This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You know that nothing here confirms Fairy 100%.

#31willingmessPosted 5/17/2013 8:50:16 AM
NewMoonShadow posted...
willingmess posted...
You know, that could just be an ability.

There's a phrase that goes "the simplest solution is usually the most likely one."

What's the simpler assumption here?

That they for some reason took all the Traits of a Type, including a unique set of Strengths, Weaknesses, and Resistances, and put it in a new kind of Ability?

Or that they just made a new Type?

Why use an Ability to simulate a Type instead of just making a Type? It doesn't make it any better, and now your Pokemon has no actual Ability.

Who said anything about a new set of strengths and weaknesses? I'm just saying that type effectiveness abilities are out there, and just because something might have a weakness to poison doesn't make it a new type.
---
"To be, or not to be, that is the question..."
Maybe a bit overdone, but ehh....
#32Strain42Posted 5/17/2013 8:50:22 AM
Arctimon posted...
willingmess posted...
But weren't there reasonable grounds to think Reshiram was dragon/light type? Or that Tepig was fire/dark type?

Who in the world was thinking Reshiram would be Dragon/Light?

A lot of people, believe it or not.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#33NewMoonShadowPosted 5/17/2013 8:54:34 AM(edited)
willingmess posted...
Who said anything about a new set of strengths and weaknesses? I'm just saying that type effectiveness abilities are out there, and just because something might have a weakness to poison doesn't make it a new type.

Okay, now explain what existing Ability makes a Pokemon WEAK to a specific Type of attack?
#34willingmessPosted 5/17/2013 8:53:36 AM
NewMoonShadow posted...
willingmess posted...

Okay, now explain what existing Ability makes a Pokemon WEAK to a specific Type of attack?

Parasect's ability. Dry skin (or whatever it's called)
---
#35Skyward_SneaselPosted 5/17/2013 8:55:42 AM
Jacornonthecob posted...
Strain42 posted...
If memory serves, nothing about the Pokemon Smash actually said "Oh, she's WEAK" to Poison, just that she was affected by it, and all that proves is that she's not a Steel type.

I'm not saying I doubt the Fairy type at this point, I'm pretty prepared to rip that band-aid off quickly, but we still don't really have any official confirmation.

We have a lot of rumors and heresy, some of which come from semi-reliable sources and some of which don't, but nothing is confirmed yet.

Memory fails. They specifically said "It's super effective", but only for poison.

And if you want to wait for official confirmation, why are you even here? There's no point of discussing if you're just going to throw out unlikely maybes.

Maybe because he wants to give his views on a franchise he enjoys and discuss things with people who also like said franchise? Sylveon being Fairy type is still a maybe, so you're being pretty hypocritical. Just because Willingmess (and myself) are not going to believe in rumours and theories without official confirmation, doesn't mean we have to leave. Stop being a Fairy type elitist.
---
Ash Ketchum is a Timelord; he never ages!! That or a vampire...
Official Umbreon and Brock of the Pokemon X boards
#36NewMoonShadowPosted 5/17/2013 8:55:48 AM
willingmess posted...
NewMoonShadow posted...
willingmess posted...

Parasect's ability. Dry skin (or whatever it's called)

Parasect is already weak to Fire even without that Ability. It's 4X weak to fire, in fact.
#37willingmessPosted 5/17/2013 8:59:53 AM
Croagunk has the ability too!
---
#38NewMoonShadowPosted 5/17/2013 9:09:21 AM
Ugh, y'know what, this is just getting stupid.

Look, it's possible that there isn't a Fairy-Type, or a new Type at all... but considering the information we currently have is that there is a new Type, both from Leaks and from Nintendo themselves, both in Sylveons unfathomable design (all the other Eevees look very obviously representative of their base Types), and from them teasing Sylveon with a "What Type is it!?" campaign, it's not an unreasonable assumption that Sylveon is some kind of new Type. It's not unreasonable at all.

Is it possible we're wrong? Yes. Does it matter if we are? No. There's no shame in reaching the wrong conclusion when there's ample evidence that points to that conclusion.

If we're wrong we're wrong. What do you gain by being cynical and right? The right to say "I told you so"? The smug satisfaction of knowing that your stubbornness to acknowledge circumstantial evidence has paid off in you being "correct"? So what?

Again, if we're wrong we're wrong, there's no shame in that, especially when all of the current evidence points to Sylveon being a new Type of some kind. You don't get some kind of extra brownie-points for refusing to believe that evidence and declaring that it's not true because it's not confirmed, even if you end up being right.
#39willingmessPosted 5/17/2013 9:14:29 AM
This happened before with Reshiram. Alot of circumstantial evidence, and no type reveal... Sure I could be wrong, but at least I can say I kept a cool head through the entire ordeal. Not leaping to conclusions. I'll wait for nintendo on the revelation of a new type, thank you.
---
#40Strain42Posted 5/17/2013 9:18:55 AM
NewMoonShadow posted...
Ugh, y'know what, this is just getting stupid.

Look, it's possible that there isn't a Fairy-Type, or a new Type at all... but considering the information we currently have is that there is a new Type, both from Leaks and from Nintendo themselves, both in Sylveons unfathomable design (all the other Eevees look very obviously representative of their base Types), and from them teasing Sylveon with a "What Type is it!?" campaign, it's not an unreasonable assumption that Sylveon is some kind of new Type. It's not unreasonable at all.

Is it possible we're wrong? Yes. Does it matter if we are? No. There's no shame in reaching the wrong conclusion when there's ample evidence that points to that conclusion.

If we're wrong we're wrong. What do you gain by being cynical and right? The right to say "I told you so"? The smug satisfaction of knowing that your stubbornness to acknowledge circumstantial evidence has paid off in you being "correct"? So what?

Again, if we're wrong we're wrong, there's no shame in that, especially when all of the current evidence points to Sylveon being a new Type of some kind. You don't get some kind of extra brownie-points for refusing to believe that evidence and declaring that it's not true because it's not confirmed, even if you end up being right.

That's funny, because I feel the same way about not believing there's gonna be a new type. When the very idea of a new type came up, I said "We go through this every Gen. There probably isn't going to be a new type this gen either." If I was wrong, whatever, I was wrong. If I was right, I didn't lose anything because I didn't get my hopes up for anything.

I think it's adorable you think the people who believed there might not be a new type are the ones who were gonna be going "I told you so." Honestly, the day a new type is confirmed, I'm just avoiding this board like the plague because all the people who've been pro-fairy this whole time aren't gonna shut up about it.

I just like to wait for official confirmation before I pass judgement. It prevents a lot of pointless thinking and I don't get my hopes up for anything.

Do you remember when the Gen 5 starter evos were leaked? But the leak were just these small pictures that looked like someone printed the sprites out, framed them with white cardboard and took photos?

I believed those were fake, even when all the rumors and leaks started to say otherwise. When they were confirmed real, I was able to simply go "Well okay then. I was wrong." and from the looks of it, I will admit, I'll probably have to do the same thing when this new type gets announced. And that's okay. It's really not a big deal for me.

Oh and can we PLEASE stop the argument of "Duh, Sylveon has to be a new type because all Eevees super duper obviously look like what type they are and are named as such!"

Because A. Sylveon does look like a Flying type. You can say elsewise, but if that thing had just been announced as Flying from the word go, Nobody would be going "But it looks nothing like one!" and B. Because Vaporeon already breaks the naming trend, as Vapor is not a Water specific term, and usually isn't referring to water.

I'm wrapping this up because I'm running out of characters, but every single thing you just said applies just as much to people who believe in Fairy as people who don't...probably more so.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)