This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does the ability that I run change a Pokemon's tier?

#1M4nnimalPosted 5/6/2013 6:47:53 PM
Like, if I run Politoed with Water Absorb instead of Drizzle, is it still restricted to OU<?

Or, Hippowdon with Sand Force?

Just curious. It seems kind of silly to put Politoed in OU without the only thing that makes it useful in that tier.
---
"We thirsted for thunderbolts and great deeds."
#2jayman7Posted 5/6/2013 6:52:34 PM(edited)
No, because Smogon doesn't like "complicated bans", such as "Speed Boost Blaziken". They prefer simple bans, like including Swift Swim and Drizzle on separate Pokémon on the same team.

No, I don't understand it either. And I'll normally defend Smogon against its sillier detractors despite not being a competitive player myself.

But because I'm not a competitive player, I just shrug and move on.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#3KeeperOfShadowsPosted 5/6/2013 6:52:35 PM
I want to say they stay the same tier, but I'm not 100% certain(90%)
---
A voice of reason, in a chaotic realm.
You're too angry... calm down... and let the madness take hold. - Arne83
#4Rad_DudesmanPosted 5/6/2013 6:53:49 PM
No.

Smogon doesn't do complex bans.

And the tiers are based on usage anyway, not stats or abilities.
#5BrayWyattPosted 5/6/2013 6:55:43 PM(edited)
No, because Smogon doesn't like "complicated bans", such as "Speed Boost Blaziken". They prefer simple bans, like including Swift Swim and Drizzle on separate Pokémon on the same team.

No, I don't understand it either. And I'll normally defend Smogon against its sillier detractors despite not being a competitive player myself.

And instead of just banning Politoed, they ban the 3 best rain sweepers.
---
Believe in Bray Wyatt
#6M4nnimal(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2013 6:55:25 PM
Ah, that's what I thought. Thanks for the replies.
---
"We thirsted for thunderbolts and great deeds."
#7DoctorJimmy133Posted 5/6/2013 6:57:47 PM

Not to mention certain Pokémon being banned, when they're only broken when weather-starters are on the same team. (Manaphy, Excadrill)
---
Why do I have to move with the crowd of kids that hardly notice I'm around? I work myself to death just to fit in.