This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I feel like I'm the only 20+yo pokemon player that only uses Pokemon he likes

#21RingsOfUranusPosted 5/7/2013 10:37:37 PM
BrayWyatt posted...
I use pokemon I like in game, I use pokemon that are good competitively.

But I have grown to like a lot of pokemon through battling competitively.

This pretty much.

My favorites are Gengar, Umbreon, Raichu, Alakazam, among a few others. Mostly Genwunners. Only a few of my favorites are useful competetively, so for in game, I use what I like, out of game, I have teams set up based on strategies.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC: 1636-3783-8366
Ipsylos: Psyduck easily is the best representation of Christianity on Pokemon period.
#22sonicfanaticjtbPosted 5/7/2013 10:56:18 PM
I use pokémon that I like. I just make sure to use 'em in the appropriate tiers.

'Cause I dun want to see 'mons that I like that have no business going up against beasts like Latios get killed by 'em!

I also happen to like a bunch of pokémon, so I don't have to worry being stuck.
---
Krystal and Phoenix Wright for Smash 4!
... Please, Sakurai?
#23CM_PonchPosted 5/7/2013 11:00:28 PM
I know that feel TC
---
http://i.minus.com/ibaA0poozfqtmX.gif
http://i.imgur.com/0Ccy1.png
#24MidniteZoruaPosted 5/7/2013 11:07:01 PM
sonicfanaticjtb posted...
I use pokémon that I like. I just make sure to use 'em in the appropriate tiers.

'Cause I dun want to see 'mons that I like that have no business going up against beasts like Latios get killed by 'em!

I also happen to like a bunch of pokémon, so I don't have to worry being stuck.

Pretty much this. Since Zorua is my favorite Poke, I tend to play a lot of Little Cup to use the little fox.
---
"This isn't the Ask Auntie Pandora Hour!" ~ Pandora, Kid Icarus: Uprising
Official Zorua of the Pokemon X / Y boards.
#25gpstylezPosted 5/7/2013 11:22:27 PM
It's your game file. Use whatever you want and just ignore those miserable people.
---
I don't care which team wins the NBA playoffs...as long as it's not the Miami Heat.
PW2: 3912-5390-4626. Currently hooked on American Horror Story!
#26SlimeStackPosted 5/7/2013 11:52:36 PM
I don't get why people are under the assumption that tiers control what Pokémon you use. They don't. The system is just in place to stop a Ho-oh incinerating your favourite Dustox.
---
Moo
#27DarkDragon386Posted 5/8/2013 3:01:42 AM
I only use mons I like, too, even when battling competitively, and usually manage to hold my own - even if I only have one mon in the tier I'm forced to battle in.

You're not forced to battle in anything.

I hate how tiers are done. I just wish everyone would use mons they liked instead of the most powerful ones they have.

Again, no one is stopping you from using your favorites in NU. Some could even work in OU with the right team support (I use Ludicolo on a rainless team pretty well)

When I was battling as a kid, the only rules I'd have would be like "no legendaries" or just one or whatever because they were too powerful to have a full team of.

Not everybody likes going by one guys ruleset. Besides, half the legendaries aren't all that great.

But then people had to go and decide on tiers of power. I don't like that. Now that they're ranked, the only people that are fun to play with are the ones who don't know what's in what tier or what the tiers are, and are willing to submit to the "no legendaries" rule.

Tiers are based on usage, not power. But stuff that is good tends to be used more. You can use Dustox in an OU battle, just don't be crying when it gets stomped by Gyarados. Or you can use Dusox in NU where it has a better chance of success.

Smogon aims to create an enjoyable metagame for everyone. If you don't like it cause your favorite is in NU, then that's not anyone else's fault except your own.
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
#28LightningAce11Posted 5/8/2013 3:06:54 AM
ITT: tc is butthurt that his favourite pokemon are not OU.
---
"Nostalgia makes the heart feeble. It is the heart's nemesis." - Trema
#29ByuusetsuPosted 5/8/2013 3:12:52 AM(edited)
In my playthroughs of Soul Silver, Black, and Black 2 I made sure to only use Pokemon that I liked. Obviously you aren't going to be able to use some Pokemon competitively but when playing through the game it's more fun with Pokemon you like. It also helps to name them.

My favorite pokemon is Scizor though so I don't have any issues with competitve playing.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Rv8KKSb.jpg
#30kaliskonigPosted 5/8/2013 3:58:51 AM(edited)
nope I use pokemon i like. I use pokemon solely from the 1st 3 gens because i dont like the last two much minus a select few and evolutions that came in those generations. I always used Gengar and Starmie. Electivire is my favorite pokemon ever sense he was revealed. Always loved Blaziken. I liked Ambipoms design. Tyranitar was my fav pokemon until Electivire came out. I use Umbreon and Espeon because I grew attached during the colleseum games. Blastoise and torterra because squirtle and turtwig are my fav starters.

Torterra, Swellow, Snorlax, leafeon, and heracross get honorable mentions as well.

this was all before I even heard of that site that tells you good builds. I made a six pkmn team and 3 alts for LG, Emerald, SS, and Plat. I onpy use about 40 pkmn just so happens the ones I like most are top tier. I remember pre-black people would try to convince me to switch Blaziken for another pokemon but I didnt give a damn. now that he has gotten a buff everyone uses him.