This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think we'll ever see voice acting in a main pokemon game?

#21Capitan_Kid(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2013 1:08:46 PM
Mecamatt posted...
I would like if they did something with a sound indicating how you should read their voices before text pops up, but that's as far as they should go.

A part of what makes games like Legend of Zelda and Animal Crossing so appealing is that they're story centered with variable characters judging on how you perceive the text. Genuine voice acting kills that.

But for example, when Ganondorf comes out you hear a growling "Muhahaha" showing that we should be reading his voice in a grisly dark tone. The voice is augmented in our head for aesthetics, but it's still OUR voice.

I love solidified characters in movies and certain games, but Nintendo knows how to keep its charm, and voice acting isn't how you do it. Look at Metroid Other M.

The Pokemon franchise isn't the kind of series that delivers intense bonding with characters in general, but it definitely has the potential to. It feels like they really shot for it with the 3rd Generation with Wally and May, they just came up short.

They could do it like Fire Emblem Awakening, just have NPCs say short sentences. Like, "Oh hey!" "Look out!" "Thanks!" And etc
---
D-O-G-A-R-S DOGARS!!
Official Husband of Nowi
#22AccrovideogamesPosted 5/16/2013 1:39:43 PM
Voice acting would be great. Pokémon saying their names isn't canon in the games so worries about them are unfounded. The reason why Pikachu says his name in Yellow is because it was a special edition based on the anime. Anyway, Pokémon have had voices since the first game and their cries wouldn't change, they would only improve in quality. Regardless, voice acting here would apply to characters, not Pokémon. I can certainly see it during cutscenes and special cases like the PokéStar Studios.

Dark_Einherjar posted...
I don't think voice acting works very well in games with mute protagonists...

Player characters have never been silent to begin with. They say things like "Go! [Pokémon]!", "[Pokémon], switch out! Come back!", "You're in charge, [Pokémon]!" and "You're foe's weak! Get 'em, [Pokémon]!"; also don't forget about the huge amount of talking they do in PokéStar Studios.
---
I'm French speaking.
23, Male, Quebec
#23Marcx629Posted 5/16/2013 3:32:17 PM
I'd actually like to see this. They could make cutscenes for key points in the game. BW kind of did this with N.

Hopefully they do it in the style of the BW2 trailer and not the Pokemon Anime. Either would work though.

For all we know, this game could have cutscenes like that. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity had some cutscenes. No voices, but they were all really good.
---
In case of a Zombie Apocalypse, follow me!
Add my 3DS FC: 2535-4356-9059 Name:Marcx
#24ArcaneRainbowsPosted 5/16/2013 3:41:44 PM
Yeah I hope so. The protagonist doesn't need to talk, but I would like to hear the other characters voiced. The BW2 trailer seemed to do it right.

On a similar note, I am also supportive of voice acting in the next Zelda- but keep Link mute.
---
FINALLY (RE)CONSTRUCTED: Official Serperior and Looker of the Pokemon Black 2 Board.
#25OnioniumPosted 5/16/2013 6:00:21 PM
It'd be funny if they pulled what they did in FE13 and had grunts for every last text box =p
---
You can say "ass" on GameFAQs. Assy ass ass assington.
#26Capitan_Kid(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2013 5:38:47 AM
Bump!
---
D-O-G-A-R-S DOGARS!!
Official Husband of Nowi
#27Brandon00151Posted 5/17/2013 5:49:14 AM
If Pokemon became big enough that they thought it was worth the extra money to add voice acting, or if text to speech evolved enough to sound like good human voice acting and not a robot. .
#28Capitan_Kid(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2013 6:57:42 AM
Brandon00151 posted...
If Pokemon became big enough that they thought it was worth the extra money to add voice acting, or if text to speech evolved enough to sound like good human voice acting and not a robot. .

Pokemon is pretty big brah.
---
D-O-G-A-R-S DOGARS!!
Official Husband of Nowi
#29javel34Posted 5/17/2013 7:00:31 AM
No because Scolipede
---
Black 2 FC: 3569 1730 6208
#30Izaya_sanPosted 5/17/2013 7:15:19 AM
I hope so. I would love that. I'm pretty sure lots of voice actors around the world would enjoy it as well.

Give me Sugita Tomokazu, Imai Asami, Norio Wakamoto for Japanese voice acting, and on English voice acting give me Dan Green, Veronica Taylor, and Eric Stuart and I'll bring the gold.