This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Haven't Played a Pokemon Game Since Ruby/Sapphire. Some Questions.

#1TwilightEchoesPosted 5/14/2013 12:19:51 PM
So I haven't played a single Pokemon game since the 3rd generation, so I'd like to ask a few questions to bring me up to speed. Answers would be greatly appretiated.

1. Can we run now? I hated not being able to move quickly until I got a bike half-way through the game.

2. What's this "metagame" I'm hearing about?

3. Are the buffs and debuff moves useful? Never used them as a kid.

4. Any new types that have been introduced besides this "fairy" type coming in XY?

5. Can we trade Pokemon online? Fight online? Any other online features?

6. Have the recent gens used the DS touch screen?

7. Have any more complexities/mechanics been added to the battle system since 3rd gen?
---
[Insert an "[Insert witty saying or joke]" sig here]
#2GhetsisPosted 5/14/2013 12:22:00 PM
TwilightEchoes posted...
So I haven't played a single Pokemon game since the 3rd generation, so I'd like to ask a few questions to bring me up to speed. Answers would be greatly appretiated.

1. Can we run now? I hated not being able to move quickly until I got a bike half-way through the game.

4. Any new types that have been introduced besides this "fairy" type coming in XY?

7. Have any more complexities/mechanics been added to the battle system since 3rd gen?

1. You could run in R/S, I don't know why you're asking this..

2. Competitive battling.

3. Yes, but not for your typical in-game battles.

4. No.

5. Yes. And the other online features are pretty lame.

6. Yes, but not in any distracting ways.

7. Yes, starting with Gen IV (Diamond/Pearl,) Physical and Special are determined by the attack itself, rather than the attack's type.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#3PSOLavisPosted 5/14/2013 12:22:19 PM
TwilightEchoes posted...

1. You could run since gen 2

2. doesn't matter, just worry about the game first, babysteps.

3. In game, yes. Competitive no, don't worry about them

4. As far as we know, no

5. yes to all, also go to pokemonshowdown.com to battle right now for free with gen 5

6. Slightly

7. Not really as far as I can think of now
#4TwilightEchoes(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2013 12:25:10 PM
Thanks for the answers, guys. Man, I do not remember being able to run in the game back then.
---
[Insert an "[Insert witty saying or joke]" sig here]
#5SewaddlePosted 5/14/2013 12:27:40 PM(edited)
PSOLavis posted...
1. You could run since gen 2

3. In game, yes. Competitive no, don't worry about them

lol
#6GhetsisPosted 5/14/2013 12:31:22 PM
TwilightEchoes posted...
Thanks for the answers, guys. Man, I do not remember being able to run in the game back then.

Well, you could. R/S were the game that introduced them. You got the Running Shoes right after you got the Pokedex. Though in FRLG, you didn't get them until after your first Gym Badge.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?