This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dual-type attacks? I'm kinda curious how they'll pull that off tbh.

#41EmeraldRangePosted 5/12/2013 8:13:24 AM
jayman7 posted...

Current system, with STAB and weakness, it is possible to deal 6x damage to a dualtype.

With dualtype moves, it becomes possible to do 9x damage to a monotype

Let's have a classic Blastoise in Rainy Weather using Hydro Pump which has a stab bonus while holding the Mystic Water on Graveler

Rain- 1.5x120
STAB- 1.75x120
Mystic water- 2.625x120
Graveler 4x weakness- 10.5x120

Base Damage- 1260

Although unlikely, let's assume that Hydro Pump will become a Water/Grass move for our purposes

It's the same until 2.625x120
Then Graveler 16x weakness makes a massive 42x attack
That's a base damage of 5040 to poor graveler, who will undoutedly die and go to Pokemon Tower or some other graveyard.
---
I loathe Gen V. I am being optimistic for Gen VI,
because I hope they can make a good new feature.
#42EmeraldRangePosted 5/12/2013 8:23:02 AM
Mistake. I forgot type Stab

so, instead of 10.5x120, it's actually 15.75x120 or 1890

And let's make Blastoise a Venustoise and make it have a double stab. This would be a 94.5x120 or 11340!!!

Not only that, the opponent could be a new Gen 6 pokemon that is Rock/Ground with an ability that makes gives Water and Grass 1.5x bonus (and a positive side).
Then the Hydro Pump would be 212.625 times effective and a base damage of 25515

Poor Graveler, wiped off the face of the universe.
---
I loathe Gen V. I am being optimistic for Gen VI,
because I hope they can make a good new feature.
#43uwnimPosted 5/12/2013 8:47:02 AM
What would happen if a pokemon is immune to one of the types because of ability or typing?
---
I want a pet Lavos Spawn.
[Order of the Cetaceans: Phocoena dioptrica]
#44robinhoekPosted 5/12/2013 8:55:02 AM
uwnim posted...
What would happen if a pokemon is immune to one of the types because of ability or typing?

I'm assuming the attack would be nullified but if the moves were treated as half one type and half the other then it could do the non immune damage.
#45wahaha911Posted 5/12/2013 8:56:34 AM
Hell to the no
---
Asianwide is on your side!!!
Official Agumon of the X/Y boards
#46Meta289Posted 5/12/2013 8:57:24 AM
Dual-typed attacks would make everything a big damn mess. One, it shouldn't take more than two seconds to figure out how effective an attack will be; with the current system, you can easily figure out if an attack will x1, x2, x4, x0.5, or x0.25 damage. Using a dual-typed move against a dual-typed Pokemon would suck, since you would have to take some time to figure out how each type matches up with each other, and that's without taking abilities into consideration.

Second, Pokemon, especially ones with x4 weaknesses, can already take enough damage to OHKO them several times over. Allowing them to take even more damage would just be overkill.

Dual-typed attacks wouldn't add anything other than unnecessary complications and overkill.
---
http://meta289.deviantart.com/#/d4j1eby
Fact: Things are so much better when taken at face value.
#47robinhoekPosted 5/12/2013 9:16:13 AM
Meta289 posted...
Dual-typed attacks would make everything a big damn mess. One, it shouldn't take more than two seconds to figure out how effective an attack will be; with the current system, you can easily figure out if an attack will x1, x2, x4, x0.5, or x0.25 damage. Using a dual-typed move against a dual-typed Pokemon would suck, since you would have to take some time to figure out how each type matches up with each other, and that's without taking abilities into consideration.

Second, Pokemon, especially ones with x4 weaknesses, can already take enough damage to OHKO them several times over. Allowing them to take even more damage would just be overkill.

Dual-typed attacks wouldn't add anything other than unnecessary complications and overkill.

It would also make moves that are clearly meant to be two types actually be two types which is nice. And I like the extra complexity if handled correctly. Makes the players think harder. You'd have to decide if taking a dual move into your move set is helpful or hurtful. Everybody on here is assuming all of these weird scenarios that likely wouldn't exist because of the horrible assumptions being made to reach these scenarios.
#48el_tercer_poderPosted 5/12/2013 9:35:17 AM
Seems you're forgetting something important: GF already tried something like this with the elemental Pledge moves in Doubles/Triples.

Who's to say that it might work like that?
---
"Many of you feel bad for this lamp...That is because you're crazy.
It has no feelings! And the new one is much better." (IKEA's Lamp commercial)
#49uwnimPosted 5/12/2013 9:37:28 AM
el_tercer_poder posted...
Seems you're forgetting something important: GF already tried something like this with the elemental Pledge moves in Doubles/Triples.

Those just created field effects when used together.
---
I want a pet Lavos Spawn.
[Order of the Cetaceans: Phocoena dioptrica]
#50el_tercer_poderPosted 5/12/2013 9:58:34 AM
uwnim posted...
el_tercer_poder posted...

Those just created field effects when used together.

You're missing the point.
With so few of them, I believed that GF introduced them as a sort of testing ground for future games.

Can you imagine brand new attacks than could be created by combining two moves, like how it worked with the Pledges?
---
"Many of you feel bad for this lamp...That is because you're crazy.
It has no feelings! And the new one is much better." (IKEA's Lamp commercial)