This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon as a religion

#31TherianReturnsPosted 5/17/2013 10:49:29 PM
There's enough for being a true Pokemon fan for a religion. I may be a prophet, but I refuse to share the secrets. People will just get angry, as what happens all the time.
---
I am the only true Pokemon fan. "Don't get a tattoo, buy your significant other flowers instead"-TherianReturns
#32NessEggman(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2013 12:16:49 AM
fallenKlNG posted...
Oh, ok. So you mean people could take the morals in this game and use it as a spiritual guide? Sure, people do that all the time for movies, tv shows, books, video games, and anything really. Speaking of which, there's tons of books, shows, games, and movies that have much more intense, valuable morals than Pokemon. Nobody's making a religion out of those things, and there's no need to treat Pokemon any differently.

People follow the examples they learn from movies, tv shows, books, games, and other sources of entertainment and media all the time. There's no need to compare any of this to religion, because it's such a common thing that just about everyone already does.

As for the Pokemon working with people thing, I dunno. Those Pokemon are imprisoned in capsules the majority of the time. The only time they leave these prisons are when they're being summoned to fight their brothers and sisters, usually for human entertainment. Doesn't sound like an ideal lifestyle for a Pokemon imo.

Not just a spiritual guide, but a belief that the divine is essentially experessed through creativity, that storytelling is essentially divinity/gods speaking to us, and using storytellers to do it. Today's storytellers are creators of pop culture media. We hear stories through movies, games, TV, etc.

I'm not saying just Pokemon, but all pop culture could be a message from the divine. If you take this a step further, perhaps Pokemon's characters are manifestations of the divine. In a sense, that would make Pokemon indeed real -- just only in the spiritual world, and only as essentially archetypes or symbols, but still an existence in the real world in some way.

And you only interpret the Pokemon world based on your assumption that the emotional structure of Pokemon must be identical to humans in the real world. However, this is not true. Pokemon exist in the Pokemon world, and in the Pokemon world, it's entirely possible that being in a Pokeball is an enjoyable experience, or perhaps they don't experience it at all (and have no qualms with that loss of consciousness). Using the word "prison" to describe it only forces your own preconceived notions onto it, assuming how Pokemon must think and feel based on your own person feelings rather than what is possible within the realm of the game.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
#33fallenKlNGPosted 5/18/2013 2:20:08 AM
NessEggman posted...

Not just a spiritual guide, but a belief that the divine is essentially experessed through creativity, that storytelling is essentially divinity/gods speaking to us, and using storytellers to do it. Today's storytellers are creators of pop culture media. We hear stories through movies, games, TV, etc.

I'm not saying just Pokemon, but all pop culture could be a message from the divine. If you take this a step further, perhaps Pokemon's characters are manifestations of the divine. In a sense, that would make Pokemon indeed real -- just only in the spiritual world, and only as essentially archetypes or symbols, but still an existence in the real world in some way.

That basically sounds like you're saying the idea of Pokemon is real, or that Pokemon is a real symbolic idea. We already know that.

When people play games, read books, or watch shows and movies, they sometimes accept the ideas presented and utilize them as part of their daily lives. We discuss these ideas that are presented to us amongst our fellow peers, sometimes through outlets like Gamefaqs. People make drawings, sculptures, and other forms of artwork to to show their devotion to certain video games, books, or movies. In a way, aren't we already treating pop culture like religion?

The anime, manga, and games have various things that imply Pokemon are conscious in their Pokeballs. I never actually said that the Pokemon are miserable, it's implied that they're happy. But even if I did make the assumption that Pokemon are like people and wouldn't enjoy being cooped up in a ball the majority of their lives, that's no different from someone assuming that Pokemon aren't like humans and do enjoy living a gladiator lifestyle, where they spend all their life either held up in their tiny home alone or fighting.
---
Wait I got it! Super Mario 3D Land will be in California and Super Mario 3D World will be in Florida. Zing! ~AloofGuyXXVII
#34RaidenHeroPosted 5/18/2013 2:22:34 AM
_Quest_ posted...
Pokemon is trademarked, and belongs to a company, other world religions do not. (Bar the exception of the so called 'Jedi' in Britain, but no one takes them seriously). Therefore Pokemon as a religion just... wouldn't work, intrinsically.

In my opinion anyway.

Well Doctor Who belongs to a company and there are Whovians in the world..
#35The_NumerousPosted 5/18/2013 8:08:02 AM
NessEggman posted...
The_Numerous posted...
You know, you may want to think about writing a book. Philosophical pokemon, or some such, you know? I'd buy two copies, I promise. :)

I have a gaming & philosophy blog... though it's mostly dead now. Maybe I should write about this in it.

And why two copies, haha

One for reading and one to never be touched, both signed of course >_>

Link to le blog? <_<
#36NessEggman(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2013 9:42:05 AM
The_Numerous posted...
NessEggman posted...
The_Numerous posted...
You know, you may want to think about writing a book. Philosophical pokemon, or some such, you know? I'd buy two copies, I promise. :)

I have a gaming & philosophy blog... though it's mostly dead now. Maybe I should write about this in it.

And why two copies, haha

One for reading and one to never be touched, both signed of course >_>

Link to le blog? <_<

gamingandthinking.blogspot.com

It's not very good -- I kinda stopped writing in it not long after starting it. I kind of got busy not long after starting it and the longer I was away, the less motivated I felt to write for it.

I think this is one of the better topics I could have posted though, so I should really write an article about it.

fK, that is true. I'm just trying to give a different perspective on it, than what most people think about when they see fanarts or whatever.

Also, the difference between our assumptions (that Pokemon are happy or not) is that assuming they don't enjoy their life or feel oppressed or whatever is going against a lot of Pokemon canon, whereas assuming they are happy coincides with it.

I mean, we even had a Pokemon empath and telepath who could directly communicate with Pokemon in BW, and the entire story of that game revolved around his realization that Pokemon were indeed happy in the lifestyle of belonging to trainers and fighting for them.

And while a lot of the gameplay revolves around battle, not all Pokemon battle -- a lot are pets or do physical labor or something. And they seem to enjoy those lifestyles all the same, seen as a harmonious and happy relationship with humans.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
#37fallenKlNGPosted 5/18/2013 11:48:29 AM
So then we agree people are already treating Pokemon the way you suggested, and there's not much more that can or should be done? Guess that settles that.

As for the Pokemon oppression thing, I was mostly just saying all that for entertainment purposes. I never said I actually made any of those assumptions. I just wanted to give people a new perspective on Pokemon, much like yourself. I never said there was anything wrong with the Pokemon being kept as pets. I see no problems with them. My musing was mainly concerned with trainer's Pokemon.

The Pokemon are certainly happy, but is it of their own free will? Think about it; one moment the Pokemon is attacking you and is resisting imprisonment, the next moment it's listening to everything you say? Doesn't sound like free will at work to me. Perhaps Pokemon are only happy and they only listen to you because the Pokeballs brainwash them. D:

Again, I'm just musing for entertainment. Yes, it goes against what you're told in the game, but that's the beauty of it. The point of this topic was to give players a new perspective on Pokemon, wasn't it? :)
---
Wait I got it! Super Mario 3D Land will be in California and Super Mario 3D World will be in Florida. Zing! ~AloofGuyXXVII
#38NessEggman(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2013 1:23:38 PM
Yeah, I can understand that. I had an original character/story back in gen 3 (and lead into gen 4) in which the guy was a historian/theorist who started to "discover" that the relationship between humans and Pokemon was not what it seemed. He started to believe that Pokemon and humans were the same, and that people were indeed Pokemon. But in order to use Pokemon in battle, they had to repress their own Pokemon abilities.

He left and lived in the wilderness where he learned to use moves and communicate with Pokemon, but then discovered when he encountered humans again that he could no longer communicate with them as before (he was now, essentially, a Pokemon). He realized that the dynamic between humans and Pokemon was even greater than he imagined.

Of course, Pokemon still enjoyed being with humans when they weren't in the wild, and it gave them a stronger sense of purpose. But in order for this relationship to succeed, humans have to give up their "Pokemon" side.

IDK, it was weird. It made a lot more sense back when I was thinking of it.
---