This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Official pronunciations you dislike

#101kazooie959Posted 5/17/2013 6:41:26 AM
Rethalwolf posted...
Rayquaza.

Me and a friend used to (and still) get into arguments about this one. It is pronounced differently at different times. The movie for example says ray-quaa-za while pokedex 3d says ray-quah-za.
---
I am the great Kazoo! FEAR THE FEATHERS!!!
#102Nomorice4UPosted 5/17/2013 6:56:04 AM
Ampharos posted...
Charizard, its name comes from lizard, shouldn't it be char-IZ-urd (rhyming with lizard) instead of CHAR-iz-ahrd?
same with Blastoise, doesn't sound like tortoise,
and Poochyena/Mightyena, they don't sound like hyena, although i can't think of a better pronunciation really (in my head it's pooch-yeena and might-yeena, because poochee-eena and mightee-eena would be too hard to say)
and so many more...

Lol *imagines ash screaming Blast-Us
---
Capcom All Star dream team - Dr. Wily/Devilot/Donovan or Rouge/Talbain/Megaman(any)
#103Strain42Posted 5/17/2013 8:48:53 AM
Piloswine. I know the Pi is supposed to be pronounced like Pile, but I still saw Pillow-swine

Arceus. When I heard it was a Pokemon god, I assumed the Ceus was supposed to be like Zeus, so I'd been pronouncing it Ar-seuss (like Dr. Seuss) but I eventually got on board and started calling him Ar-sea-us...which is apparently wrong and it's Ar-key-us...which just sounds ridiculous.

Phione...I thought it was like Fee-Own, and the E was silent...like Phone. But no, apparently we're supposed to pronounce the E and it's Fee-Own-Eh

Those are the ones just off the top of my head. I know there are more.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#104Arne83Posted 5/17/2013 8:56:47 AM
Firemaster5 posted...
Reh-sher-uhm instead of Reh-sheer-am? Ok
Zeh-kruhm instead of Zee-krahm? Eh... :(

No.
Resh-i-ram.
Zek-rom.

Do you people even listen?
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
#105CharizardFirePosted 5/17/2013 9:41:43 AM
Feh-RAH-seed/thorn.

This.
---
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq303/CharizardFire6/Char-Brawl.gif
#106jayman7Posted 5/17/2013 9:54:30 AM(edited)
Grammar_man posted...
I don't see the problem with the hard C in Arceus. They clearly went for the latin here(helps makes things seem ancient?), in which the C is always hard.

Like how the latin Caesar(Kay-sar) is actually closer to german Kaiser than the english Caesar(See-Zar).

Um, no. The C is not always hard in Latin.

Tell me, what is the letter that comes after the "C" in "Caesar"? Is it an E? I don't think it's an E.

EDIT: Actually, looking it up, it appears to be based on whatever form of Latin you're talking about. However, the most well known forms have "ce" pronounced as "che". Not "se", admittedly, but it's not officially pronounced "Archeus", is it?
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#107BountyanPosted 5/17/2013 9:51:00 AM
In the anime, Roserade is pronounced "rose-raid." I prefer saying "rose-er-raid."
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#108PolimarioPosted 5/17/2013 9:56:16 AM
CharizardFire posted...
Feh-RAH-seed/thorn.

This.

---
Cogito ergo sum.
MC Krooked the Krookodile.
#109sumuthergamerPosted 5/17/2013 10:01:19 AM
Pendragon71037 posted...
I feel like I'm the only one who pronounces them "GAIR-uh-dose" and "high-DRAY-Gon". I'm glad that I'm not alone in "Are-SEE-Us" though sometimes I do "Are-KEE-Us". Any others that don't sound like it looks like they should?

I do the same. Except I never prefer "Are-KEE-Us".
---
sumuthergamer = some other gamer. Get it?
Call me "gamer", not "sumu"...
#110SummonearthPosted 5/17/2013 10:17:46 AM
Pronouncing Arceus as Ark-ee-us to me sounds MUCH better than Are-see-us or any variation of that as it sounds more pleasing in my ear. Are-see-us reminds me of snake sound and snakes are usually viewed as bad or at least not-well liked animals in mythology and Arceus is suppose to be neutral.
---
"I will speak my mind and say what I want and if you don't like it, well too bad!" "And my Pikachu pillow says hi"