This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So why did people have a problem with Iris being champion?

#61BountyanPosted 5/7/2013 12:35:55 PM(edited)
Because I'm tired of high level trainers who specialize in dragons
Because it was completely random

Something like Marshal would have even made more sense.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#621ultimaPosted 5/7/2013 12:51:47 PM
My problem with Iris is that she does nothing to help.

In BW1, she showed you to two buildings that you could of found by yourself and depending on the version, expositioned about a legend you probably could of guessed by yourself with all the foreshadowing it got.

In BW2, she showed you where the sewers were, gave you some berries and that was it.

Even Alder did more than her.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC:4427 9362 7702
3DS FC: 1891-1152-0901
#63LexifoxPosted 5/7/2013 12:55:29 PM
Bountyan posted...

It wasn't random. She's regularly said to be a prodigy on par with Drayden and his disciple, and the games follow a heavy theme of youth overtaking the old.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#64snuffles504Posted 5/7/2013 12:57:44 PM
To me, both Gen 5 champions represented the "Pokemon isn't about fighting, it's about having fun and loving everyone while sharing cupcakes full of rainbows and sunshine!" idea that has come to prevalence in the most recent games.

Both of their themes are anticlimactic with no sense of urgency. They feel more like I'm on fun a gameshow than in a showdown with the most powerful trainer in the region. If the themes were part of, say, the PWT or Battle Frontier then I would actually love them, but as a Champion theme they both undermine the excitement of the battle.

At least Alder isn't horrible personality-wise, and he has the tragic backstory with his first Pokemon to make him somewhat of an interesting character. The story we have on Iris is that she's a dragon-training child prodigy. *coughmarysuecough* The rest of her personality falls flat. I disliked Iris as a Gym Leader, so a promotion to Champion is even worse.

Then there's her attire. As someone earlier stated, she looks like a princess that's trying to wear the queen's clothing. When Iris showed up in Castelia I thought it was Halloween or something. It would be one thing if she only wore the pink princess dress and tiara in her champion room, but how does wearing that thing around in public make her look like a Champion (if that's the reasoning for her wearing it)? The other Champions have mostly-sensible choices in clothing with a little bit of flair to say, "Hey, look at me. I'm the Champion." Lance's jumpsuit is really the only thing that seems odd. Iris just looks like a little girl who loves to wear her Disney Princess dress everywhere.

Her team isn't horrible, but she is horribly easy. This might just be a flaw of BW2 in general, but either way she suffers from it. I completely dominated the BW2 Elite Four, and only Iris's Haxorus gave me any trouble because of the Focus Sash. And by "trouble" I mean it KO'd my Outrage Arcanine (and was then immediately KO'd by my Starmie).

I actually like her team's dinosaur theme and her champion room, but it's not enough to make up for the fact that she is in every other way a little girl.
---
....because shutup.
R - Hyuck hyuck hyuck!
#65LexifoxPosted 5/7/2013 1:04:31 PM
I wonder how many people who criticize Iris for her "princess dress" would feel differently if they saw it as a priestess thing.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#66CakeOfLiesPosted 5/7/2013 1:08:12 PM
snuffles504 posted...
To me, both Gen 5 champions represented the "Pokemon isn't about fighting, it's about having fun and loving everyone while sharing cupcakes full of rainbows and sunshine!" idea that has come to prevalence in the most recent games.

Both of their themes are anticlimactic with no sense of urgency. They feel more like I'm on fun a gameshow than in a showdown with the most powerful trainer in the region. If the themes were part of, say, the PWT or Battle Frontier then I would actually love them, but as a Champion theme they both undermine the excitement of the battle.

At least Alder isn't horrible personality-wise, and he has the tragic backstory with his first Pokemon to make him somewhat of an interesting character. The story we have on Iris is that she's a dragon-training child prodigy. *coughmarysuecough* The rest of her personality falls flat. I disliked Iris as a Gym Leader, so a promotion to Champion is even worse.

Then there's her attire. As someone earlier stated, she looks like a princess that's trying to wear the queen's clothing. When Iris showed up in Castelia I thought it was Halloween or something. It would be one thing if she only wore the pink princess dress and tiara in her champion room, but how does wearing that thing around in public make her look like a Champion (if that's the reasoning for her wearing it)? The other Champions have mostly-sensible choices in clothing with a little bit of flair to say, "Hey, look at me. I'm the Champion." Lance's jumpsuit is really the only thing that seems odd. Iris just looks like a little girl who loves to wear her Disney Princess dress everywhere.

Her team isn't horrible, but she is horribly easy. This might just be a flaw of BW2 in general, but either way she suffers from it. I completely dominated the BW2 Elite Four, and only Iris's Haxorus gave me any trouble because of the Focus Sash. And by "trouble" I mean it KO'd my Outrage Arcanine (and was then immediately KO'd by my Starmie).

I actually like her team's dinosaur theme and her champion room, but it's not enough to make up for the fact that she is in every other way a little girl.

Wow...
You just nailed it.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Pokemon White 2 FC: 4342-3001-3593.
#67PkmTrainerAbramPosted 5/7/2013 1:09:59 PM
Lexifox posted...
I wonder how many people who criticize Iris for her "princess dress" would feel differently if they saw it as a priestess thing.

Would carry more weight if she had the sensibilities or duties of a priestess. Not saying that it isn't inspired by it, but with the bratty attitude and music, it doesn't help if people see a princess.

Either way I look at it now, her personality sucks and the choice of clothing doesn't really factor into my feelings. I think she looks awesome, I just don't like her.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Platinum(493/493 now a 3 Star Trainer!), Pokemon HeartGold(JPN) run 470/493, Rocket Knight Adventures, and Comic Zone(Sega Genesis)
#68LexifoxPosted 5/7/2013 1:14:14 PM
PkmTrainerAbram posted...
Lexifox posted...

Would carry more weight if she had the sensibilities or duties of a priestess. Not saying that it isn't inspired by it, but with the bratty attitude and music, it doesn't help if people see a princess.

Either way I look at it now, her personality sucks and the choice of clothing doesn't really factor into my feelings. I think she looks awesome, I just don't like her.

How's she bratty?
---
#69PkmTrainerAbramPosted 5/7/2013 1:18:02 PM
Lexifox posted...
PkmTrainerAbram posted...
Lexifox posted...

How's she bratty?

Anime representation like said before. Even if not directly connected into the game cannon, it still factors into my feelings for the character. It's how people view Shinji from Eva as whiny, even though his manga counterpart is just sarcastic and cold.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Platinum(493/493 now a 3 Star Trainer!), Pokemon HeartGold(JPN) run 470/493, Rocket Knight Adventures, and Comic Zone(Sega Genesis)
#70BountyanPosted 5/7/2013 1:19:17 PM
Lexifox posted...
Bountyan posted...

It wasn't random. She's regularly said to be a prodigy on par with Drayden and his disciple, and the games follow a heavy theme of youth overtaking the old.

It was still random bro. There are a lot of trainers that would have made more sense than Iris.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo