This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Attack Priority

#1PSOLavisPosted 5/14/2013 12:34:23 PM
Does anyone else think the way priority moves work is really stupid and should be changed. For example, lets say you have a pokemon with 1 speed versus a pokemon with 999 speed. Impossible without cheating, but surely using quick attack would not allot the first pokemon to hit first. Except, as I'm sure we all know, that is not the case. To me, it is such a poor mechanic and should be completely revamped this gen.

So before anyone asks, I actually do have an idea of how this should work. Priority should work first off completely separately from things like switching out, otherwise pokemon switching out could be hit by moves other then pursuit (which defeats the purpose of switching). So how should it work? It should be an addition of base speed depending on the priority of the move. So +1 would say equal 10 base speed, so lets take arceus for example. Arceus uses ES with +2 priority, so while attacking with ES he would have a base speed of 140, as opposed to 120. This would still be extremely beneficial, but no longer can he hit things like deoxys speed first.

I believe this would make for a far more interesting mechanic that makes some sense (not that pokemon is meant to have much sense at all).
#2GhetsisPosted 5/14/2013 12:36:37 PM
NO.

I like Mach Punch Conkeldurr. And Quick Attack Bibarel.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#3DoctorJimmy133Posted 5/14/2013 12:38:51 PM(edited)
That would hurt competitive battling by requiring you and your opponent to know the exact speed stat of the Pokémon.
---
Why do I have to move with the crowd of kids that hardly notice I'm around? I work myself to death just to fit in.
#4-hotdogturtle--Posted 5/14/2013 12:51:35 PM
The entire point (and infact, the very concept itself) of "priority" is to bypass (ignore) the normal use of the speed stat and go first (or in some cases last) regardless of stats.

So no.
---
Hey man, LlamaGuy did encrypt the passwords.
With what? ROT-13? -CJayC
#5PSOLavis(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2013 1:58:51 PM
DoctorJimmy133 posted...
That would hurt competitive battling by requiring you and your opponent to know the exact speed stat of the Pokémon.

If you battle competitively and do not know base speeds, or have the ability to find out quickly, than you have no business battling competitively. In fact it would help battling by further propagating risk vs reward. You can never be sure what ev spread a pokemon is using, and with most of the best players using builds different from smogon it would help increase smart play. No longer can one pokemon get a free hit in first on a far faster opponet.

Anything that would require thinking I realize is generally shunned by the fanbase, as well as any change. Despite that though, there is no reason why the gameplay should not evolve, and priority is a flawed mechanic that I believe simplifies certain aspects of battling.

As of yet no argument has been put up as to why it should not change other than it would make the purpose of priority need to change and people are lazy. Not only is that erroneous, since the concept is merely to outspeed pokemon, no reason why it would need to outspeed all non-priority users.

Agree or disagree, but lets have a discussion on the matter and point to reasons why it should b kept the same, and reasons why it shouldn't.
#6DoctorJimmy133Posted 5/14/2013 2:04:36 PM
If you battle competitively and do not know base speeds, or have the ability to find out quickly, than you have no business battling competitively.

I did not say base speed. I said speed.
---
Why do I have to move with the crowd of kids that hardly notice I'm around? I work myself to death just to fit in.
#7Hierarchy225Posted 5/14/2013 2:05:20 PM
No damnit!

The way it works now is perfect. The whole point of priority is so that slower, but powerful pokes like scizor aren't automatically destroyed by faster pokemon.
#8-hotdogturtle--Posted 5/14/2013 2:16:30 PM
No longer can one pokemon get a free hit in first on a far faster opponet.

But that is the entire reason that priority moves were invented.

All that your suggestion would do would make some Pokemon with low base speed functionally useless, while having no effect whatsoever on Pokemon that are already fast.
---
Hey man, LlamaGuy did encrypt the passwords.
With what? ROT-13? -CJayC
#9vital_tundraPosted 5/14/2013 2:19:23 PM
So slow Pokemon just have to deal with being slow?
---
I wish Blastoise was my dad. He wouldn't beat my mom like what her boyfriend, Johnny does. If Blastoise was my dad things would be different around here.