This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Nuzlocke challenge on your first playthrough?

#1B4TT3RYPosted 5/10/2013 12:18:03 AM
For those who don't know what a Nuzlocke challenge is:

1.Any Pokémon that faints is considered dead, and must be released.
2.The player may only catch the first Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first Pokémon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances.
3.All pokemon must be nicknamed

I'm heavily considering doing the Nuzlocke challenge on my first playthrough of this game.

Although I feel I may be devastated if I lose my starter pokemon.

I think doing a Nuzlocke challenge on a first time playthrough can be super intense because you don't know what's coming around the corner. You have no idea when your rival can pop up and want to battle, and have no clue how strong the gym leader's pokemon may be. I think this makes for a much more difficult and intense playthrough.
---
Thank you for posting. Here at the Forum we greatly value your input!- TheHarmfulOne
#2DarknessLink7Posted 5/10/2013 12:56:34 AM
I tried this in Black 2, and, even though the game is very similar to Black, it was extra challenging. You never knew when Hugh will pop up, or what annoying trainers you'll face along the way.

However, I found it very bothering when I came across a really cool "new" Pokémon I had never used before like Grumpig, or Spheal, and couldn't catch them due to the rules. If you do a Nuzlocke run of X or Y I think this problem will be prevalent, so consider the fact that you might not get to use that cool new Pokémon at all.
---
Perfection is at hand! I have been made compleat.
#3SammuthegreatPosted 5/10/2013 1:06:56 AM
I'm pretty sure I'll do this - I've Nuzlocked about 8 or 9 times successfully, and playing the game normally feels a bit dull by comparison now.

I really want to try to spoil myself as little as possible before the game comes out, especially when it comes to the Pokedex, so that the Pokémon I encounter are a genuine surprise. Even more so it'll be a real surprise when my party Pokémon evolve, I can imagine that'll be really exciting when I don't know what they're evolving into. It's going to be tricky though, with new information coming out all the time. I'll have to be careful not to spoil myself.

If I can remain relatively oblivious to the content of the Pokedex, then a blind Nuzlocke will be an incredible way to discover X/Y.
#4CM_PonchPosted 5/10/2013 1:08:58 AM
I don't understand why people would nuzlocke on their first playthrough.
---
http://i.minus.com/ibaA0poozfqtmX.gif
http://i.imgur.com/0Ccy1.png
#5DFKNMNYPosted 5/10/2013 1:14:48 AM
I'm all for this, I feel like it'd be the best way to appreciate all the new stuff by it all being a surprise and you not being able to extra prepare yourself with the strongest pokemon for what might come next.

I just might do this, might make the game more enjoyable.
---
3DS FC:5472-6699-8282 (add me and I'll add you back if you message)
#6mada7Posted 5/10/2013 4:34:52 AM
I wouldn't want to do it on my first playthrough of a game just because then you don't get to experience designing your own balanced team and build them up from scratch and can't catch a pokemon that seems really cool but isn't the first pokemon of the route. Second playthrough onwards Id be all for it but for the first Id want to do it normally
---
Wall-Mart the place you go when you just got to meat a true moron -Lord of Phendrana
Pokemon Black FC = 3396 8733 5419
#7kaonohiokalaPosted 5/10/2013 4:36:06 AM
i'm never gonna learn gen 6 mons names if i nickname everything tho
---
"I am champion of Bellator. I am face of Bellator now. Who want with belt? Come on with cage. I am beat you. -Alexander Shlemenko
#8EnferolunosPosted 5/10/2013 4:38:30 AM
CM_Ponch posted...
I don't understand why people would nuzlocke on their first playthrough.

Same here. It just doesn't seem any fun :/
---
Currently awaiting: Lunar Knights 2, AC:NL, Pikmin 3, XY, WW HD, LR:FFXIII, X, LoZ U, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#9Brandon042487Posted 5/10/2013 4:38:50 AM
The nicknaming rules is actually optional but I still do it.

I plan on doing a blind Wedlocke
---
<(*-*)>
#10pokemonfreak97Posted 5/10/2013 4:43:59 AM
Brandon042487 posted...
The nicknaming rules is actually optional but I still do it.

I plan on doing a blind Wedlocke

That takes guts to do when you have NO IDEA what's coming. You can't plan anything beyond picking Froakie to make sure you'll get a Water-type to learn those HMs.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4