This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

we need a rival who always kicks your booty

#1R__TruthPosted 5/9/2013 5:39:14 PM
like program him to always beat you until the last battle
---
If you mess with the best you'll go down like the rest
#2KeeperOfShadowsPosted 5/9/2013 5:42:03 PM
Unwinnable rival battles? Not sure if that'd work well in pokemon. Maybe...
---
A voice of reason, in a chaotic realm.
You're too angry... calm down... and let the madness take hold. - Arne83
#3crazy12_3Posted 5/9/2013 5:43:19 PM
I wouldnt mind if i didnt lose money or anything
---
Black 2 FC 4857-5652-4968 National Dex: 510/649 Jobs Done @ The DWP: 8
#4legendxofxskyPosted 5/9/2013 5:43:46 PM
R__Truth posted...
like program him to always beat you until the last battle

We already have one... Its called "Life."

It makes us think we win, until we really lose. (Death.)

:S
#5Strain42Posted 5/9/2013 5:44:17 PM
Maybe make it so he catches a Legendary Pokemon early in the game through pure luck or obtains one through some other methods (Gen 6 rival being a spoiled rich kid or something)

Then make it so that you can technically win the fight against him, but AFTER you beat him he sends out the legendary which wipes your entire team down to 1HP or something.

That way the player can still win an actual battle, but he can still walk away saying he more or less won the fight thanks to his powerful pokemon.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#6mada7Posted 5/9/2013 5:46:40 PM
Supposed to lose fights are the hardest thing to do right so Id really prefer they didn't do that. It is really frustrating to use up items in a desperate attempt to win a fight only for the game to tell you afterwards that you were never supposed to win that fight. Pretty much the only game that did this right was mega man x for the first vile fight because then you had no resources to use up fighting him
---
Wall-Mart the place you go when you just got to meat a true moron -Lord of Phendrana
Pokemon Black FC = 3396 8733 5419
#7Strain42Posted 5/9/2013 5:49:24 PM
My favorite supposed to lose fight ever was in the Yugioh PS1 game.

Normally you would get your ass handed to you, but I had a Gameshark so I had tons of great cards, and was able to beat him.

If you beat him, he literally just rechallenges you until he wins. It's actually kinda sad.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#8NekoHime64Posted 5/9/2013 5:50:56 PM
Strain42 posted...
Maybe make it so he catches a Legendary Pokemon early in the game through pure luck or obtains one through some other methods (Gen 6 rival being a spoiled rich kid or something)

Then make it so that you can technically win the fight against him, but AFTER you beat him he sends out the legendary which wipes your entire team down to 1HP or something.

That way the player can still win an actual battle, but he can still walk away saying he more or less won the fight thanks to his powerful pokemon.

This would work best I think.
---
FF IX was better than FFVII. THERE, I SAID IT!!!
Unofficial Sneasel of the Pokemon X board.
#9TheMasterTurtlePosted 5/9/2013 6:02:50 PM
How about a very difficult fight that has a reward if you win and you obviously just continue the game normally if you lose. Him wiping pokemon down to 1 hp is pretty lame especially because you can still win that.
---
OFFICIAL WARTORTLE OF THE B/W BOARDS
#10mada7Posted 5/9/2013 7:04:15 PM
TheMasterTurtle posted...
How about a very difficult fight that has a reward if you win and you obviously just continue the game normally if you lose. Him wiping pokemon down to 1 hp is pretty lame especially because you can still win that.

Didn't they have that in pokemon yellow and winning or losing affected what your rival's eevee evolved into where if you consistently beat him it becomes a jolteon
---
Wall-Mart the place you go when you just got to meat a true moron -Lord of Phendrana
Pokemon Black FC = 3396 8733 5419