rotom).

Cool idea, except for Water/Fighting, but only because the three-stage amphibian Water-type has been done twice already, and one of them is Water/Fighting already.

Maybe Water/Ice, with some sort of weather theme? I know it goes against your whole unique-type-combo idea though.
---
Chocobos. Chocobos everywhere.
#24Grammar_manPosted 5/6/2013 2:11:47 PM(edited)
ReachOutToTruth posted...
I'd rather Fennekin be the first quadruple type, Fire/Ice/Flying/Bug, than to be Fire/Fighting.

I don't see mono-types as equally offensive because, well, that's sort of the point of starter pokemon, to introduce newbies to the type chart. It's certainly a little lazy to not come up with a creative typing, but it's doing what it was originally intended to do.

Blaziken was the first, and it was somewhat novel. Infernape I'll let pass because it seemed like they were trying to come up with a two-way triangle in Gen 4. At their final evolutions, all the starters had a STAB SE attack against either of the other two.

Gen V was just excessive. The fighting-type added nothing to the triangle, it had been done twice before, and Emboar is arguably the worst of the lot anyway.

Emboar= RU(Decent amount of usage in that tier)
Samurott= NU(High Usage within that tier)
Serperior= NU(Low Usage within that tier)

It's the best starter of the fifth gen, and it owes a LOT of it to it's typing.

But would another Fire/Fighting really worse than a pure Fire type?

No. Never.

Would you be happier if Fennekin ended up being pure Fire over another Fire/Fighting type?

Adding two mons at most to a pool of 6 total sharing the typing is never a worse choice than adding it to a pool of 20+.

I'd rather they'd keep making the Fire Starters have Fighting-type for every game that will ever come out than make them pure fire. We are getting good numbers of those anyways.

Pure Water is even worse though.
#25VampLordAdamaruPosted 5/6/2013 2:13:53 PM
Blues255 posted...

Fire/Electric
Grass/Rock
Water/Fighting

Cool idea, except for Water/Fighting, but only because the three-stage amphibian Water-type has been done twice already, and one of them is Water/Fighting already.

Maybe Water/Ice, with some sort of weather theme? I know it goes against your whole unique-type-combo idea though.

I know Water/Fighting has been done with Poliwrath and Keldeo, but it's still a rarely-done Type Combo, hence why I said "one new Type Combo and two rarely-done Type Combos."

And who said it had to be an amphibian...? ^__~

And Water/Ice has been done four times, one of which is a three-stage, and is Dual-Typed from the the get-go. :P
---
#26Blues255Posted 5/6/2013 2:22:17 PM
Blues255 posted...
stuff

stuff

I know Water/Fighting has been done with Poliwrath and Keldeo, but it's still a rarely-done Type Combo, hence why I said "one new Type Combo and two rarely-done Type Combos."

And who said it had to be an amphibian...? ^__~

And Water/Ice has been done four times, one of which is a three-stage, and is Dual-Typed from the the get-go. :P

Well, Froakie... I mean... it's Froakie. Even if we were blind and couldn't tell by sight that the design is based on a frog of some sort, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that "Froakie" comes from "frog" and "croak." And maybe "froth" for, you know, some water words.

As far as I know, aside from Castform, there are no Ice-type Pokemon that are based on clouds and weather, so while the type combination isn't original, the theme is.

I actually forgot about Keldeo, haha. I was referring to how we already have two (unless I'm forgetting some) water-type lines based on frogs: Poliwag and Tympole, and one of them is already Water/Fighting.
---
Chocobos. Chocobos everywhere.
#27VampLordAdamaruPosted 5/6/2013 2:25:37 PM
Blues255 posted...
Well, Froakie... I mean... it's Froakie. Even if we were blind and couldn't tell by sight that the design is based on a frog of some sort, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that "Froakie" comes from "frog" and "croak." And maybe "froth" for, you know, some water words.

As far as I know, aside from Castform, there are no Ice-type Pokemon that are based on clouds and weather, so while the type combination isn't original, the theme is.

I actually forgot about Keldeo, haha. I was referring to how we already have two (unless I'm forgetting some) water-type lines based on frogs: Poliwag and Tympole, and one of them is already Water/Fighting.

*Facepalm.* I... Honestly completely forgot Froakie even existed... -.-;; (It's been a long day, and that's how forgettable he is to me...)
---
#28jayman7Posted 5/6/2013 2:55:27 PM(edited)
Fire/Electric
Grass/Rock
Water/Fighting

Grass/Rock isn't weak to Fire (or Electric). Also, you claimed there was a unique type combo here, but none of them are (you said this separately from Heat Rotom, so I know you didn't overlook him. From context, perhaps it was Cradily you forgot?)
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#29VampLordAdamaruPosted 5/6/2013 2:58:45 PM
jayman7 posted...
Fire/Electric
Grass/Rock
Water/Fighting

Grass/Rock isn't weak to Fire (or Electric). Also, you claimed there was a unique type combo here, but none of them are (you said this separately from Heat Rotom, so I know you didn't overlook him. From context, perhaps it was Cradily you forgot?)

Damn, I forgot Grass/Rock gives Fire a neutral, and yeah, I forgot Cradily... >.<;

I was trying to do something different yet balanced, and failed... Ah well...
---
#30pokemonfreak97Posted 5/6/2013 3:01:24 PM
The only reason people don't like it is because it's overdone. Essentially, you have the naturally quick and strong Infernape, you have the even stronger but slower (and with Speed Boost) Blaziken, and then... you have Emboar. They tried to make him bulky but strong (a choice they made with all the Unova starters) and they failed.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4