This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sylveon is definitely Dragon

#41BountyanPosted 5/7/2013 3:32:13 PM
Arne83 posted...
I have seen both interpreted in different ways. So no, not evidence.

In different ways how? All of its names are synonyms or relate to "fairy." Just like how every other Eeveelutions have names that relate to its type. "Fee" is literally "Fairy" in German. You cannot construe it any other way. Every Eeveelution has a look that represents a stereotype of its type. Sylveon represents none of the current ones, while it does have elements of a stereotypical fairy. The best argument I've seen for the name and look are normal type, but the name doesn't quite fit because the number of normal types that are also fairies are in the minority. There are also Fairy Pokemon that aren't normal type.

Arne83 posted...

That does not inherently mean that it must be a new type. They could just as easily be hiding to increase interest for the games.

It does not inherently mean it, but it does support it. I don't think they've ever have hyped up hidden types before, let alone this much. If they're suddenly doing it so much now, then there's a good chance that it's something big.

Arne83 posted...

I can't read Japanese... so I'm gonna need more than just your word on this.

http://www.southperry.net/showthread.php?t=62499&page=16&p=1098270&viewfull=1#post1098270

This is posted by a guy who frequently translates stuff for a MMO.

Arne83 posted...

How, exactly?

A Pokemon's type is the same as its biological property. If the theme of the games is biology, then making a new possible attribute of a Pokemon's biology fits. Just like how 3rd gen's theme was nature, and it introduced Pokemon natures.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#42jayman7Posted 5/7/2013 3:36:06 PM
Bountyan posted...
Just like how 3rd gen's theme was nature, and it introduced Pokemon natures.

If the third gen is about nature, then it's about natural surroundings - not a personality, which is what a Pokémon's "nature" means. And... kind of a reach anyway. What new gameplay element was introduced regarding truth vs. ideals/yin vs. yang/etc. in the fifth gen?

I'm not saying it won't be a new type, I'm just saying this argument doesn't work.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#43BountyanPosted 5/7/2013 3:41:03 PM
jayman7 posted...
Bountyan posted...

If the third gen is about nature, then it's about natural surroundings - not a personality, which is what a Pokémon's "nature" means. And... kind of a reach anyway. What new gameplay element was introduced regarding truth vs. ideals/yin vs. yang/etc. in the fifth gen?

I'm not saying it won't be a new type, I'm just saying this argument doesn't work.

Black and White introduced different areas depending on the version. White has a foresty natural area, while Black has a technological city, each with different features. Fits into the "opposites" theme pretty damn well.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#44jayman7Posted 5/7/2013 3:42:48 PM
Bountyan posted...
jayman7 posted...
Bountyan posted...

Black and White introduced different areas depending on the version. White has a foresty natural area, while Black has a technological city, each with different features. Fits into the "opposites" theme pretty damn well.

That was more a gimmick than a real gameplay mechanic. But whatever floats your boat I guess.
---
#45Strain42Posted 5/7/2013 3:55:25 PM
I never understood the argument of "All Eeveelutions have to resist themselves!"

I never understood that logic. I mean yeah it's true, a lot of types resist themselves.

I'm just saying I personally find it hard to believe that GameFreak was considering doing a Ground type Eeveelution back in Gen 4 but somebody went "No wait, Ground doesn't resist itself!" and then the entire room went "Oh yeah...well screw that idea then."
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#46jayman7Posted 5/7/2013 4:00:53 PM
Strain42 posted...
I never understood the argument of "All Eeveelutions have to resist themselves!"

It's the same sort of logic as the "all-formerly-special type" deal the TC used - it's trying to find a pattern that's probably a coincidence.
---
#47blackshoelacePosted 5/7/2013 4:24:30 PM
jayman7 posted...
Strain42 posted...

It's the same sort of logic as the "all-formerly-special type" deal the TC used - it's trying to find a pattern that's probably a coincidence.

Why weren't the Gen 4 Eeveelutions Poison and Steel type?
---
GoldenEye 007: [DS]Renfreak @ 2641-0130-7739
#48silverwing525Posted 5/8/2013 7:35:56 PM
dswizard posted...
So I've been convinced for a while that Sylveon was flying, but changed my mind given the following evidence:

Of all the originally special types: grass, fire, water, electric, psychic, ice, dragon and dark - only dragon has not been represented with an eeveelution. Similarly, no eeveelutions have received a traditionally physical type!

Sylveon's colouring is red and blue - the traditional dragon colours in the ruby/sapphire and related type sprites.

"soft" dragons such as dragonair and altaria have been released - it's perfectly possible for a pokemon to be dragon without being vicious. Similarly, let's use the reverse argument: all eeveelutions are cute, so if they *were* to make a dragon type eeveelution, what would it look like? Answer: Sylveon.

Dragons are mythical, sylph is related to that. OK that's more of a stretch than the other arguments but again it's as close as a dragon eeveelution could be. What else are they supposed to call it?

Honestly I'd be very surprised if Sylveon turns out to be a type other than dragon, it makes too much sense for it to be dragon!

You know, After looking at its picture, I have to say, I think that you may be on to something here. People have been calling for a dragon-type eevelution for ages now(yes I know, people have also been asking for Ghost and Flying types as well...) and Sylveon's color palette does seem to suggest the "soft" dragon look... While its name could be used to describe a Normal-Type or a new "Fairy type", it does seem more likely that it is describing Sylveon's Dragon typing as BOTH fairies AND dragons are mythical creatures.

All in all, I hope that you are right. Of all the new eveelution types, I myself would like a Dragon-type Eveelution best.
---
Let the Silver Light of Justice fill the world!
Official Lugia of PMD
#49ReachOutToTruthPosted 5/8/2013 7:53:17 PM
The only reason all other Eevees resist themselves is because, well...all other special types resist themselves. Dragon is the only special type that doesn't.

So you have three options is you MUST go by pattern.

Sylv is dragon, based on the fact that Eevees are typically special types.

Sylv is either Steel or Poison, because it has to resist itself.

Third, Sylv doesn't have a type, because there are no more classic special types that resist themselves.
---
<3 and (/|\) !
http://i.imgur.com/khPxrAW.png
#50dswizard(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2013 1:15:06 PM
silverwing525 posted...
dswizard posted...
So I've been convinced for a while that Sylveon was flying, but changed my mind given the following evidence:

Of all the originally special types: grass, fire, water, electric, psychic, ice, dragon and dark - only dragon has not been represented with an eeveelution. Similarly, no eeveelutions have received a traditionally physical type!

Sylveon's colouring is red and blue - the traditional dragon colours in the ruby/sapphire and related type sprites.

"soft" dragons such as dragonair and altaria have been released - it's perfectly possible for a pokemon to be dragon without being vicious. Similarly, let's use the reverse argument: all eeveelutions are cute, so if they *were* to make a dragon type eeveelution, what would it look like? Answer: Sylveon.

Dragons are mythical, sylph is related to that. OK that's more of a stretch than the other arguments but again it's as close as a dragon eeveelution could be. What else are they supposed to call it?

Honestly I'd be very surprised if Sylveon turns out to be a type other than dragon, it makes too much sense for it to be dragon!

You know, After looking at its picture, I have to say, I think that you may be on to something here. People have been calling for a dragon-type eevelution for ages now(yes I know, people have also been asking for Ghost and Flying types as well...) and Sylveon's color palette does seem to suggest the "soft" dragon look... While its name could be used to describe a Normal-Type or a new "Fairy type", it does seem more likely that it is describing Sylveon's Dragon typing as BOTH fairies AND dragons are mythical creatures.

All in all, I hope that you are right. Of all the new eveelution types, I myself would like a Dragon-type Eveelution best.

Thanks! I do think it's dragon more and more each day. No way they're introducing a new type this late in the game's history.