This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This generation actually has some pretty good designs.

#11Jagus(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2013 10:23:17 AM
snuffles504 posted...
Hejiru posted...
Right, because all of Gen 4 and 5 Pokemon were bad designs and all of the Gen 1 and 2 designs were good.

>_>

<_<

Generalizations of a generation =/= every single Pokemon of that generation

For example, if a class average is a 70%, that doesn't mean that every single student scored 70%.

Gen 4 and 5 had some really great Pokemon. But as a whole there was a lot of overdesigning going on, particularly in Gen 4.

Gen 1 had some overdesigned Pokemon and generally bad designs, but as a whole the designs were more natural and simplistic than later gens.

There are no overdesigned Pokemon in Gen 1. The only one you could possibly argue is Gyarados.
---
No, marriage is about love. It fails because people think love can be reduced to a feeling. - On the Edge
#12vchu8Posted 5/11/2013 10:23:54 AM
While these designs are overall a little more simplistic, they really aren't that much more naturalistic than Gen 5 was. There's a greater focus on simple shapes, colors, and patterns in the later games when compared to the first generation, which focused a lot more on natural form and subtler color schemes.

The designs they've shown today are okay. They aren't amazing, but they certainly are no where near the worst designs to come from the games. I like them, for the most part.
#13Jagus(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2013 10:23:55 AM
Strain42 posted...
I agree that this Gen has some good designs, I'm happy to finally see some designs that aren't just evos/forms of existing Pokemon and now I officially feel like Gen 6 is getting off to a good start

But I don't agree with the Gen 4/5 thing. I mean I still remember when the scans were launched revealing Pokemon like Sandile, Munna, Darmanitan, Klink, etc. etc. and I don't remember thinking they were pointlessly overdesigned.

I actually feel like the bird is a tad underdesigned actually...I mean don't get me wrong, I like it, but not much about it stands out to me.

Hmm, that's true. Those Pokemon didn't look complicated.
---
No, marriage is about love. It fails because people think love can be reduced to a feeling. - On the Edge
#14snuffles504Posted 5/11/2013 10:29:34 AM
Jagus posted...
There are no overdesigned Pokemon in Gen 1. The only one you could possibly argue is Gyarados.

While I agree, one could argue Mr. Mime and Magmar.
---
....because shutup.
R - Hyuck hyuck hyuck!
#15vchu8Posted 5/11/2013 10:30:44 AM
snuffles504 posted...
Jagus posted...

While I agree, one could argue Mr. Mime and Magmar.

Mr. Mime isn't overdesigned. It's just obscenely ugly. Magmar, maybe.
#16ColonelHawkPosted 5/11/2013 10:30:56 AM
The only one I don't like is the yellow lizard-ish thing, and that's mainly because I have no idea what it is. Once the inspiration is revealed, I might warm up to it.
#17vchu8Posted 5/11/2013 10:34:31 AM
ColonelHawk posted...
The only one I don't like is the yellow lizard-ish thing, and that's mainly because I have no idea what it is. Once the inspiration is revealed, I might warm up to it.

From what I can tell, the lizard is based on no one specific lizard. It's said to charge itself by using solar power. Lizards sunbathe to regulate their body temperature, while you can use solar panels to charge electricity. They just combined the two concepts into a Pokemon.
#18kingcam07Posted 5/11/2013 10:34:50 AM
You guys are silly.
---
psn ID: kingcam07
#19DarkFistsPosted 5/11/2013 10:35:18 AM
I agree that this Gen is spewing out a lot of good designs...heck, there really isn't a single one that I hate, at the moment.

There is bound to be a Stunfisk this gen though, as there was every other gen :P
---
PSN=Gelthidor
#20ColonelHawkPosted 5/11/2013 11:10:56 AM
vchu8 posted...
ColonelHawk posted...

From what I can tell, the lizard is based on no one specific lizard. It's said to charge itself by using solar power. Lizards sunbathe to regulate their body temperature, while you can use solar panels to charge electricity. They just combined the two concepts into a Pokemon.

OK, that's actually kinda cool.