This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sylveon: new Fairy type or just Normal?

#61EnferolunosPosted 5/9/2013 6:02:21 AM
Arne83 posted...
Enferolunos posted...
Comment on my other points if you want me to take you seriously

No. Because I have no reason to. Your argument is beyond flawed.

Tell me why
---
Currently awaiting: Lunar Knights 2, AC:NL, Pikmin 3, XY, WW HD, LR:FFXIII, X, LoZ U, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#62Arne83Posted 5/9/2013 6:05:34 AM
Enferolunos posted...
Arne83 posted...
Enferolunos posted...

Tell me why

Because it all comes down to "it looks feminine". And that is a bull**** reason.
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
#63CakeOfLiesPosted 5/9/2013 6:16:28 AM
I'd believe it's FIGHTING before I believe it's Fairy or Normal.

Personally, I think it's Flying.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Pokemon White 2 FC: 4342-3001-3593.
#64Arne83Posted 5/9/2013 6:20:22 AM
CakeOfLies posted...
I'd believe it's FIGHTING before I believe it's Fairy or Normal.

Personally, I think it's Flying.

Damn it, Cake! We do you have to be so agreeable?!
---
#65blackshoelacePosted 5/9/2013 6:28:44 AM
Neither, since it's Dragon.
---
GoldenEye 007: [DS]Renfreak @ 2641-0130-7739
#66EnferolunosPosted 5/9/2013 6:43:39 AM
Arne83 posted...
Enferolunos posted...
Arne83 posted...
Enferolunos posted...

Tell me why

Because it all comes down to "it looks feminine". And that is a bull**** reason.

Every single other eeveelution looks very strongly like what it's based on.

Does sylveon have any sort of stingers, exoskeleton, wings, or antennae? It looks downright mammalian. You could argue that its ribbons are antennae, but how many bugs have antennae coming out of their neck or asymmetrically on their head? And why would they go to the trouble of disguising it, when all other eeveelutions are so obviously based on something? So what are the odds of it being bug?

Does it have scales, fangs, claws, horns or wings? What are the odds of it being dragon?

I suppose there aren't any identifiable features fighting types usually have, so it's hard for me to eliminate this. It's hard to compare when there are only 4 quadrupedal fighting pokemon, and it's doubtful the eeveelution would be bipedal, so I don't have a lot to say on this one.

Does it have wings? There are very few flying types who don't have wings. Would the pokemon they design to represent flying really not have wings? What are the odds of it being flying?

I suppose it's rather pale, and sylph/nymph could mean spirit, I guess it could be ghost?

It's clearly not ground. Not gonna touch this one.

It could be normal. This just brings up the whole "waaah eeveelutions can't be normal" thing.

It has no smog, no ooze, no stingers, no barbs, no purple. How likely is it to be poison?

Again not rock, not gonna touch this.

A soft floppy ribbony pokemon to represent steel? How likely is it to be Steel?

So, of the available types, the only viable types are ghost, fighting, and normal.

The problem is that you're looking in a reverse engineering sort of way. You're looking at it in a reverse engineering, "Hmm, what type could fit this" sort of way, not in a "I want to make an eeveelution for ____ type/gender, how will I go about doing that?" sort of way, which is how it was designed
If I were making a ghost eeveelution, I wouldn't make as bright and cheerful looking. I would make it look gray and spooky, at the very least.
If I were making fighting type eeveelution, I wouldn't make it so fashionable and cheerful looking. I would make it look fierce and determined, at the very least.
If I were making a female only eeveelution, I could easily see myself making it pink and ribbony.

So, considering it doesn't seem designed for any particular type, and considering it looks stereotypically feminine, it's not a stretch to say that it's likely to be Female only.
---
Currently awaiting: Lunar Knights 2, AC:NL, Pikmin 3, XY, WW HD, LR:FFXIII, X, LoZ U, FFVXIII
#67Strain42Posted 5/9/2013 7:16:12 AM
I dunno about LIKELY, but I'll certainly admit that it's possible.

Let's face it, folks. We don't know much about Sylveon, so it is possible it could be Female only.

But Enfer, I disagree with your reason to dismiss it of being a potential flying type. Flying probably is one of the most likely of the existing types given what little info we have.

And there are quite a quite a lot of Flying types that don't have Wings, so I don't see how that's relevant. There are currently 84 Flying types, the following of which don't have wings

Tornadus (one of his forms does, but his original doesn't)
Doduo/Dodrio (yes they're birds, but technically they don't have wings)
Gyarados
Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff
Mantyke/Mantine (I could see an argument for this one, but most people wouldn't call a Ray's body to be actual wings)
Rayquaza
Drifloom/Drifblim
Rotom: Fan Form
Shaymin: Sky Form (again, an argument could be made here as to whether or not the ears count as wings)
Emolga (sorta going back to Mantine, do Flying Squirrel flaps count as wings?)
Thundurus: Both Forms
Landorus: Both Forms

So that's 17 out of 84 Flying type Pokemon that don't have wings (even if you don't count a couple of these it'd be more than 10) which may not seem that high, but still isn't a bad ratio of Flying types with no wings.

I don't see any reason why Sylveon couldn't be Flying. The ribbons could easily be used as a method of flight.

And I don't really have any precedent on this one, but I don't really agree for your Dragon type reason either given some of the Dragon type curveballs they've tossed us in the past, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Sylveon was a Dragon type. I'm not saying that's at all likely, but it wouldn't surprise me.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#68Arne83Posted 5/9/2013 7:26:55 AM
Enferolunos posted...
Arne83 posted...
Enferolunos posted...
Arne83 posted...
Enferolunos posted...

Tell me why

Every single other eeveelution looks very strongly like what it's based on.

Does sylveon have any sort of stingers, exoskeleton, wings, or antennae? It looks downright mammalian. You could argue that its ribbons are antennae, but how many bugs have antennae coming out of their neck or asymmetrically on their head? And why would they go to the trouble of disguising it, when all other eeveelutions are so obviously based on something? So what are the odds of it being bug?

Does it have scales, fangs, claws, horns or wings? What are the odds of it being dragon?

I suppose there aren't any identifiable features fighting types usually have, so it's hard for me to eliminate this. It's hard to compare when there are only 4 quadrupedal fighting pokemon, and it's doubtful the eeveelution would be bipedal, so I don't have a lot to say on this one.

Does it have wings? There are very few flying types who don't have wings. Would the pokemon they design to represent flying really not have wings? What are the odds of it being flying?

I suppose it's rather pale, and sylph/nymph could mean spirit, I guess it could be ghost?

It's clearly not ground. Not gonna touch this one.

It could be normal. This just brings up the whole "waaah eeveelutions can't be normal" thing.

It has no smog, no ooze, no stingers, no barbs, no purple. How likely is it to be poison?

Again not rock, not gonna touch this.

A soft floppy ribbony pokemon to represent steel? How likely is it to be Steel?

So, of the available types, the only viable types are ghost, fighting, and normal.

The problem is that you're looking in a reverse engineering sort of way. You're looking at it in a reverse engineering, "Hmm, what type could fit this" sort of way, not in a "I want to make an eeveelution for ____ type/gender, how will I go about doing that?" sort of way, which is how it was designed
If I were making a ghost eeveelution, I wouldn't make as bright and cheerful looking. I would make it look gray and spooky, at the very least.
If I were making fighting type eeveelution, I wouldn't make it so fashionable and cheerful looking. I would make it look fierce and determined, at the very least.
If I were making a female only eeveelution, I could easily see myself making it pink and ribbony.

So, considering it doesn't seem designed for any particular type, and considering it looks stereotypically feminine, it's not a stretch to say that it's likely to be Female only.

Ok, all I see you doing is ranting about possible types and then saying "female only"...

What?
---
#69EnferolunosPosted 5/9/2013 7:50:43 AM(edited)
Strain42 posted...
I dunno about LIKELY, but I'll certainly admit that it's possible.

Let's face it, folks. We don't know much about Sylveon, so it is possible it could be Female only.

But Enfer, I disagree with your reason to dismiss it of being a potential flying type. Flying probably is one of the most likely of the existing types given what little info we have.

And there are quite a quite a lot of Flying types that don't have Wings, so I don't see how that's relevant. There are currently 84 Flying types, the following of which don't have wings

Tornadus (one of his forms does, but his original doesn't)
Doduo/Dodrio (yes they're birds, but technically they don't have wings)
Gyarados
Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff
Mantyke/Mantine (I could see an argument for this one, but most people wouldn't call a Ray's body to be actual wings)
Rayquaza
Drifloom/Drifblim
Rotom: Fan Form
Shaymin: Sky Form (again, an argument could be made here as to whether or not the ears count as wings)
Emolga (sorta going back to Mantine, do Flying Squirrel flaps count as wings?)
Thundurus: Both Forms
Landorus: Both Forms

So that's 17 out of 84 Flying type Pokemon that don't have wings (even if you don't count a couple of these it'd be more than 10) which may not seem that high, but still isn't a bad ratio of Flying types with no wings.

I don't see any reason why Sylveon couldn't be Flying. The ribbons could easily be used as a method of flight.

You're right. There are more than I initially noticed. However:
Th/T/L-rus: Clouds are a believable method of flight in a game.
Mantyke/tine/Emolga: They may not be actual wings, but they could be claimed as useable for gliding, at the very least.
Hoppip line: Based on floating seeds, believable method of flight
Shaymin: They're pretty much wings.
Drifloon line: Balloons float, believable method of flight

I'll grant you Gyarados, Rayquaza, doduo/-drio, and Rotom don't have any strong reason for being flying (other than dragons are magical and can fly, dodos are birds, and flying is the closest to "wind" for fan rotom).

Either way these are the exceptions.

You again missed my point of looking at it the wrong way. Eeveelutions should be strongly representative of their type. If you were designing a pokemon that you wanted to exemplify its flying type, would you skimp on the wings?

And I don't really have any precedent on this one, but I don't really agree for your Dragon type reason either given some of the Dragon type curveballs they've tossed us in the past, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Sylveon was a Dragon type. I'm not saying that's at all likely, but it wouldn't surprise me.

And again, if you were designing a pokemon that you wanted to exemplify its dragon type, would you fail to have any draconian features or affiliation?

Arne83 posted...
Ok, all I see you doing is ranting about possible types and then saying "female only"...

What?

It's actually impressive how little you actually address specific points in an argument instead of just whining
---
#70Strain42Posted 5/9/2013 7:51:50 AM
I think it's because I just don't believe in the whole "Sylveon has to look like what type it is because all the other Eeveelutions do." mentality that a lot of people seem to have on this board, and as I said on another topic, given their attitude towards the Mewtation where they were saying stuff like "One thing is sure, fans are gonna want to discuss this new Pokemon!" it wouldn't surprise me at all that GameFreak merely enjoys creating hype and speculation opportunities.

And I know it's not just me, but I do happen to think Sylveon looks like a Flying type. When I first saw the picture, before I even noticed the ??? they had for the type, my brain just went "Oh cool, they're doing a Flying type?" in the same way people claim to have done so for Glaceon and Leafeon.

Now of course I could end up being wrong and Sylveon could be something that isn't Flying. But I know I personally won't be going "What? Why? It looks nothing like a Flying type!" if it ends up being one.

There are a lot of Pokemon out there whose types aren't instantly recognizable based solely on their appearance. I dunno why Sylveon has to be treated as a special case just because it's an Eeveelution.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)