This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will the protagonist in this game ever be as badass as Red?

#71RX02Banshee(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2013 3:45:30 PM
sonicfanaticjtb posted...
RX02Banshee posted...

Not amusing, he doesn't believe in things like amusement.

Cyrus chuckles in Platinum version.

You do know you can laugh without actually being amused right? It's something deranged people tend to do a lot, and I'm fairly sure Cyrus was absolutely nuts and one of the most insane characters in the franchise.
---
Official Piplup of the Pokemon X board.
Current Location: In your nightmares with a knife and a gun and a chilling wail
#72sonicfanaticjtbPosted 5/17/2013 3:54:14 PM
RX02Banshee posted...

You do know you can laugh without actually being amused right? It's something deranged people tend to do a lot, and I'm fairly sure Cyrus was absolutely nuts and one of the most insane characters in the franchise.

Cyrus feels anger towards the end, so while he doesn't believe in emotion, he hasn't written 'em off entirely yet either.
---
Krystal and Phoenix Wright for Smash 4!
... Please, Sakurai?
#73Lopez_824Posted 5/17/2013 4:07:36 PM
You know....I've lost track of how many times I've kicked Red's ass with Gold/Silver and BW2's protagonist....so the real questions is who is stronger and more badass between Gold/Silver and B&W 2's protagonist. LOL. I do like Red though. :]
#74MajorHoppyPosted 5/18/2013 12:09:01 AM
In my mind, there will never be a protagonist that surpasses Red. Red is without a doubt the ultimate challenge for any Pokemon trainer. He is the optional super boss that every other character wishes they could be. Not to mention the fact that his introduction is one of the greatest scenes in the Pokemon franchise to date.

To me, Red is the mature Ash from the anime. He has given up on his human companions to focus his time exclusively on training his Pokemon on his own. He travels to the most remote and harsh location in any Pokemon game, Mt. Silver, and begins to train. Eventually, in the second generation of games, your player character arrives at the summit of Mt. Silver. Having beaten the Elite four and every Gym leader up to that point you feel confident as you approach when suddenly Red glances up and challenges you to a Pokemon Battle.
---
I just cant sit any other way than this. If I sit the way other people do, my reasoning ability drops by 40%.
#75_Izanagi_Posted 5/18/2013 12:34:00 AM
I doubt there will ever be a protagonist as badass as Red. Except maybe Wes.

sonicfanaticjtb posted...
RX02Banshee posted...

Gold looks worse when you remember that "that same gang" was simply a splinter of remnants running around as pathetically as a chicken with its head cut off.

Brendan and May did f*** all with Rayquaza besides wake it up. Everything else was Rayquaza doing its own thing. And the gangs in question were laughable, Rauquaza only had a job to do because they couldn't control the legendary Pokemon they'd awoken. They aren't even as competent as Team Rocket in gen 1.

Lucas again was mostly up against a gang of losers that couldn't control the forces they were messing with, the only feat notable was defeating Giratina since odds are Cyrus would have been owned by Giratina had the player left things alone long enough.

Hilbert and Hilda arguably did worse than their successors, like I said earlier.

And no, Nate and Rossa are NOT the same as Hil's in the first two games. Someone is forgetting Ghetsis blocked Pokeballs when he sicked Black/White Kyurem on the player.

Red, canonicly, is the only person to face off against a sucessful gang and win, and is the only player who we have been highly suggested as to what happened after the game ends. Until we get proof that the protagonists in the other gens did anything we have no proof they soared to the heights Red did.

ITP: Damn near wiping out existence<Team Rocket shenanigans.

Cyrus had control of the game's legendaries. What prevented him from playing God was essentially a miscalculation. The lake legends stop Dialga/Palkia in D/P, and Giratina came out of no where in Platinum to save the day. But, here's the thing. The thing that makes Cyrus the most dangerous antagonist in the series. He is still there. In the distortion world. Working on a way to achieve his desires. And he has the means to do so.

The world of pokémon is on a ticking time bomb. Any second, and the characters could awaken to a new world. And Cyrus as it's god. Are you seriously gonna tell me that Team Rocket is more threatening then Cyrus? Please. Cyrus would view Team Rocket's achievements as amusing child's play.

So when did this become a topic about the strength and badassness of the MC to a topic about the enemy teams? Was Team Galactic stronger than Team Rocket? Yes. Did Lucas defeat Team Galactic? No. He won some battles against them, but could not stop their ambition. Lucas was busy in chicken mode while Giratina defeated Cyrus. Red defeated Team Rocket singlehandely. Lucas needed help from nearly everyone he encountered. Touya needed help from every single person he encountered to fight Team Plasma. And Red did not lose to Gold, canonically.
---
"The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed."
''Typical entitled internet user.''ADHDguitar ''Your entitled to shut the f*** up.''Too_Cool_Rick
#76GoGoatPosted 5/18/2013 4:56:22 AM
Strain42 posted...
I personally always thought Gold was more badass than Red (lemme be clear here...Gold, not "Ethan")

Nostalgia whoring at its finest.
---
"You forgot to turn off the immersion?!"
#77MephilasPosted 5/18/2013 4:57:57 AM
Red can't even talk....

He's a disabled pokemon champion.
---
GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
#78sonicfanaticjtbPosted 5/18/2013 7:04:45 AM
_Izanagi_ posted...
I doubt there will ever be a protagonist as badass as Red. Except maybe Wes.

So when did this become a topic about the strength and badassness of the MC to a topic about the enemy teams? Was Team Galactic stronger than Team Rocket? Yes. Did Lucas defeat Team Galactic? No. He won some battles against them, but could not stop their ambition. Lucas was busy in chicken mode while Giratina defeated Cyrus. Red defeated Team Rocket singlehandely. Lucas needed help from nearly everyone he encountered. Touya needed help from every single person he encountered to fight Team Plasma. And Red did not lose to Gold, canonically.

How exactly was Lucas in chicken mode...? I don't like Lucas' design as much as the next guy, but...

Also, Team Rocket is the least threatening team in the franchise. I'd certainly hope Red could take 'em down alone. I think my childhood would hurt if he couldn't even do that <_<
---
Krystal and Phoenix Wright for Smash 4!
... Please, Sakurai?