This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The New Region (Poll) Read topic first please

#1Balamb00Posted 5/10/2013 8:44:49 AM
What do you think about 10 Gyms? Read entire post please! - Results (47 votes)
I agree this is a good idea.
55.32% (26 votes)
I do not like this idea.
17.02% (8 votes)
Make the different Gyms version exclusives.
27.66% (13 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I have a thought which seems pretty interesting to me. Maybe to you all as well.

So my idea is one that makes the game a little less linear, not that I mind the games as they are. I'll make it short.

You still need 8 Badges to challenge the Elite Four but say there are 10 Gyms within the region. So hypothetical breakdown.

4th Gym City has two Gyms

- You can only choose one to challenge. Once you choose, the other Gym becomes non-accessible for the remainder of your play-through.
- A subplot involving a rivalry between the two Gyms. (Reminiscent of Saffron City)

7th Gym - Separate Cities

- Again you choose your path. After the 6th Gym you come to a fork in the road; with in game dialogue you select whether to go Left or Right.
- Once you select, (for instance, Left) the right path becomes blocked and the other city inaccessible until the Elite Four is defeated.
- Right Gym becomes non-accessible for the remainder of the play-through.

8th Gym should always be the strongest undeniably.

So what do you think? I believe this gives us the opportunity to replay the same game with a little bit of change. And as a reminder, this is just an example.
#2mnkysprnPosted 5/10/2013 8:47:41 AM
I like making version exclusive gyms.

They should also bring back the anti-starter gym.
---
OT: Black FC: 1721 2588 4695
Official Metagross of the Pokemon boards
#3KitschgardenerPosted 5/10/2013 8:53:31 AM
It's a step in the right direction, but the fact you're talking about the "4th gym" when, say, Kanto had no particular 4th gym, makes it a very trivial feature indeed. Still very linear.
#4Balamb00(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2013 9:21:07 AM
Kitschgardener posted...
It's a step in the right direction, but the fact you're talking about the "4th gym" when, say, Kanto had no particular 4th gym, makes it a very trivial feature indeed. Still very linear.

Yet Kanto had level differences for a preferred route with the exception of Fuchsia and Saffron. Gen IV also attempted this but in a manner which I found to be lazy and ultimately uneventful. Personally I don't see how, because Kanto had no particular 4th Gym makes it in any way, a "trivial" feature. Because it would open up an alternate path each play-through; it actually broadens the experience. It's an unlikely idea but I feel it would have a bit more expansiveness than you care to admit. Also, my less linear comment was never meant to dismiss the fact the game would still be linear, just a bit less.

I don't mean to be defensive, everyone's entitled to their opinion but I feel your opinion stems from close-mindedness. No offense meant. Anyhow it's just an idea and I think I was just turned off by the "trivial" comment when I can only see how it enhances the choice of adventure. :)
#5KitschgardenerPosted 5/10/2013 9:36:51 AM
Kitschgardener posted...

Yet Kanto had level differences for a preferred route with the exception of Fuchsia and Saffron. Gen IV also attempted this but in a manner which I found to be lazy and ultimately uneventful. Personally I don't see how, because Kanto had no particular 4th Gym makes it in any way, a "trivial" feature. Because it would open up an alternate path each play-through; it actually broadens the experience. It's an unlikely idea but I feel it would have a bit more expansiveness than you care to admit. Also, my less linear comment was never meant to dismiss the fact the game would still be linear, just a bit less.

"[B]roadens the experience". "[A] bit more expansiveness". IT'S A CHOICE BETWEEN TWO GYMS. It's trivial compared to the choices you could make in, umm, basically every game before BW. It makes the game marginally less linear, only in the sense that getting to name your rival would be (except with a slight impact on gameplay).

everyone's entitled to their opinion but I feel your opinion stems from close-mindedness.

>asks for opinion
>gets butthurt over someone disagreeing
Can't tell if serious.
#6Balamb00(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2013 10:07:46 AM
Kitschgardener posted...
"[B]roadens the experience". "[A] bit more expansiveness". IT'S A CHOICE BETWEEN TWO GYMS. It's trivial compared to the choices you could make in, umm, basically every game before BW. It makes the game marginally less linear, only in the sense that getting to name your rival would be (except with a slight impact on gameplay).

1. In the other games, you still battled the remaining Gyms completing the prescribed badge collection.
2. If you did go out of "recommended" order then sometimes the remaining Gyms were significantly easier.
3. My idea implies the chance to experience a totally new Gym on a new play-through with similar level cap but different type depending on choice. Which gives the possibility of a team type disadvantage depending on selection. To those who play each game blind without spoiling it, gives them something unexpected to look forward to. Not to eventually reach that gym with the same levels the previous one shared. Something which Gen I and IV did.

Kitschgardener posted...
>asks for opinion
>gets butthurt over someone disagreeing
Can't tell if serious.

Yes I wanted your opinion. I like my idea and because I like it, I am trying to further understand why you don't. Furthermore, part of a debate of opinions usually results in one another trying to convince the other why it's a good idea or a bad idea. It has nothing to do with getting "butt-hurt" over it but again about discussing why it is or isn't a good idea. You can choose to debate and try to convince me it is not a good idea or refrain from doing so holding dearly onto your own opinion. However there's nothing wrong with humility. Or you can childishly pass me off as a butt-hurt individual and attempt to humiliate me with the thought of. Am I serious or not?

Oh and by the way the idea itself should stand on its own because it has never been done before in this manner and thus, should not be compared with other Gens.

I am serious :)
#7KitschgardenerPosted 5/10/2013 10:12:20 AM
Oh and by the way the idea itself should stand on its own because it has never been done before in this manner and thus, should not be compared with other Gens.

What about Striaton? It can go three different ways, but only one per playthrough.

And yes, as someone who regularly replays games (to the point of even buying duplicates where resetting is undesirable), I value a flexible gym order over a two-option Striaton any day of the week.
#8SeThelloSomaPosted 5/10/2013 10:13:05 AM
GUYS!! Gamefreak is reading this topic and totally gonna incorporate this idea if we like it!!!
#9Balamb00(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2013 10:27:40 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10Balamb00(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2013 10:30:02 AM
Balamb00 posted...
Kitschgardener posted...

What about Striaton? It can go three different ways, but only one per playthrough.

Touché, you got me there. But it was a welcomed feature by many.

Kitschgardener posted...
And yes, as someone who regularly replays games (to the point of even buying duplicates where resetting is undesirable), I value a flexible gym order over a two-option Striaton any day of the week

I can understand this. I however, do not share this opinion on the any choice order; especially if the level caps are very close if not the same.

SeThelloSoma posted...
GUYS!! Gamefreak is reading this topic and totally gonna incorporate this idea if we like it!!!

Without a doubt, I see this at sarcasm. It's just an idea to speculate on. It'd be cool but probably won't happen for a long time to come.