This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are people so against Fairy type again...?

#51Emperor_mateusPosted 5/12/2013 9:19:19 AM
I'm still neutral about the fairy type or any new type, but I do appreciate that its strong against fighting and dragon and weak against poison.

Poison needs a buff and dragon and fighting types might have become a little too good.
---
..Gwaar... Haaaarr... Haaaaaa... Shoulda brought... more priests... Or some... babies... Dang...
#52Emerald_MeliosPosted 5/12/2013 9:24:10 AM
Fighting needs to be taken down a notch to be sure. Though I wanted them to become weak to Poison.
#53ZephyrWind0205Posted 5/12/2013 9:26:15 AM
Shouldn't we think it is gonna be a Light type? That makes a lot more sense? Fairy? That really doesn't fit.
---
But there's a positive message at the end of it: If you're a woman in Connecticut, Slaughterface WILL kill you.
#54jnetheryPosted 5/12/2013 9:29:48 AM
Magic type.
---
1: If you think your opinion is fact, then I will ignore you.
2: If you butcher the English language or abuse Netspeak, see #1.
#55Emerald_MeliosPosted 5/12/2013 3:17:11 PM
ZephyrWind0205 posted...
Fairy? That really doesn't fit.

It does fit. This is Pokemon, where you summon cute monsters from capsules you keep in your pocket or handbag.
#56ValierePosted 5/12/2013 4:16:54 PM
ZephyrWind0205 posted...
Shouldn't we think it is gonna be a Light type? That makes a lot more sense? Fairy? That really doesn't fit.

Yes, Fairy does fit, far better than Light.

Try to come up with a list of weaknesses/resistances/strengths/immunities for light. My guess is you won't get much further than "It's strong against dark."

Whereas fairies have traditionally been represented as weak to iron and in some cases weak to pollution -- so we have steel and poison right off the bat.

There is an entire pantheon of fairies to choose from in mythology. If you're only thinking of little ladies with butterfly wings, you're not being very creative. Kelpies, merfolk, sylphs, Cait Sith, will o' wisps, banshees, barghest, leprechauns, bunyip, goblins, dryads, can even get into cryptids if you're feeling crazy.

Fairy has the potential to be more interesting themewise -- not just generic goodness but also mischief. Think of the move possibilities!
#57Probit_ReturnPosted 5/12/2013 4:40:09 PM
I have no issues with Fairy type. Out of the types people have been coming up with, it's one of the better thought out ones with a lot of potential for new pokemon. If it comes to fruition, I'll probably moan and complain about it for a few days and get over it (it helps that I do rather like the look of Sylveon, so if it does end up being a new type, it's already got something going for it). I do, however, have issues with people who think a new type would magically fix balance (I don't even play competitively and I know there's a lot of work Game Freak needs to do to balance types), especially without giving any rhyme or reason to any typechart they make up for a new type, sorta just pulling things out of thin air ("Steel is immune to sound because they have no ears". I just made it up, but it's an example of the type of stuff I've seen) (admittedly, those types aren't too many, but they're vocal and very defensive of any criticism, however constructive it might be), and that's to say nothing of what potential consequences retyping of old pokemon could create. I'm not saying everyone who supports a new type or makes up a new type is like this. I've seen some who actually WANT to discuss and get input on their idea, and take the compliments and criticism together to make it better. That's fine, I support that. Creativity is a wonderful thing. But the Zealots ruin the fun for everyone.

Yes, I know, this is the internet. I should expect the Zealots to show up on the internet, but just because this is the internet doesn't mean we should have to bend to their whims and give up on having an honest, mature discussion.
---
Hinako danced crazy
#58jnetheryPosted 5/12/2013 4:46:35 PM
Probit_Return posted...
I have no issues with Fairy type. Out of the types people have been coming up with, it's one of the better thought out ones with a lot of potential for new pokemon. If it comes to fruition, I'll probably moan and complain about it for a few days and get over it (it helps that I do rather like the look of Sylveon, so if it does end up being a new type, it's already got something going for it). I do, however, have issues with people who think a new type would magically fix balance (I don't even play competitively and I know there's a lot of work Game Freak needs to do to balance types), especially without giving any rhyme or reason to any typechart they make up for a new type, sorta just pulling things out of thin air ("Steel is immune to sound because they have no ears". I just made it up, but it's an example of the type of stuff I've seen) (admittedly, those types aren't too many, but they're vocal and very defensive of any criticism, however constructive it might be), and that's to say nothing of what potential consequences retyping of old pokemon could create. I'm not saying everyone who supports a new type or makes up a new type is like this. I've seen some who actually WANT to discuss and get input on their idea, and take the compliments and criticism together to make it better. That's fine, I support that. Creativity is a wonderful thing. But the Zealots ruin the fun for everyone.

Yes, I know, this is the internet. I should expect the Zealots to show up on the internet, but just because this is the internet doesn't mean we should have to bend to their whims and give up on having an honest, mature discussion.

This was a well thought out and rational post. This is GameFAQs Pokemon board. GTFO!!!!
(j/k, I am in total agreement, Fairy-type thing aside).
---
1: If you think your opinion is fact, then I will ignore you.
2: If you butcher the English language or abuse Netspeak, see #1.
#59BountyanPosted 5/12/2013 4:48:22 PM
Valiere posted...
ZephyrWind0205 posted...

Try to come up with a list of weaknesses/resistances/strengths/immunities for light. My guess is you won't get much further than "It's strong against dark."

Whereas fairies have traditionally been represented as weak to iron and in some cases weak to pollution -- so we have steel and poison right off the bat.

There is an entire pantheon of fairies to choose from in mythology. If you're only thinking of little ladies with butterfly wings, you're not being very creative. Kelpies, merfolk, sylphs, Cait Sith, will o' wisps, banshees, barghest, leprechauns, bunyip, goblins, dryads, can even get into cryptids if you're feeling crazy.

Fairy has the potential to be more interesting themewise -- not just generic goodness but also mischief. Think of the move possibilities!

Finally, a smart person.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#60Sad_FacePosted 5/12/2013 4:51:16 PM
ZephyrWind0205 posted...

This really should be in its own topic. A lot of people on this board are not knowledgeable about the fairy mythos, and them knowing just how far it spans could change a few minds.