This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So if it were up to you, what would you localize the "Fairy" type as in English?

#71SpaceAssassinPosted 5/17/2013 4:26:10 PM
Light. Anything else just doesn't seem right.
---
If I had to quote you more than twice because you felt like you're an intelligent internet smart guy then you really are quite BAKA.
#72wind64aPosted 5/17/2013 4:27:29 PM
Faerie or Fey probably.
---
Badge Case [Time Badge]
StrifeHart is my OTP. services performed at BSC: 2 Riley's Boyfriend on the Pokemon BW2 & X boards. W2 FC: 3783 7001 3142
#73CornMoose2010Posted 5/17/2013 4:34:13 PM
Sprite. It's not as feminine-sounding and off-putting, and it works just as well, if not better, in covering creatures that would be included in the type.
---
Rawbots: a multiplayer-heavy robot crafting sandbox on WiiU. Please fund on Kickstarter.
#74LexifoxPosted 5/17/2013 4:34:45 PM
Fairy.

Because I'm not a big baby.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#75alatreon789Posted 5/17/2013 4:35:01 PM
Celestial.
---
This signature will not change until the rebirth of Nintendo Power. PSN: Interitum48
Started: 9:56 PM 12/18/2012
#76squirrel_boyPosted 5/17/2013 4:37:23 PM
Fairy or Light. Since dark is evil in Japan, why not light? But im fine with fairy.
#77PolkaGnomePosted 5/17/2013 4:44:13 PM
I don't play Pokemon games too often, the last one I bought was Black when it launched, so I haven't followed the news about X and Y too closely, but I'd be fine with Fairy, Faerie or Sprite. I really don't get why people are so insecure about this whole thing, especially when you look at fairies in folk lore around the world and not just Disney-esque stories.

A couple of examples of fairies I think people would be hard pressed to label as girly (though I'm sure someone will find a way) would be the Irish Dullahan which to quote Wikipedia: "The Dullahan is a headless rider, usually seen on a black horse and carries his own head under one arm. The head's eyes are small, black, and constantly dart about like flies, while the mouth is constantly in a hideous grin that touches both sides of the head. The flesh of the head is said to have the color and consistency of moldy cheese. The Dullahan's whip is actually the spine of a human corpse, and the wagons they sometimes use are made of similarly funereal objects (e.g. candles in skulls to light the way, the spokes of the wheels made from thigh bones, the wagon's covering made from a worm-chewn pall). When the dullahan stops riding, it is where a person is due to die. The dullahan calls out their name, at which point they immediately perish."

Similarly Banshees, who are present in numerous fantasy games without controversy, also originate in Irish folk tales as a type of fairy who foretold death. To add in one last example, how about the Barghest, which is oftentimes referred to as a "monstrous black dog?"

Now I'll admit, Nintendo probably won't make Fairy type pokemon quite like these, but as others have pointed out, simply look at the descriptions of existing pokemon, especially certain ghost and dark types, that allude to, or directly state that they regularly kill people, including children. I could write more, but I've grown bored with this topic...
#78RecinoPosted 5/17/2013 4:44:23 PM
light.
---
Slow down, buddy! Just because people can read it doesn't mean it isn't crap!
#79HunterTrainer72Posted 5/17/2013 5:39:11 PM
Light! Def light :D
---
Sweet Mother Sweet Mother, send your child unto me for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear....
#80AphophPosted 5/17/2013 6:02:55 PM
CTBradums posted...
Light is actually a good idea. It coincides with "magic", yadayada, that we'd associate with fairies; without the polarizing name. Plus, there's a Dark, so...makes sense to have a Light. The two kinda rely on each other's existence.

So how many moves do dark types have that involve them using darkness.