This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Idea for dark/psychic/fighting trio

#1TIGERJACKS0N-Posted 5/6/2013 2:46:06 PM
I've seen reasons against this, saying that grass/fire/water is the choice starter because it's balanced or whatever, helps new players adjust. but other reasons are because the bright colors help new young players identify more, and help newer players identify the basis of typings more easily. So how about in this game, maybe after you beat the game, you can travel to a smaller sub-region, where you get a new starter of your choice between psychic/fighting/dark trio, and a long with the sub region, are, past gen pokes, and some of this games pokemon on the island you couldn't get before post-game. You cannot bring your old pokemon to the island until you beat it, so it's like replaying the game without starting a new file!!!
---
Everyday the sun comes up around her, she can make the birds, sing harmony!
http://i.imgur.com/VBsWOu2.png <3 Ain't no woman like the one i got..
#2Great_ReapettePosted 5/6/2013 2:48:04 PM
Chespin: Grass/Psychic
Froakie: Water/Dark
Fennikin: Fire/Fighting.

Isn't it marvelous?
---
Anatidaephobia is the fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you, staring into your soul, using its duckiness.
QUACK.
#3TIGERJACKS0N-(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2013 2:52:36 PM
& I meant starters
---
#4M4nnimalPosted 5/6/2013 2:52:59 PM
Great_Reapette posted...

Isn't it marvelous?

Would much prefer:

Grass/Dark
Water/Fighting
Fire/Psychic
---
"We thirsted for thunderbolts and great deeds."
#5alpha-apePosted 5/6/2013 2:53:16 PM
M4nnimal posted...
Great_Reapette posted...

Isn't it marvelous?

Would much prefer:

Grass/Dark
Water/Fighting
Fire/Psychic

This
---
Official Jigglypuff of the Super Smash Bros. Wii U boards
#6SteveBobPosted 5/6/2013 2:55:01 PM
I would much rather have Dark/Fighting/Psychic starters. Would make a nice change and there's nothing unbalanced about it.
---
Would you kindly read this signature?...
PSN: SteveBob7 YouTube: SteveBob104
#7MetaFalconPunchPosted 5/6/2013 3:00:42 PM
SteveBob posted...
I would much rather have Dark/Fighting/Psychic starters. Would make a nice change and there's nothing unbalanced about it.

Psychic=/=damage to Dark type.
---
Pretend this signature is a basilisk. You are now dead.
#8jayman7Posted 5/6/2013 3:08:32 PM(edited)
I can see the one argument in favor of starters having Fire/Water/Grass as their primary types - it's intuitive to new players - but just that one.

Secondary types can be nearly anything that doesn't completely wreck the triangle (in theory, what's to stop them from wrecking the triangle? But I don't think they'll do it. Empoleon becoming a Steel-type does not wreck the triangle - Torterra's a Ground-type, after all.) The fourth gen's two-way triangle could work even better with Fighting/Dark/Psychic dualtypes - let's just keep the Fighting type away from the Fire type this time around.

I still find the "unbalanced" argument ("Dark is immune to Psychic instead of just resistant! How unbalanced!!!1") to be ridiculous - the starters aren't really meant to be balanced (if you disagree, ask Venusaur how it feels about Charizard's double-resistance to Grass), made all the sillier by the fact that most of us are talking about final form two-way triangle starters (OMG how can a Fire/Psychic Pokémon ever hit a Grass/Dark Pokémon! Dark is immune to Psychic! And Grass is immune to Fi... oh wait no it isn't.)

Anyway, as I keep pointing out though no one ever seems to pay attention, the Rotation/Triple battle trainers in BW1's Opelucid City use a Simisage/Simisear/Simipour (Grass, Fire, Water), and a Mienfoo/Pawniard/Elgyem (Fighting, Dark(/Steel), Psychic). Clearly GameFreak recognizes the triangle.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#9TIGERJACKS0N-(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2013 3:13:59 PM
MetaFalconPunch posted...
SteveBob posted...

Psychic=/=damage to Dark type.

But then why would you even use the move, on the other type is supposed to resist
---
#10HeyWheresKelPosted 5/6/2013 3:18:48 PM
Great_Reapette posted...

Isn't it marvelous?

Hell no.

Chespin would have so many weaknesses.
---
"I see the way you look at him. I'm a man too, ya know? I go pee pee standing up!"
http://i.imgur.com/DtiOyo0.png