This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Competitive Playing, Help!

#1HunterTrainer72Posted 5/13/2013 11:16:30 PM
Its no surprise that pokemon has evolved ever since Gen. I (pun intended). Ever since Red, Blue, and Yellow I have been in the competitive play, and after Gold, Silver, and Crystal I quit Pokemon. A few years later, my girlfriend gave me her Gameboy SP and in it Ruby, I played it and I was back in the game! (Granted, this was after Pearl, Diamond and Platinum came out.) So I bought a DS and Pearl, and my adventure to the newer world of Pokemon and wifi began.

Now hear me out, please their is a great deal of strategy in Pokemon nowadays, heck we have special AND normal moves now! But there is something bothering me and I want to join in the fun, its called EV training. What... The.... EFF! I think I got the jist of it but, come on someone throw me a bone here. I've read so much about it and still am confused!

Granted my wifi and DS don't work, but my wifi and 3DS do, this is where you guys come in. I want to fight trainers across the globe with EV trained Pokemon, just need a little more understanding so here is my question:

- 4 EV's = 1 at level 100? Ok so this one confuses me right off the bat. I think I got it but need a small explanation. Like does it mean: When EV training your Pokemon lets say you face a wild pokemon with a +2EV in Atk, you KO 160 of this type, at level 100 does that mean your pokemon gets 80 more EV's in Atk?

I just dont get it, come on guys help me out lol
---
Sweet Mother Sweet Mother, send your child unto me for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear....
#2fleetfoxsPosted 5/13/2013 11:20:13 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3fleetfoxsPosted 5/13/2013 11:21:46 PM
HunterTrainer72 posted...
Its no surprise that pokemon has evolved ever since Gen. I (pun intended). Ever since Red, Blue, and Yellow I have been in the competitive play, and after Gold, Silver, and Crystal I quit Pokemon. A few years later, my girlfriend gave me her Gameboy SP and in it Ruby, I played it and I was back in the game! (Granted, this was after Pearl, Diamond and Platinum came out.) So I bought a DS and Pearl, and my adventure to the newer world of Pokemon and wifi began.

Now hear me out, please their is a great deal of strategy in Pokemon nowadays, heck we have special AND normal moves now! But there is something bothering me and I want to join in the fun, its called EV training. What... The.... EFF! I think I got the jist of it but, come on someone throw me a bone here. I've read so much about it and still am confused!

Granted my wifi and DS don't work, but my wifi and 3DS do, this is where you guys come in. I want to fight trainers across the globe with EV trained Pokemon, just need a little more understanding so here is my question:

- 4 EV's = 1 at level 100? Ok so this one confuses me right off the bat. I think I got it but need a small explanation. Like does it mean: When EV training your Pokemon lets say you face a wild pokemon with a +2EV in Atk, you KO 160 of this type, at level 100 does that mean your pokemon gets 80 more EV's in Atk?

I just dont get it, come on guys help me out lol

yes, that's correct.
max EVs for a single stat is 255 (252 being the last number that makes a difference), and total EVs for a pokes stats always equal 510 (508 being the last number that makes a difference).
---
Hardcore.
#4Lux_SentouPosted 5/13/2013 11:21:54 PM
Essentially, yes, that is the gist of it. Just make sure not to put more than 252 evs into a given stat, as that is the individual stat cap. And you only have 510 evs in total to spread across stats the general recommendation is to max evs on two stats, generally the "specialty stats" of the pokemon, and use the remaining 6 wherever you want. Although, there are exceptions, of course.
---
I cannot protect you without holding a sword.
I cannot embrace you while holding a sword.
#5Decon082Posted 5/13/2013 11:22:26 PM
Also, using vitamins like HP Up, Protein, etc... You can feed your Pokemon these until they reach 100 EVs in a given stat, or 510 total. So if you want to max out Attack, for example, you can start by giving 10 Protein, and then you'll only have to battle for 152 EVs, which will save a good amount of time if you have the money.
---
Official Chespin of the Pokemon X boards.
http://www.youtube.com/Decon082/
#6HunterTrainer72(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2013 11:29:33 PM
Decon082 posted...
Also, using vitamins like HP Up, Protein, etc... You can feed your Pokemon these until they reach 100 EVs in a given stat, or 510 total. So if you want to max out Attack, for example, you can start by giving 10 Protein, and then you'll only have to battle for 152 EVs, which will save a good amount of time if you have the money.

Ok people bring this up a lot too.

Alright I give my pokemon 10 protein lets say. 152 EV's to go, gotcha. SO that means I can fight 152 Machop and Atk would be maxed?

Another thing I want to know is, how does natures fall in line with EV's?
---
Sweet Mother Sweet Mother, send your child unto me for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear....
#7Lux_SentouPosted 5/13/2013 11:57:44 PM
Decon082 posted...

Alright I give my pokemon 10 protein lets say. 152 EV's to go, gotcha. SO that means I can fight 152 Machop and Atk would be maxed?

On the first count, yes, that is correct.

On the second point, evs and natures exist seperately from one another. A pokemon will earn the same evs regardless of nature. However, certain natures, by default, make certain stats higher. So you will want to use the nature to augment stats in addition to evs. However, the nature will have no effect on ev output. A pokemon with 252 attack evs will get 64 more points in their attack stat, regardless of nature. However, the nature will, itself, make the base attack stat higher or lower
---
I cannot protect you without holding a sword.
I cannot embrace you while holding a sword.
#8HunterTrainer72(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2013 9:25:17 AM
Lux_Sentou posted...
Decon082 posted...

On the second point, evs and natures exist seperately from one another. A pokemon will earn the same evs regardless of nature. However, certain natures, by default, make certain stats higher. So you will want to use the nature to augment stats in addition to evs. However, the nature will have no effect on ev output. A pokemon with 252 attack evs will get 64 more points in their attack stat, regardless of nature. However, the nature will, itself, make the base attack stat higher or lower

Ah ok thanks man that makes a lot of sense lol

Thank you all for the information, I'm getting it... Slowly but surely lol

But for one more question, could I make a regular attacker, lets say Croconaw, train him to become a SP. Attacker?
---
#9pokemonfreak97Posted 5/14/2013 9:31:46 AM
Lux_Sentou posted...
Decon082 posted...

Ah ok thanks man that makes a lot of sense lol

Thank you all for the information, I'm getting it... Slowly but surely lol

But for one more question, could I make a regular attacker, lets say Croconaw, train him to become a SP. Attacker?

It is POSSIBLE. However, let's look at Croconaw. According to Bulbapedia (at bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net; good resource), Croconaw's base Attack is 80 and its base Special Attack is 59. Neither are good, but let's say that for some reason you want to use a Croconaw. Its maximum Attack stat (with 31 IVs, 252 EVs, boosting nature) is 284. Its maximum Special Attack stat (same) is 238. So it CAN use Special attacks, and if it has a Special Attack boosting nature that doesn't hinder Attack, and all 31 IVs, but 252 EVs only in Sp. Atk., it will have 195 Atk. and 238 Sp. Atk. So a higher Special Attack is possible, but Croconaw is a worse special attacker than physical attacker.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4