This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gen 6 seems to finally take that "leap forward"

#1_FifthWarrior_Posted 5/15/2013 1:51:06 AM
I guess they needed to wait for a new console to finally do it.

Since Houenn and gen III people (on gfaqs at least) have been complaining that the games adhere too rigidly to the established formula, and dont really do anything new within the series of the "main games". I guess this is the generation that they finally do make the games feel entirely fresh and different.

You'll still have the basic mechanics we've always had with the tweaking that comes every gen, but this game will feel more different from the last than any other generation- 3D overworld, diagonal movement, no waist-length trees rendering the player utterly incapable of moving beyond, 3D pokemon battles, pokemon attacks actually show being performed. It's going to a hell of a ride.

And it's a really good thing. Look at me- I've played every single pokemon generation (not all games but every generation) on their respective handhelds as I grew up. These past few years, most of my DS's work has really been playing new pokemon games as college kept me too busy to play many different games. Now I'm about to graduate and start working, and I was thinking I'm finally not gonna buy the 3DS and probably not buy the next pokemon game.

But after looking at this stuff >__> I really do gotta catch them all. I'll be a lawyer who buys a 3DS XL and Pokemon X for it. Sheesh. Well done, Gamefreak.

Anybody else feel this way? This generation will drag back old players, give the series a fresh feel and hopefully increase the new audience size as well.
---
Phantasy Star Zero FC: 4597 9724 9115
#2FuneralCakePosted 5/15/2013 1:57:21 AM
While I agree with you for the most part, I think most of the complaints about the series being too rigid or unchanging are about the structure of the game itself. Unless they do something different with the whole "defeat the 8 gyms, defeat the evil team, defeat the Elite 4" sequence, people are still going to complain.
---
NO MORE HOME ROWED BECAUSE I'M A GOOD GIRL
so drag me down to the ocean floor, 'cause i don't wanna fight no more
#3AlbinoCrocodilePosted 5/15/2013 2:01:01 AM
FuneralCake posted...
While I agree with you for the most part, I think most of the complaints about the series being too rigid or unchanging are about the structure of the game itself. Unless they do something different with the whole "defeat the 8 gyms, defeat the evil team, defeat the Elite 4" sequence, people are still going to complain.

The game is still aimed towards children which is what most manchildren forget. The formula that works shouldn't be broken for some crying adults when there's plenty of kids eager to get into it as they grow.
---
Snap snap.
#4FuneralCakePosted 5/15/2013 2:05:06 AM
How is it aimed towards children? It's aimed at everybody. A game aimed at children would be something like this: http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/square_small/11/119706/1675442-jump_start_pet_wii.jpg

And, being that it's aimed at everybody, what would they lose by changing the formula? Kids who have never played it will never know the difference, and people who have played it before will (hopefully) appreciate something new.
---
NO MORE HOME ROWED BECAUSE I'M A GOOD GIRL
so drag me down to the ocean floor, 'cause i don't wanna fight no more
#5NeonDragon9000Posted 5/15/2013 2:21:31 AM
How exactly do you know that there won't be "waist-length trees rendering the player utterly incapable of moving beyond?" We've barely seen any of the gameplay at all, it seems a bit early to make assumptions about this game.

And, as far as I'm concerned, until the game finally moves away from "go to this town, beat this Gym, go to that town, beat that Gym" and creates a truly open world, where you can go anywhere from the start (although some areas will obviously be strong for the early outset), the game will continue to follow the standard formula.
---
"Microsoft is not a helicopter." ~Gerald Ilukwe
#6_FifthWarrior_(Topic Creator)Posted 5/15/2013 2:33:59 AM
I'm assuming the waist-high cut trees will be gone because it's impossible to depict them in 3D models without it being completely and visibly absurd.

I don't think the routine of get starter pokemon, beat 8 gyms, defeat evil team, beat elite four needs to be replaced entirely- it cand o with intelligent modifications. And I concede that we have no evidence of such modifications being done, as of yet.

But the visual overhaul and the inevitable changes that it entails will make the game feel fresh enough that even if they dont tweak the above formula much, the game will still be exciting enough to justify a purchase for fading gamers like me.
---
#7_FifthWarrior_(Topic Creator)Posted 5/15/2013 2:37:01 AM
People will obviously complain and declare they're leaving pokemon f0reva!! like they do every generation, regardless of whatever the game does.

Like NeonDragon said, I think making it a more guided-sandbox style adventure, would be pretty amazing. If you could roam the world and do most of the gyms in any order (the trainer pokemon levels could adjust by a formula depending on your strength, the things you've done in the game etc)

And fewer legendaries @_@
---
#8ThatPersonGuyPosted 5/15/2013 3:58:02 AM
FuneralCake posted...
How is it aimed towards children? It's aimed at everybody. A game aimed at children would be something like this: http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/square_small/11/119706/1675442-jump_start_pet_wii.jpg

And, being that it's aimed at everybody, what would they lose by changing the formula? Kids who have never played it will never know the difference, and people who have played it before will (hopefully) appreciate something new.

What age did you start playing Pokemon?

There's your answer.
---
"You don't have an inferiority complex, you're just inferior."
-Sarcastic Announcer in Wave Race
#9DeathSoul2000Posted 5/15/2013 4:07:31 AM
AlbinoCrocodile posted...
FuneralCake posted...

The game is still aimed towards children which is what most manchildren forget. The formula that works shouldn't be broken for some crying adults when there's plenty of kids eager to get into it as they grow.

Kids haven't played pokemon since G/S.
#10Tatakai-No-KamiPosted 5/15/2013 4:20:28 AM
none of that is actually fresh.

havent you played colosseum or XD?
---
KINGLER for president.
http://i.imgur.com/ipgZbBu.png