This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why do people think posion is a bad type?

#21Ku-Ri-BohPosted 5/14/2013 8:28:30 AM
Arceus can be a poison legendary and its only niche is absorb Toxic Spikes
#22Tatakai-No-Kami(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2013 8:38:30 AM
giratina is uber though. and if you wanna go there, ghost arceus is the best ghost in the whole game.
---
KINGLER for president.
http://i.imgur.com/ipgZbBu.png
#23HorithPosted 5/14/2013 8:42:41 AM
Tatakai-No-Kami posted...
people also seem to not realize how good toxicroak, tentacruel, amoonguss, venusaur, nidoking, and roserade are.

in particular, toxicroak would be completely awful if he wasnt half poison. because he is a poison type, he nearly dominates the tier.

Toxicroak and Tentacruel are good because of Rain, and in Tentacruel's case, because of how specially bulky it is. All poison does is give Tentacruel neutrality to Grass, and a weakness to Ground and Psychic.

Amoonguss has good bulk and Regenerator, plus Spore. It loses its Ground resistance and gets a Psychic weakness thanks to Poison typing.

Venusaur has Chlorophyll and Growth in the sun. Poison typing does little to nothing for it.

Nidoking is good because of its movepool, and that's about it.

Roserade has impressive attacking stats, and a great support movepool.

There's a huge difference between Pokemon with a Poison-type being good, and Poison itself as a type being good. All the Pokemon you listed are good for other reasons, and they just happen to have Poison as a type. That does not make Poison inherently good.
---
"Now when I tell you to ascend to a higher plane of consciousness, you say HOW HIGH SIR?" --Bucky Katt
#24ZabuzadonoPosted 5/14/2013 9:09:30 AM
Poison is a bad type. All poison types that are good are good because of their OTHER type.

Case-in-point: No pure-poison pokemon is considered good.

Above average Poison types:
Croagunk: poison / FIGHTING (and Dry Skin, giving it a water immunity)
Tentacruel: poison / WATER (and Rain Dish)
Nidoking: poison / GROUND (and movepool)
Amoongus: poison / GRASS (and Regenerator)
Venusaur: poison / GRASS (good because of Chlorophyll)
Crobat: poison / FLYING
Drapion: poison / DARK

The ONLY possible counter-point is Weezing, and he is still pretty bad IMHO.
---
Skyrim is the girl who keeps breaking my heart, yet is so hot I still keep coming back on the chance I may get to sleep with her again. - Spurner
#25Tatakai-No-Kami(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2013 11:16:50 AM
Horith posted...
Toxicroak and Tentacruel are good because of Rain, and in Tentacruel's case, because of how specially bulky it is. All poison does is give Tentacruel neutrality to Grass, and a weakness to Ground and Psychic.

Amoonguss has good bulk and Regenerator, plus Spore. It loses its Ground resistance and gets a Psychic weakness thanks to Poison typing.

Venusaur has Chlorophyll and Growth in the sun. Poison typing does little to nothing for it.

Nidoking is good because of its movepool, and that's about it.

Roserade has impressive attacking stats, and a great support movepool.

There's a huge difference between Pokemon with a Poison-type being good, and Poison itself as a type being good. All the Pokemon you listed are good for other reasons, and they just happen to have Poison as a type. That does not make Poison inherently good.

its quite obvious to me that you understand nothing about competitive pokemon
---
KINGLER for president.
#26reaverzPosted 5/14/2013 11:19:06 AM
Gens II-V: Terrible offensively, and doesn't pack the number of resistances that Steel does to make up for it.
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#27_KGC_Posted 5/14/2013 11:21:47 AM
TC, what do you think about Grass types defensively? I see people hate on it all the time, even calling it a bad defensive type due to all the weaknesses it has.
---
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
- Yogi Berra
#28_KGC_Posted 5/14/2013 11:25:24 AM
Also if Poison does nothing for Tentacruel besides add a Ground/Psychic weakness then why use Tentacruel over Blastoise?
---
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
- Yogi Berra
#29Strain42Posted 5/14/2013 11:26:39 AM(edited)
Most of what makes Poison good can be done by tons of non Poison types (Toxic and Toxic Spikes seem to be the big ones)

Don't get me wrong, I love Poison types, I use several of them. But I use them because I tend to like their designs and the concept of their element, not because they're overall powerful.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#30Tatakai-No-Kami(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2013 11:27:43 AM
_KGC_ posted...
TC, what do you think about Grass types defensively? I see people hate on it all the time, even calling it a bad defensive type due to all the weaknesses it has.

grass is good. water, electric, and ground resist is good. people who play this game are really dumb.

the only types that are legitimately bad are ice, normal, fire, dark and rock. they are horrible typings to have in most cases unless they are on a pokemon who's secondary typing is good enough to balance it out.

why do you think heatran and infernape are the only fire types to ever see use?

why do you think kyurem is the only ice type to ever see use?

sure, those types are not bad as attacking types, so stab on them can be ok, but lets be serious. do i want to use a pokemon with such a vulnerable typing just so i can get a minor attack boost when using some attacks?
---
KINGLER for president.