This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon as a religion

#11_Quest_Posted 5/17/2013 10:54:05 AM
soboctrebor posted...
_Quest_ posted...
Pooo869 posted...
_Quest_ posted...
Pokemon is trademarked, and belongs to a company, other world religions do not. (Bar the exception of the so called 'Jedi' in Britain, but no one takes them seriously). Therefore Pokemon as a religion just... wouldn't work, intrinsically.

In my opinion anyway.

Jedi is a religion in England! guess where I'm moving

1) Britain, not England.
2) No one takes them seriously, they only do it to annoy the government. So many people did it on the national census a few years ago that it had to be added to a list of official religions.

So the next time America has a census, if I convince enough people to put Pokemon down as their religion it'll be recognized by the government? That's stupid yet tempting.

I have a slight feeling it might work differently in America if I'm perfectly honest!
---
3DS Friend Code: 3780-9494-9880
Steam ID: bamseyboy
#12evillockePosted 5/17/2013 11:16:16 AM
dwdwdw6 posted...
DENNIS
TENNIS
PENANCE
TETRIS

DENNIS
TENNIS
PENANCE
RAGE QUIT
---
Fairy will not be a new type, so stop asking for it.
There is a 0% chance of Fairy type happening.
#13Strain42Posted 5/17/2013 11:18:02 AM
For reasons that no one will ever understand, you have dedicated your life to the mysterious ways of the Bellsprout.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#14NessEggman(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2013 11:49:42 AM
evillocke posted...
dwdwdw6 posted...
DENNIS
TENNIS
PENANCE
TETRIS

DENNIS
TENNIS
PENANCE
RAGE QUIT

I don't know if this is some kind of meme (I'm not really good with recognizing memes or whatever) but my husband's name is Dennis and I have no idea where this came from lol.

Anyway, I didn't make the thread to troll/bait religious people??? I just thought it was an interesting idea, people idolizing fictional characters to the point of doing it in a spiritual way. Pokemon seems like it would actually be productive in that sense since the Pokemon mythos carries similar traits to old myths that are followed today.

It's not really for arguing, it was more just... for fun, I guess lol.

And I was seriously considering making a Reshiram/Zekrom shrine LOL. I mean I already have 'character shrines' (displays of all my collectibles of particular characters, as I collect characters rather than franchises -- I have a Nosepass/Probopass shrine, a Luigi shrine, a Nathan Spencer shrine, a Captain Hook shrine, etc.)

The problem is I don't have a lot of Zek/Resh stuff, and I have a really awesome Zek doll but no counterpart to it :c

And I don't think it's important if it's copyright or not. You can still meditate on something that is copyright O_o Not all religions have to be organized with political structure. I'm referring to people incorporating modern fictional characters into eclectic religions, considering them artistic manifestations of the divine.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
#15Pooo869Posted 5/17/2013 12:04:16 PM
_Quest_ posted...
Pooo869 posted...
_Quest_ posted...
Pokemon is trademarked, and belongs to a company, other world religions do not. (Bar the exception of the so called 'Jedi' in Britain, but no one takes them seriously). Therefore Pokemon as a religion just... wouldn't work, intrinsically.

In my opinion anyway.

1) Britain, not England.
2) No one takes them seriously, they only do it to annoy the government. So many people did it on the national census a few years ago that it had to be added to a list of official religions.

Britian = United Kingdom = England, Scotland, Wales, Ect.
---
Black 2 FC - 3869-6069-8826 -PSN- Pooo869
"You know you and I are alike, we do not fear the things we must do"
#16_Quest_Posted 5/17/2013 12:08:01 PM
Pooo869 posted...
_Quest_ posted...
Pooo869 posted...
_Quest_ posted...

In my opinion anyway.

1) Britain, not England.

Britian = United Kingdom = England, Scotland, Wales, Ect.

He said Jedi in a religion in England. While technically true, it's semantically incorrect, Jedi is a religion in Britain/the UK. I live in Wales, and anyone who lives in Britain knows how arsey the Welsh/Scots/Irish get when they are called 'England' or 'English'.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3780-9494-9880
Steam ID: bamseyboy
#17evillockePosted 5/17/2013 2:02:12 PM
NessEggman posted...
evillocke posted...
dwdwdw6 posted...
DENNIS
TENNIS
PENANCE
TETRIS

DENNIS
TENNIS
PENANCE
RAGE QUIT

I don't know if this is some kind of meme (I'm not really good with recognizing memes or whatever) but my husband's name is Dennis and I have no idea where this came from lol.

Anyway, I didn't make the thread to troll/bait religious people??? I just thought it was an interesting idea, people idolizing fictional characters to the point of doing it in a spiritual way. Pokemon seems like it would actually be productive in that sense since the Pokemon mythos carries similar traits to old myths that are followed today.

It's not really for arguing, it was more just... for fun, I guess lol.

And I was seriously considering making a Reshiram/Zekrom shrine LOL. I mean I already have 'character shrines' (displays of all my collectibles of particular characters, as I collect characters rather than franchises -- I have a Nosepass/Probopass shrine, a Luigi shrine, a Nathan Spencer shrine, a Captain Hook shrine, etc.)

The problem is I don't have a lot of Zek/Resh stuff, and I have a really awesome Zek doll but no counterpart to it :c

And I don't think it's important if it's copyright or not. You can still meditate on something that is copyright O_o Not all religions have to be organized with political structure. I'm referring to people incorporating modern fictional characters into eclectic religions, considering them artistic manifestations of the divine.

It's the ghetsis theme meme.
---
Fairy will not be a new type, so stop asking for it.
There is a 0% chance of Fairy type happening.
#18Monferno_AQWPosted 5/17/2013 2:08:21 PM(edited)
We pretty much have a pokemon based religion. Unofficial and somewhat of a joke religion for now, but here you go:

http://hail-arceus.blogspot.com/
---
I only play in Ubers
R~married to Shauntal and Lorelei/Prima
#19Aladdin2557Posted 5/17/2013 2:19:36 PM
ManuKesna posted...
tl:dr weirdo

---
This sig isn't changing until Nintendo make a new good Pokemon game (unchanged since 2001)
#20Hierarchy225Posted 5/17/2013 2:29:38 PM(edited)
Church of Arceus.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4EV0crMwA0A/Slr7ufFZu1I/AAAAAAAAAXI/O8RmGJYuuF0/s400/HAIL+ARCEUS!!.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4EV0crMwA0A/Sls-zxz2zGI/AAAAAAAAAXQ/Q84d76ltHys/s400/ARCEUS+MAP.bmp