This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dual-type attacks? I'm kinda curious how they'll pull that off tbh.

#31raazychxPosted 5/12/2013 12:44:33 AM
The only way it would work would be if damage modifiers were modified downwards.

2x now becomes 1.5 times, 4x now becomes 2x, et cetera.
#32Big_IsaacPosted 5/12/2013 12:51:14 AM
I agree that people who are against this idea are assuming way too much
for example, who says that the user of a dual type move would get STAB twice? it's ONE attack, so there's no reason it should gain the bonus twice
if you have both types of the attack, you get STAB. if you only have 1 of the types, you either don't get any STAB or a reduced one (like 1.2 instead of 1.5)
---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein
#33FroakiePosted 5/12/2013 12:51:42 AM
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/13/134743/2409667-froakie_large.jpg
#34Ubergeneral3Posted 5/12/2013 12:55:05 AM
it always does whatever is more damage. for example if a ice/fire attack hits a pokemon and one of their types is weak to fire it will be SE.

However it only calculates one type, so if a pokemon is weak to ice and fire it still will only be 2x SE and not 4x

If both types are weak to one of the attacking types then it hits for 4x damage.

examples

1. fire/ice hits a Geodude. Since Geodude is weak to Ice, it hits for 2x damage. Geodude resists fire attacks, but since fire/ice is always the type that will do the most damage, it will hit Geodude as an ice type attack

2. fire/ice hits a Scyther. Scyther is weak to both fire and ice, but does not have a 4x weakness to either. fire/ice is always be the type that hits for most damage, but can't be both types at the same time, so it hits scyther for fire doing 2x damage

3. fire/ice hits Garchomp, Garchomp fainted, It's like any other ice type move

4. fire/ice hits Parasect. Parasect is weak to both Fire and Ice but is more weak to fire, so fire/ice does fire damage.

5. fire/ice hits Squirtle. Squirtle resists both fire and ice, so it hits for low damage.

6. fire/ice hits Rogginrolla. Rogginrolla resists fire, but ice hits for normal damage so it just hits for normal damage

Basically it gives more type coverage for the same move slots, Less pokemon can resist the move, letting a pokemon be able to hit more pokemon for at the very least normal damage.
---
If there is a 3rd version form pokemon black and white I will close my account.
#35Emerald_MeliosPosted 5/12/2013 6:36:13 AM
MrFingers07 posted...
Also lurking on this board it seems like most people are really against dual-type moves.

I wonder why?

Because the possibility of said moves operating with different damage multipliers or special parameters is apparently unfathomable.
#36XazealPosted 5/12/2013 6:43:55 AM
Ubergeneral3 posted...
it always does whatever is more damage. for example if a ice/fire attack hits a pokemon and one of their types is weak to fire it will be SE.

However it only calculates one type, so if a pokemon is weak to ice and fire it still will only be 2x SE and not 4x

If both types are weak to one of the attacking types then it hits for 4x damage.

examples

1. fire/ice hits a Geodude. Since Geodude is weak to Ice, it hits for 2x damage. Geodude resists fire attacks, but since fire/ice is always the type that will do the most damage, it will hit Geodude as an ice type attack

2. fire/ice hits a Scyther. Scyther is weak to both fire and ice, but does not have a 4x weakness to either. fire/ice is always be the type that hits for most damage, but can't be both types at the same time, so it hits scyther for fire doing 2x damage

4. fire/ice hits Parasect. Parasect is weak to both Fire and Ice but is more weak to fire, so fire/ice does fire damage.

5. fire/ice hits Squirtle. Squirtle resists both fire and ice, so it hits for low damage.

6. fire/ice hits Rogginrolla. Rogginrolla resists fire, but ice hits for normal damage so it just hits for normal damage

Basically it gives more type coverage for the same move slots, Less pokemon can resist the move, letting a pokemon be able to hit more pokemon for at the very least normal damage.

That's still seriously overpowered, though. With a few lucky combinations, a pokemon could easily hit everything in the game for super effective damage except Sableye and Spiritomb.
---
Official Mienshao of the Pokemon X Board
#37_ice_beam_Posted 5/12/2013 7:06:18 AM
I wonder why?

Because it would break the game seeing as how suddenly 16x weaknesses become possible.
---
http://i.imgur.com/xWWX5xm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tMhFpCD.jpg Thanks Fellwolf and L4DHunter! <3
#38torentdragonPosted 5/12/2013 7:43:15 AM
Ubergeneral3 posted...

examples

I know this is unrelated, but shouldn't you have closed your account like a year ago. I still remember you making that topic lol.
---
:/
#39robinhoekPosted 5/12/2013 8:01:40 AM
Xazeal posted...
Ubergeneral3 posted...

examples

That's still seriously overpowered, though. With a few lucky combinations, a pokemon could easily hit everything in the game for super effective damage except Sableye and Spiritomb.

Then make it more of an average. Fire is super effective but ice is not very effective so the move hits for normal damage. Fire is 4x effective and ice 2x effective so the move does 3x damage. It makes more logical sense this way anyway. Half of the move is 4x effective. Half is 2x. The whole move should be 3x not 6x. For double resistance it can work the same way. The point is before everyone start babbling about how broken something would be they should think about how it could be made to work.
#40GMAnthonyPosted 5/12/2013 8:12:42 AM
jayman7 posted...
JC152 posted...
dezmomo posted...
MrFingers07 posted...
Also lurking on this board it seems like most people are really against dual-type moves.

I wonder why?

Fire/Flying move on a Dry Skin Parasect.
You do the math.

If (that is a very strong 'if') they implement dual type moves, I really hope they cap it at 4x damage. I will accept 6x, but that would still be very broken.

I just don't think it will be a good idea, mechanics wise.

How many times damage would that be, assuming Charizard's the one using that, and he has blaze as a skill?

2x damage for Fire -> Bug
2x damage for Fire -> Grass
2x damage for Flying -> Bug
2x damage for Flying -> Grass
1.5x damage for Fire STAB
1.5x damage for Flying STAB
1.25x damage for Fire -> Dry Skin
1.5x damage if Charizard has Blaze and is under 1/3 of his max HP

I calculate 67.5x damage.

Now, Parasect has 324 max HP. This move under these circumstances is a guaranteed OHKO if the move would deal a mere 5 damage before multipliers are applied.

Now imagine that while Sunny Day is in effect and it gets even worse.

This actually illustrates why I put Parasect as Worst Grass Type and Worst Bug Type on list of best and worst by type list I did a while back. Dry Skin REALLY made Parasect unnecessarily frail.
---
The fourth wall has shattered...
Heroes of Arcadia - http://www.fanfiction.net/~anthonybault