This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Don't tell me that's the extent of character customization.

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Don't tell me that's the extent of character customization.
2 years ago#61
FlyingPotatoe posted...
Bountyan posted...
FlyingPotatoe posted...
While you guys cry about not being able to dress your character up or change their color I'll actually be playing. I bet you people are the same ones who think Pokemon characters can be deep, and that they have great story.

I bet you people are the ones who think that since it has always been broken it should never be fixed. "Pokemon has NEVER had a good story, so why expect one now? STFU guys!!!"

Yup. Pokemon will never have a great story. It will never have great characters. It is, of course, a Japanese game.

Are you joking? I've played Japanese games with great stories.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
2 years ago#62
Hitagi posted...
darkdragongirl posted...
It is not about being an apologist. It is about people for the most part being indifferent about the protagonist's avatar until now. Yes people wanted customization, so Gamefreak budged a little finally, but now you demand more.

You want more options? Sorry I don't think the protagonist can be a fat*** for the majority of you.

People have been asking for character customization since like gen 2, although it was obviously much harder back then due to the nature of sprites and limited hardware power so people simply put up with it, it wasn't about just being "indifferent". Now that we have 3D models there's really no excuse for such a half-assed implementation. It just comes across as Game Freak trying to tick the "character customization" box without putting any actual effort or thought into it.

As for the second part of your post, really? Grow up. Although I suppose I shouldn't expect a mature response from someone called darkdragongirl.

Second part is purely for insult. I can be mature, but not on a Pokémon board.
---
http://imgur.com/JGA4ofp.gif
"Between [Men's Room Mayhem] and Superfrog HHHHHHDDDDD, the Vita will be the best handheld of all time!!!!" --- mike_411
2 years ago#63
We're complaining about something new that never existed in this series before?

"Standing ovation"
2 years ago#64
Bountyan posted...
FlyingPotatoe posted...
Bountyan posted...
FlyingPotatoe posted...
While you guys cry about not being able to dress your character up or change their color I'll actually be playing. I bet you people are the same ones who think Pokemon characters can be deep, and that they have great story.

I bet you people are the ones who think that since it has always been broken it should never be fixed. "Pokemon has NEVER had a good story, so why expect one now? STFU guys!!!"

Yup. Pokemon will never have a great story. It will never have great characters. It is, of course, a Japanese game.

Explain. And if you are about to say Final Fantasy, don't.
---
Black 2 FC: 1249 7789 9146
2 years ago#65
FlyingPotatoe posted...
Bountyan posted...
FlyingPotatoe posted...
Bountyan posted...
FlyingPotatoe posted...

Explain. And if you are about to say Final Fantasy, don't.

Phoenix Wright and Ghost Trick. Both have great stories, both are from Japan. Pokemon doesn't even have to come on their level. Just something more interesting. Black and White was a step in the right direction for storytelling.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
2 years ago#66
I see a darker skin tone. I'm not white at all, but Native Americasian and that's fairly close to my skin tone.

Are you even looking at the same screenshot? http://i.imgur.com/ueYe9hh.jpg
I'm sorry to break it to you, but darker-skinned people exist. And they might want to see said people do what protagonists of any other colour do. I'm Northern Irish and even I know that. That's basically me after a summer's day in Spain.

How many of those darker-skinned characters were, you know, playable?

How is this relevant? When they decided on an arbitrary three skin tones, did they think "Gee, the possibility of a black protagonist would really mess this game up"?
2 years ago#67
Damnit why are you not getting mad? I thought my first attempt at trolling would be fun, but I just don't have the patience for this.
---
Black 2 FC: 1249 7789 9146
2 years ago#68
Kitschgardener posted...
Are you even looking at the same screenshot? http://i.imgur.com/ueYe9hh.jpg
I'm sorry to break it to you, but darker-skinned people exist. And they might want to see said people do what protagonists of any other colour do. I'm Northern Irish and even I know that. That's basically me after a summer's day in Spain.

I'm sorry that there are people who will look at this and feel left out or bothered that their character doesn't look like them. The protagonists in the games I play rarely look like me and I do just fine. People are just too hung up on a game where the protagonist doesn't mean anything and only serves as a vehicle between Pokemon battles.

How is this relevant? When they decided on an arbitrary three skin tones, did they think "Gee, the possibility of a black protagonist would really mess this game up"?

This is relevant because we've seen darker tones to skin in the games before. The game is primarily made for Japan. Having a darker skin tone for the protagonist? Not high on the priority list for Game Freak.

Also you're assuming that these "arbitrary" skin tones (really, how did you decide it's arbitrary?) are the only three colours we'll be seeing.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
2 years ago#69
This is fairly pathetic. It's even worse than when some people foamed from the mouth because Gen V didn't include the feature of a Pokemon following you. It's something that doesn't affect gameplay at all, and people here are treating it as if the game is unplayable because you can't fully customize your character.
2 years ago#70
I'm sorry that there are people who will look at this and feel left out or bothered that their character doesn't look like them. The protagonists in the games I play rarely look like me and I do just fine. People are just too hung up on a game where the protagonist doesn't mean anything and only serves as a vehicle between Pokemon battles.

Evidently GF also feel there should be some correspondence between the player and the protagonist. Otherwise, why even have this slight bit of customisation in the first place?

This is relevant because we've seen darker tones to skin in the games before. The game is primarily made for Japan. Having a darker skin tone for the protagonist? Not high on the priority list for Game Freak.

I don't dispute that GF has issues elevating darker-skinned people above the importance of basketball players and early-game gym leaders. I do take issue to your personal defence of this implementation, to the extent of flatout mischaracterising the darkest tone shown to prove a point.

Also you're assuming that these "arbitrary" skin tones (really, how did you decide it's arbitrary?) are the only three colours we'll be seeing.

As I said earlier (to another poster) this isn't completely apparent yet. Why arbitrary? Because these are three colours decidedly on the light side of a light-dark spectrum, and GF have done darker-skinned characters before. I hope you're right about me jumping to conclusions, but given the above, who knows.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Don't tell me that's the extent of character customization.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived