This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PREDICT the types of Xerneas and Yvetal!

#41SammuthegreatPosted 5/13/2013 3:06:45 AM
I think you have to consider the Norse mythology they seem to be based on.

Xerneas appears based on the four male harts that eat from Yggdrasil, the world tree of Norse Mythology. They each have a different coloured gemstone in their branch-like antlers - red, blue, purple and gold. Xerneas's antlers appear to cover all four of these colours, and they look like the branches of a tree. I'd guess at Grass for one type given the tree association, and if Fairy is real, probably that too. So Xerneas could be Grass/Fairy.

Yveltal appears to be based on the blind (and unnamed) eagle that sits atop Yggdrasil. This eagle is blind and has a hawk perched on its head - see Yveltal's pupil-less eyes and its horns, which are vaguely reminiscent of a dark bird perching. My guess is that the blind aspect will mean either Ghost or Psychic, while the eagle association clearly denotes Flying. So my guess is Yveltal is possibly Ghost/Flying.

The 3rd legendary, if the Norse influence is true, will be based on Nidhogg, the serpent/dragon (a serpentine creature could easily be curled into a Z-shape) that gnaws at the roots of Yggdrasil. It is supposedly trapped by the roots, suggesting a potential grass weakness. Ground (or possibly Rock) fits better than Water since it is underground. So I suspect possibly Ground/Dragon for the "Z" legendary.

Also worth noting is that there's a fourth deity associated with Yggdrasil - Ratatoskr, the squirrel that runs up and down the world tree to carry messages between Nidhogg and the eagle. I suspect this may be the "cute" Gen VI legendary.
#42DigiPokeManiacPosted 5/13/2013 3:31:17 AM
Dragon/Fire/Fighting/I'mSoFunny
#43deidara21Posted 5/13/2013 5:01:08 AM
Xerneas= Steel/Psychic
Yvetal= Dark/Flying
---
Lemmings- "Wanna go back to your place?" "Do you have any condoms?" "Haha Who needs condoms"
#44Devil_ChromePosted 5/13/2013 5:02:57 AM
Xerneas - Steel/Fairy or Steel/Grass
Yveltal - Fire/Fairy or Fire/Lightning
---
"Prepare yourself for an eternity in Hell."
-The One that hunts Souls..
#45Renjiro7Posted 5/13/2013 5:09:05 AM
RX02Banshee posted...
Renjiro7 posted...
It was in the forest but Xerneas itself doesn't look grassy at all to me. Its antlers might look like tree branches but they're not brown, they're glowing with prismatic colors and look hard like steel more than wood.

Actually it is brown. http://i1.minus.com/iJeXdQxlpZ5EC.jpg

The antlers are part brown and shaped like tree branches with the other branches being rainbow coloured. Its legs are the same colour as the brown antlers as well, as is the small triangle thing on its chest.

This points to it being a sort of forest guardian/spirit, and given that it would likely be grass type. I'd also say it would be likely to be Fairy type as that is what fairies tend to be part of if the type ends up being real.

Seems hardly part brown...the antlers for the most part are light coloured, shaped like tree branches but that's not surprising. It does look like a "forest guardian/spirit" though so I guess Grass wouldn't really be a stretch, but it doesn't look grassy enough for me to think it's that type.
#46divinity_7Posted 5/13/2013 5:24:45 AM
Why does the guardian of the forest has to be grass-type? If I recall correctly, the guardian of the sea was Lugia, a psychic/flying-type.

Anyway, here is my guess:
Xerneas: Steel/Normal.
Yveltal: Dark/Psychic with levitate. Although Flying/something seems very likely too.
---
Black 2 FC: 4084-5133-3462 (Mei)
Playing: MK7, Black2, Halo4.
#47RX02Banshee(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2013 5:46:46 AM
Renjiro7 posted...
RX02Banshee posted...
Renjiro7 posted...
It was in the forest but Xerneas itself doesn't look grassy at all to me. Its antlers might look like tree branches but they're not brown, they're glowing with prismatic colors and look hard like steel more than wood.

Actually it is brown. http://i1.minus.com/iJeXdQxlpZ5EC.jpg

The antlers are part brown and shaped like tree branches with the other branches being rainbow coloured. Its legs are the same colour as the brown antlers as well, as is the small triangle thing on its chest.

This points to it being a sort of forest guardian/spirit, and given that it would likely be grass type. I'd also say it would be likely to be Fairy type as that is what fairies tend to be part of if the type ends up being real.

Seems hardly part brown...the antlers for the most part are light coloured, shaped like tree branches but that's not surprising. It does look like a "forest guardian/spirit" though so I guess Grass wouldn't really be a stretch, but it doesn't look grassy enough for me to think it's that type.

If you look carefully at the antlers you will see that they are eight of them with a coloured one that basically threads through the brown one. Or 16 horns, w/e. But they are indeed brown, eight brown horns with a coloured horn threaded in each one almost like a root from a plant.
---
Official Piplup of the Pokemon X board.
Current Location: In your nightmares with a knife and a gun and a chilling wail
#48EidolithPosted 5/13/2013 6:21:24 AM
Dain, Duneyr, Dvalin and Durathror don't have coloured gems in their antlers as far as i know, think that was just made up to make the theory seem more believable.

Xerneas might still be based on those four or maybe Eikthyrnir which is a fift deer that might be a combination of those four( mythology has a tendency of merging deities and mythic beasts as time goes by) or it could be based on Cernnunos.

Back on topic, i think Xerneas could be a new type if such exists, so maybe monotyped or newtype/grass-steel-ground-psychic

Yveltal could be flying/dark-fire-psychic-newtype

Dunno, but fun to speculate
#49Renjiro7Posted 5/13/2013 6:27:07 AM
Here's a type nobody seems to be expecting for Yveltal: Poison, as its color scheme could seem to indicate, like it's biohazard...opposite of Xerneas who seems to be pro nature/life
#50RX02Banshee(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2013 10:11:21 AM
Renjiro7 posted...
Here's a type nobody seems to be expecting for Yveltal: Poison, as its color scheme could seem to indicate, like it's biohazard...opposite of Xerneas who seems to be pro nature/life

I like your way of thinking, anti-nature vs nature.
---
Official Piplup of the Pokemon X board.
Current Location: In your nightmares with a knife and a gun and a chilling wail