This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why the fairy-type makes sense. (And why others can make the cut)

#1Chao777Posted 5/14/2013 5:47:53 AM
So, back in March I got into a conversation with a gamestop clerk after buying Gates to Infinity, Dark Moon, and Bioshock Infinite. He seemed hyped about X&Y so I asked him what he thought of the "Sylveon debacle" (because this is controversial around here, apparently).

I told the guy that I thought Sylveon would be a brand new type and several "cutesey" Pokémon, such as Chansey and Clefairy, would be retyped.

He agreed, and gave this absolutely brilliant explanation as to why this makes sense (outside of a gameplay perspective). I'll try to quote him as accurately as I can.

"Well, Pokémon's always been about science and scientific progress. When scientists discover something, they try to fit it into a category that already exists. But as you keep discovering things, older discoveries and categorizations might be wrong. It's like when biologists reclass a specie's family based on new evidence. So in the Pokémon world, that would mean that there hasn't been enough evidence for the fairy-type, but there is now."

This same logic could be used to justify other types, like sound or cosmic-types.
#2Emerald_MeliosPosted 5/16/2013 10:29:04 AM
Like with Magnemite.
#3scrappybristolPosted 5/16/2013 10:30:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pV_NfTSctI
---
This sig is significant
#4KitschgardenerPosted 5/16/2013 10:40:22 AM(edited)
Like with Magnemite.

It took <2 years for them to realise Magnemite and Magneton were Steel-type, and assuming RSE are contemporaneous with RGBY, Hoennites would have known already (but not Kanto for some reason).
If XY take place after GSC or BW or B2W2, it'll have taken them over two years to realise a dozen+ Pokémon were Fairy-type. Which is odd to say the least. Although this is the Pokémon world and people often lack common sense completely.
#5InhaledCornPosted 5/16/2013 10:40:47 AM
... Actually, this makes sense. I like this reasoning.
---
3DS FC: 2578-3118-6645 PSN: PowahBoxers
*headdesk* what a time to have no money...
#6IceDragon77Posted 5/16/2013 10:41:42 AM
Like with Magnemite.

It took <2 years for them to realise Magemite and Magneton were Steel-type, and assuming RSE are contemporaneous with RGBY, Hoennites would have known already (but not Kanto for some reason).
If XY take place after GSC or BW or B2W2, it'll have taken them over two years to realise a dozen+ Pokémon were Fairy-type. Which is odd to say the least. Although this is the Pokémon world and people often lack common sense completely.

/topic
---
http://i.imgur.com/xWWX5xm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tMhFpCD.jpg Thanks Fellwolf and L4DHunter! <3
#7hellslingerPosted 5/16/2013 10:42:10 AM
You can't try that type of reasoning with some of the people on this board.

The way they act you think a fairy murdered their whole family as a child.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Qf7Mh.jpg
#8BoyOfBattlePosted 5/16/2013 10:46:36 AM
"Well, Pokémon's always been about science and scientific progress.

LMFAO

maybe that's why he's a gamestop clerk
---
NO TROLLOING!!! ~game_lover_man
Spurs. "Bat" Manu. Tony Parkour. Tim Duncan "You." we already won.
#9Shadow15463Posted 5/16/2013 10:52:44 AM(edited)
BoyOfBattle posted...
"Well, Pokémon's always been about science and scientific progress.

LMFAO

maybe that's why he's a gamestop clerk

maybe that's why you're still a child
---
Games I can NOT wait for:
Zelda WiiU, Super Smash bros 4, Fallout 4, Remember Me, Watch Dogs, GTA V
#10jayman7Posted 5/16/2013 10:52:56 AM
While your argument doesn't relate to any type specifically, it is a pretty interesting argument.

It doesn't really explain why their weaknesses change (in-universe), but still...
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere