This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

i never really understood the "rival" concept

#1LotrMorgothPosted 5/8/2013 3:18:08 PM
in almost every game there's a character that you beat repeatedly throughout the game that ends up being the most powerful trainer in the land.

never played Black or White so they may have changed it then, but would like see to cooler end game fights
---
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. -Bilbo
gamertag: smeaGollum4
#2SilverSaint7Posted 5/8/2013 3:19:39 PM
LotrMorgoth posted...
in almost every game there's a character that you beat repeatedly throughout the game that ends up being the most powerful trainer in the land.

That only happened once, way back in RBY.
---
http://i.imgur.com/jnCZgwQ.gif
#3LexifoxPosted 5/8/2013 3:20:00 PM
LotrMorgoth posted...

never played Black or White so they may have changed it then, but would like see to cooler end game fights

In Black/White 1 you end up with three rivals. By the end game, one of them decides she doesn't want to become the champion and the other stops trying to reassess his goals.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#4SlimeStackPosted 5/8/2013 3:20:56 PM
That only happened in Red and Blue.

GSC's rival was an angry sucky trainer who never made it anywhere, he just bumped into you and got all condescending when you beat him for the 80th time.

RSE's rival was barely even a rival. You fight like twice then they give up on the whole thing.

DPPt's rival was sorta strong but there's no evidence that he actually entered the Pokémon League or anything.

BW's rivals were decent but they were by no means particularly strong.
---
Moo
#5NekoHime64Posted 5/8/2013 3:22:13 PM
SlimeStack posted...

BW's rivals were decent but they were by no means particularly strong.

Unless you count N as a rival.
---
FF IX was better than FFVII. THERE, I SAID IT!!!
Unofficial Sneasel of the Pokemon X board.
#6HomeRowedPosted 5/8/2013 3:22:48 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rival?s=t

1. a person who is competing for the same object or goal as another, or who tries to equal or outdo another; competitor.
---
NO MORE FUNERAL CAKE UNTIL I CAN BE A GOOD GIRL
do you wanna die or just come real close?
#7Rad_DudesmanPosted 5/8/2013 3:23:21 PM

This, I consider N to be the true rival of BW.
#8pokemonfreak97Posted 5/8/2013 4:05:04 PM
Rad_Dudesman posted...

See, Cheren fits the standard rival archetype filled by Blue, Silver, Brendan/May, Barry, and Hugh; the repeatedly-battled opponent who has the starter strong against yours.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4
#9NewMoonShadowPosted 5/8/2013 4:08:11 PM
Rad_Dudesman posted...

Except N isn't trying to be better than you, his goals are completely unrelated to yours. He doesn't give a crap about the Pokemon League or Pokemon Training as a whole, in fact he hates what you stand for. He is in no way, shape, or form a "rival".
#10Strain42Posted 5/8/2013 4:09:31 PM
I don't consider N to be a rival anymore than I consider Giovanni to be a rival back in Gen 1.

But I don't necessarily think your rival just has to be the person with the starter strong against yours. For one that would eliminate "Gary" from Yellow as a Rival, and I also consider Bianca and Wally to be Rivals.

I was really disappointed by May/Brendan as a Rival though. I get that they ultimately decided they didn't want to be a Pokemon trainer, but they could have given us at least one fight where they had the final form of their starter.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)