This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

i'm giving up pokemon if fairy and dual-types are real...

#31NewMoonShadowPosted 5/11/2013 9:32:38 PM
jayman7 posted...
NewMoonShadow posted...
jayman7 posted...
NewMoonShadow posted...
Also, a dual-move like "Fire/Grass" wouldn't get an absurd damage multiplier against anything, because the two types don't have overlapping Strengths.

Mamoswine would beg to differ. 9x damage if you get dual STAB. (In the current game, without an ability, 6x is the limit.)

Dual-stab from the whopping zero Grass/Fire Pokemon in the game...?

Yes, because they never introduce new type combos in new generations. 9_9

Seriously, did you even think about what you were typing when you made that post?

All I'm saying is I think GameFreak has earned enough confidence for us to expect that if they DO add dual-type moves it will be under careful consideration for balance issues. They're not going to add a 100 Power Fire/Fighting move with 100% accuracy and give it to Blaziken, that would just be moronic, and expecting it is just being a pessimist. There's no evidence to suggest something like that would happen. I'm not saying there's never been semi-broken elements in Pokemon before, but let's have a LITTLE faith that they know what they're doing.
#32TerradriusPosted 5/11/2013 9:43:20 PM(edited)
One thing that I'm not seeing mentioned is that while everyone seems to be assuming that it would be possible to get double stab/16x effectiveness with dual type moves, if dual type attacks were implemented in a different way - like you could only get STAB once with it, and it goes with the higher of the two types' effectiveness against the target rather than factoring in both - then it could be a perfectly fine and not really unbalanced addition to the franchise, especially if the moves didn't have too high of distribution.

Frankly, the math on effectiveness would get to be a bit much for me (and definitely for kids) if they were calculated like everyone seems to think they'll be. If they exist, I suspect they'll be less complicated (and more balanced) than people think.
---
http://adamgaming.blogspot.com/ - My game review/design blog, which I have finally gotten back to updating. Sporadically.
Jesus saves. PSN: Orethen
#33BottledPoePosted 5/11/2013 9:50:05 PM
I love the idea of a fairy type, because I want GF to shake it up.

Dual types are hard for me to grasp on how they would be implemented smartly.
---
3DS FC: 3050-7585-1835
#34VioletZer0Posted 5/11/2013 9:52:53 PM
All this complaining really just comes across to me as "Waaah, they're changing it and that's uncomfortable to me!"
#35jayman7Posted 5/11/2013 9:53:59 PM
Terradrius posted...
like you could only get STAB once with it, and it goes with the higher of the two types' effectiveness against the target rather than factoring in both

A dualtype move that always hits the better damage type is always better than a monotype move of either type, provided similar attack power. So while less broken, it's still a bit overpowered.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#36jayman7Posted 5/11/2013 9:55:10 PM
VioletZer0 posted...
All this complaining really just comes across to me as "Waaah, they're changing it and that's uncomfortable to me!"

No, it's not. I have no problem with change provided it's for the better. I thought the Physical/Special split to be an extremely good idea and I play the PWT in Rotation.

But this is a bad idea.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#37NewMoonShadowPosted 5/11/2013 10:48:31 PM
jayman7 posted...
Terradrius posted...
like you could only get STAB once with it, and it goes with the higher of the two types' effectiveness against the target rather than factoring in both

A dualtype move that always hits the better damage type is always better than a monotype move of either type, provided similar attack power. So while less broken, it's still a bit overpowered.

So because one Pokemon may have a move that's better than what other Pokemon have access to, it's "overpowered"?

you... have seen Pokemon played competitively right? There's only a handful of moves that are actually used for attacking, and only by those few Pokemon that can use them effectively. There's a reason Pokemon are separated into "OverUsed", "UnderUsed", and "Legendary/Banned" brackets.

I fail to see how a modestly powered dual-type move could be any more overpowered than Earthquake spam.
#38The_Undying_84Posted 5/11/2013 11:47:36 PM
I pretty much agree. Not opposed to a new type in principle, but Fairy is far and away the worst idea I've heard for it.

Dual type moves are also guaranteed to unbalance everything, single or multiplayer. The only way they could not is if they are so weak (or are all combining pointless types like Normal/Poison or something) that no one ever bothers to use them.
---
PSN: TheUndying84
#39reaverzPosted 5/11/2013 11:51:20 PM
GTomahawk posted...
I think people are really jumping the gun on the dual type thing.

For all we know it could just be one or two gimmick moves.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. Didn't the rumor even say only "a few"? I see this even being mostly limited to legendary Pokemon signature moves, like Kyurem's Ice Burn and Freeze Shock.
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#40WiiareVenomPosted 5/11/2013 11:51:59 PM
The_Undying_84 posted...
I pretty much agree. Not opposed to a new type in principle, but Fairy is far and away the worst idea I've heard for it.

Dual type moves are also guaranteed to unbalance everything, single or multiplayer. The only way they could not is if they are so weak (or are all combining pointless types like Normal/Poison or something) that no one ever bothers to use them.

So, have you not heard about those few people wanting a love type 0_o Or sound for that matter(to me, they seem a part of normal).
---
Join our bearded nation , our bearded population, our bearded operation. Its not an invitation, it is an expectation.