This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My summary why generation 4 is the best generation IMO.

#1Thepenguinking2Posted 5/12/2013 3:47:55 PM
1. The physical special split
We all know this. The physical special split buffed up many pokemon. I mean really, why is FIRE PUNCH a special move in gen 3? It's a PUNCH. So yeah, the physical special split buffed up some pokemon, and made some moves make mpore sense.
2. New berry growth mechanic in SSHG
THANK
GOODNESS.
The berry mechanic in RSEDPPT was DISGUSTING. the berry mechanic in SSHG was awesome. you take it everywhere, and it's harder to have withered. so it is much better.
3. Useless Pokemon get epic evos
Remember what gen 2 did to Golbat? Gen 4 abused that action. The useless yanma and tangela were highly improved. Plus, A few already epic Pokemon (Namely Sneasel and electabuzz) gave us some of the best Pokemon of those types. Heck, Weavile is my favorite dark and ice type, and Electivire is my favorite electric type! I loved all the evos (Besides probopass). Honchkrow? Magmortar? Mismagnius? Tangrowth? I love them all!
4.SSHG
The best remakes ever. They added the new berry growth mechanic, Following pokemon, The touch screen is your menu, just a brilliant game. Only problem? THAT STUPID FLIP!
5.Team Galactic
Near the beginning, they make you think "Bleh, just a purple team rocket", but near the end, you realize their true awesomeness. The leader plans to DESTROY THE UNIVERSE AND RECREATE IT FOR HIS OWN! That's just awesome. Their theme is also memorable.
6. SSHG's contest is not useless
regularly, the contests are pointless. *coughmusicalcough* but SSHG introduced the pokeathlon. this actually has a point. instead of dressing up pokemon and getting useless medals or props, you gain points. These points are used to purchase items, like stones, rare candies, kings rocks, and heart scales. So doing it actually has a point!
7. The legendaries
This gen introduced the lowest amount of disliked legendaries for me. Only ONE legendary I do not like. Most of you disagree, but hey, Giratina. Regigigas may have a bad ability, but without it, it hits like a truck. Heatran has a unique gender ratio for legendaries and typing.
8. It has charm
Feeding your pokemon and having them follow you made them feel more than just battle toys. They feel like pets in this generation. I like that.
9. The GTS
Last but not least, the GTS. say goodbye to link cables. "Oh, but how do you trade with friends!?" They have the wireless union room. Which works like a link cable, but better. The GTS allows you to trade pokemon online. Which makes it possible to catch 'em all.

And that's my summary on why I love gen 4.
---
http://pokebot.everyboty.net/pix/217.jpg best picture to ever face the interwebs.
The Official Shiny Zangoose of the X/y Board!
#2Thepenguinking2(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2013 4:42:13 PM
Bump.
---
http://pokebot.everyboty.net/pix/217.jpg best picture to ever face the interwebs.
The Official Shiny Zangoose of the X/y Board!
#3Duskull24Posted 5/12/2013 4:42:58 PM
Here's my summary of why gen 4 is the best gen:
It's not
---
Not changing this sig until Gamefreak brings back the Trick Master. Started 9-19-10
#4Strain42Posted 5/12/2013 4:51:00 PM(edited)
As far as I'm concerned, it's pointless to judge the gens by their mechanics because pretty much every new Gen trumps the previous one.

I'll acknowledge that Gen 4 did debut a lot of cool new gameplay mechanics that have revamped Pokemon, but many of those could have just as easily come from 3 or 5. They were just ideas that happened to get implemented into Gen 4.

I do agree though that Heart and Soul are the best remakes, my only major complaint is I hate how the game forces you to fight Ho-Oh and Lugia before fighting the elite 4 rather than letting them be optional.

But to me, I judge a Gen based on the Pokemon it introduces, the world it takes place it, and the characters it introduces, and in my eyes Gen 4 is the worst in practically all of those. (One of the smallest Pokedexes loaded up with a large percentage of evos, babies and legendaries, No real memorable gym leaders or elite 4 members, one of the worst evil teams the series has seen so far, and an awful world map far too reliant on Mt. Coronet and filled with annoying terrains like swamps and deep snow)

So as far as I'm concerned, Gen 4 was the worst. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

EDIT: Oh, and the Rival being imo the most annoying irritating character in the history of the series.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#5Rad_DudesmanPosted 5/12/2013 4:51:37 PM
^Barry's a great rival, second only to Silver.
---
The raddest Pokemon fan there ever was.
#6MasterCyndaquilPosted 5/12/2013 5:05:33 PM
My summary:

HG/SS was the only great thing about it.
---
Yes guys, I have returned. No, my cat did not eat my Sapphire version.
#7StephenYap3Posted 5/13/2013 4:47:31 PM
Thepenguinking2 posted...
2. New berry growth mechanic in SSHG
THANK
GOODNESS.
The berry mechanic in RSEDPPT was DISGUSTING. the berry mechanic in SSHG was awesome. you take it everywhere, and it's harder to have withered. so it is much better.

I liked both berry mechanics equally, to be honest. The Berry Pots were a convient feature, but being allowed up to a maximum four berry trees to grow brought it down from being a better addition.

4.SSHG
The best remakes ever. They added the new berry growth mechanic, Following pokemon, The touch screen is your menu, just a brilliant game. Only problem? THAT STUPID FLIP!

The best of Generation 4, yes. I have fond memories for FRLG. I also agree that the touch screen is utilized to the fullest, something that D/P/Pt failed to do. And what is this "stupid flip"?

5.Team Galactic
Near the beginning, they make you think "Bleh, just a purple team rocket", but near the end, you realize their true awesomeness. The leader plans to DESTROY THE UNIVERSE AND RECREATE IT FOR HIS OWN! That's just awesome. Their theme is also memorable.

The name "Team Galactic" was the only thing I found awesome about them. Other than that, they weren't bad, but nothing special. I liked the two team thing in R/S. Never played Emerald.

7. The legendaries
This gen introduced the lowest amount of disliked legendaries for me. Only ONE legendary I do not like. Most of you disagree, but hey, Giratina. Regigigas may have a bad ability, but without it, it hits like a truck. Heatran has a unique gender ratio for legendaries and typing.

While I do appreciate more legendaries to catch in any game, most of Gen 4's legendaries weren't that exciting to look at to me. The legendaries I'll remember are Regigigas, Manaphy, Darkrai, and Arceus, but are only gotten through external methods. (i.e. Pal Parking the three Regis from R/S/E and getting the event items)

8. It has charm
Feeding your pokemon and having them follow you made them feel more than just battle toys. They feel like pets in this generation. I like that.

Yeah, that is a cute feature. It would be nice if it was a toggleable feature since sometimes, I'd like to travel without something looking into my trainer's butt.
---
Sticker Battle Adventure: The most eccentrically intriguing genre ever made!
#8EpsteinBarrPosted 5/13/2013 4:48:36 PM
You forgot the real reason: the world and the atmosphere.
#9FuneralCakePosted 5/13/2013 4:50:10 PM
My summary of why gen 4 is bad:

Because it's not gen 3, which we all know is the best gen.
---
NO MORE HOME ROWED BECAUSE I'M A GOOD GIRL
so drag me down to the ocean floor, 'cause i don't wanna fight no more
#10Dark_ZoroarkPosted 5/13/2013 4:51:12 PM
EpsteinBarr posted...
You forgot the real reason: the world and the atmosphere.

This, Sinnoh and Johto had the best Atmosphere of the series.
---
ATTN: This user is forbidden to post forever, its account will be Banned in 3 days.
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/user.php?board=1947548