This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon as a religion

#1NessEggmanPosted 5/17/2013 10:29:53 AM
In a lot of polytheistic/pagan religions, a multitude of dieties and supernatural beings are recognized, worshipped, followed, and/or called upon. A lot of times, these are taken from old texts and lore, and even include more modern ones, too. In a way, these old works could be seen as the great fiction of their time, and the beings in them could be manifestations of dieties as seen through the eyes of the authors and storytellers.

Of course, through this "translation," especially over time, things are lost and things are gained, and the accurate representation of the spiritual beings themselves may not stand, though the important part is that people look to them to learn about themselves.

Pokemon is a story full of mystical creatures, but more importantly, it is a story of self-improvement. The legendary creatures represent the world and the balance within it. Like many pagan dieties, they have both good and bad sides, but when called upon by the humans (who are a part of the world, and in a way, a part of Pokemon themselves), they can be channeled for both good and evil.

In real life, we use dieties of old to direct our energies, study the Earth and ourselves, and open up our spiritual mind through these lessons.

But in the same way, the creators of modern fiction are creating works from their heart brought on by their personal interpretation of their experiences of the world around them. Much like the mythos of old, these stories are invented through an interpretation of the world around us, brought out by the heart.

The story of Zekrom and Reshiram, for example, is a story of balance. It is based on other stories and concepts, and is simply one interpretation of this.

In this way, we can see the creatures of the Pokemon world as modern dieties, even if they were not intended to be. They are archetypes for the divine world around us, and we can focus and meditate on them to learn about ourselves.

Just like people who follow old dieties, I think people could follow these 'new' ones for spiritual guidance as well, even if that is not their original intended purpose. It could be that the divines are speaking through the creators of these games to spread the lessons of the world through Pokemon creatures.

And much like people build shrines and altars to speak to their ancient mythological archetypes and learn from them, I think people could do the same with Pokemon today. Even if they don't people still build shrines of their collections of merchandise.

Perhaps thousands of years from now, people will look back and see Pokemon in a completely different way. They'll see the shrines and collections and the obsessive devotion of fans. And maybe people will bring back the 'old ways' and build shrines to the legendary Pokemon and speak with and worship them.

If so, why not start today? Use the archetypes in Pokemon as a focus of divine venture. Create a spiritual path that uses Pokemon as your guide.

(This idea came to me as I was shopping at a metaphysical bookstore and saw these two candles sitting alone, that immediately said 'Zekrom and Reshiram' to me. They were intended to be phallic symbol candles, which they indeed looked like, but the color and shape of them reminded me of Zekrom and Reshiram. The concept of balance is important in my personal path, so the story of Zek and Resh really appealed to me alread in the game :) )

I'm mostly posting this as entertainment, but sometimes I wonder why we can't use modern fiction as spiritual archetypes, when we easily use what is seemingly ancient fiction. Perhaps modern fiction really is just another way the divine bring their stories to us.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
#2_Quest_Posted 5/17/2013 10:32:45 AM
Pokemon is trademarked, and belongs to a company, other world religions do not. (Bar the exception of the so called 'Jedi' in Britain, but no one takes them seriously). Therefore Pokemon as a religion just... wouldn't work, intrinsically.

In my opinion anyway.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3780-9494-9880
Steam ID: bamseyboy
#3Pooo869Posted 5/17/2013 10:34:47 AM
_Quest_ posted...
Pokemon is trademarked, and belongs to a company, other world religions do not. (Bar the exception of the so called 'Jedi' in Britain, but no one takes them seriously). Therefore Pokemon as a religion just... wouldn't work, intrinsically.

In my opinion anyway.

Jedi is a religion in England! guess where I'm moving
---
Black 2 FC - 3869-6069-8826 -PSN- Pooo869
"You know you and I are alike, we do not fear the things we must do"
#4SThiefNPosted 5/17/2013 10:35:20 AM
thinly veiled attempt to bait religion-arguing trolls

2/10
---
Hardcore.
#5ManuKesnaPosted 5/17/2013 10:37:25 AM
tl:dr weirdo
---
PSN: Manu-Kesna White 2 FC: 1593-4524-9776
GT: ManuKesna
#6jacob5622Posted 5/17/2013 10:39:01 AM
SThiefN posted...
thinly veiled attempt to bait religion-arguing trolls

2/10

Harsh, would give a 6/10.
---
"Tren, forget the men, we gotta beat up Om, Zet, and YD cause they stole <Insert name here> secks hack."
#7_Quest_Posted 5/17/2013 10:39:13 AM
Pooo869 posted...
_Quest_ posted...

In my opinion anyway.

1) Britain, not England.
2) No one takes them seriously, they only do it to annoy the government. So many people did it on the national census a few years ago that it had to be added to a list of official religions.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3780-9494-9880
Steam ID: bamseyboy
#8Shadow_StarWolfPosted 5/17/2013 10:39:27 AM
I'd love a Pokemon-themed Bible.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZOdcN.png
We Are XROS HEART!
#9dwdwdw6Posted 5/17/2013 10:44:31 AM
DENNIS
TENNIS
PENANCE
TETRIS
#10soboctreborPosted 5/17/2013 10:51:53 AM
_Quest_ posted...
Pooo869 posted...
_Quest_ posted...

In my opinion anyway.

1) Britain, not England.
2) No one takes them seriously, they only do it to annoy the government. So many people did it on the national census a few years ago that it had to be added to a list of official religions.

So the next time America has a census, if I convince enough people to put Pokemon down as their religion it'll be recognized by the government? That's stupid yet tempting.
---
Hoenn confirmed.