This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So why did people have a problem with Iris being champion?

#71EchoPhoenixPosted 5/7/2013 1:24:52 PM
snuffles504 posted...
Then there's her attire. As someone earlier stated, she looks like a princess that's trying to wear the queen's clothing. When Iris showed up in Castelia I thought it was Halloween or something. It would be one thing if she only wore the pink princess dress and tiara in her champion room, but how does wearing that thing around in public make her look like a Champion (if that's the reasoning for her wearing it)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoUSbmByPZY#t=20m17s

She only wore it in the Champion's room and in the Memory Link cutscene. She didn't wear it in Castelia.
#72LexifoxPosted 5/7/2013 1:31:19 PM
PkmTrainerAbram posted...
Anime representation like said before. Even if not directly connected into the game cannon, it still factors into my feelings for the character. It's how people view Shinji from Eva as whiny, even though his manga counterpart is just sarcastic and cold.

Then you admit that your complaints are basically illogical bias? I'd imagine the reason for that, incidentally, is that more people watched the show than read the manga. Even then, aren't those people discussing the anime version of Shinji and not the manga incarnation?

Bountyan posted...
It was still random bro. There are a lot of trainers that would have made more sense than Iris.

Which trainer is established as being strong and would follow the theme of the old making way for the young?
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#73BountyanPosted 5/7/2013 1:34:19 PM
Lexifox posted...
Which trainer is established as being strong and would follow the theme of the old making way for the young?

The B/W protagonist, for one. And they didn't have to get the champion replaced by a young trainer just because of an obscure theme in the games. By that logic, Drayden, Clay, and just about every other notable adult should have gotten replaced too.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#74snuffles504Posted 5/7/2013 1:35:01 PM
EchoPhoenix posted...
snuffles504 posted...
Then there's her attire. As someone earlier stated, she looks like a princess that's trying to wear the queen's clothing. When Iris showed up in Castelia I thought it was Halloween or something. It would be one thing if she only wore the pink princess dress and tiara in her champion room, but how does wearing that thing around in public make her look like a Champion (if that's the reasoning for her wearing it)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoUSbmByPZY#t=20m17s

She only wore it in the Champion's room and in the Memory Link cutscene. She didn't wear it in Castelia.

Well look at that. Dunno what I was smoking.

Alright, so I take back the Disney Princess dress comment. But it's still a ridiculous outfit.
---
....because shutup.
R - Hyuck hyuck hyuck!
#75LexifoxPosted 5/7/2013 1:43:14 PM
Bountyan posted...
Lexifox posted...

The B/W protagonist, for one. And they didn't have to get the champion replaced by a young trainer just because of an obscure theme in the games.

BW1 protagonist isn't in Unova and canonically left to pursue N. Including Hildabert would also have a host of problems like the team: If they did it like with Red, you're looking at a LOT of Fire Pokemon. Canonically, they also seem to have two Legendary Pokemon. Stats would really work against you.

Also, obscure? Alder's traveling around specifically because he's getting old and wants to impart his lessons on the younger trainers he meets. In-universe he's getting a reputation as a strong traner past his prime.

By that logic, Drayden, Clay, and just about every other notable adult should have gotten replaced too.

No? Drayden is the only one who seems to have a pupil, and she's not only on par with him but depending on the version she's already taken over his role. The only one who would make sense would be Cheren or Marshal: the former's story arc is still explored as a gym leader while the latter trained under Alder.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#76VegantoKeensPosted 5/7/2013 1:44:30 PM
I thought her intro animation was hilarious and her theme was pretty cool, but it all made it seem like such a joke. The fight was a complete cakewalk and I can't remember a single pokemon she used. She was worse than Lance. I will admit in the same game Ghetsis orders to get you killed and fights you with no less than 7 pokemon, while ramming his cane through a frozen solid rock floor, WHILE also having his killer theme playing. No one could phase me after **** like that. Iris didn't stand a chance.

So I don't hate her, but she isn't champion material. Another damn dragon trainer too.
---
GMT + 1
PSN = William-Lake
#77EchoPhoenixPosted 5/7/2013 1:45:09 PM
Lexifox posted...

Besides Hilbert/Hilda? (which I'm glad didn't happen)

Anyways, not saying that this would make "more sense," but they could've written Cheren for that role, because he's had steady growth throughout BW1, at least to the point of being stronger than the E4.

Of course, that would also be kind of boring since the Champion in the sequel would've just been the rival that we've constantly trounced in the last game. >_>

They could've also had Benga, only with more screentime in BW2 to make up for no appearance in BW1. But he would be boring too. >_>

snuffles504 posted...
Alright, so I take back the Disney Princess dress comment. But it's still a ridiculous outfit.

Ridiculous fashion seems to be what's trending in Unova for BW2. Particularly for hairstyles (Nate and Rosa, Benga, etc.).
#78CM_PonchPosted 5/7/2013 1:49:14 PM
My only problem with Iris is that she does nothing unless you played White version. You don't get to battle her in Black and all she does in Black 2 is tell you where the sewers are. She's the first champion that isn't really involved with the story.
---
http://i.minus.com/ibaA0poozfqtmX.gif
http://i.imgur.com/0Ccy1.png
#79BountyanPosted 5/7/2013 1:54:15 PM(edited)
Lexifox posted...

BW1 protagonist isn't in Unova and canonically left to pursue N. Including Hildabert would also have a host of problems like the team: If they did it like with Red, you're looking at a LOT of Fire Pokemon. Canonically, they also seem to have two Legendary Pokemon. Stats would really work against you.

Does it matter if they'd have a lot of fire Pokemon? Alder has a lot of bugs and Iris has a lot of dragons. Having a legendary is a moot point considering B/W went just fine with one of the final trainers having a legendary. If anything it would be cooler to make it more challenging. I'm not sure what the second one you're talking about is. Victini? They don't necessarily have to use it.

Lexifox posted...

Also, obscure? Alder's traveling around specifically because he's getting old and wants to impart his lessons on the younger trainers he meets. In-universe he's getting a reputation as a strong traner past his prime.

Yes, obscure. They barely mention or use that theme in the games at all. The primary theme of the game is truth vs ideals.

Lexifox posted...

No? Drayden is the only one who seems to have a pupil, and she's not only on par with him but depending on the version she's already taken over his role. The only one who would make sense would be Cheren or Marshal: the former's story arc is still explored as a gym leader while the latter trained under Alder.

Why do they have to be pupils? Iris certainly wasn't Alder's pupil. Plus I already said Marshal would have made more sense. Iris just seems out of the blue considering she had little to no relationship with Alder in B/W.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#80LexifoxPosted 5/7/2013 2:01:30 PM(edited)
CM_Ponch posted...
My only problem with Iris is that she does nothing unless you played White version. You don't get to battle her in Black and all she does in Black 2 is tell you where the sewers are. She's the first champion that isn't really involved with the story.

In Black/White she helps defend Bianca and trains with her so she can become stronger. She eventually helps to tell you the legend of Reshiram and Zekrom. Both versions show her as being a student of Drayden, with one having her battle in his stead and the other having her know how to teach Dragons their ultimate attack. After this, she shows up with Drayden to help deal with the Sages.

BW2 is a fair point, so an extent. She's at Castelia to help you deal with Plasma, she now only directs you to Drayden, and she has her Memory Link... so 2 1/2?
---