This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I have never played a Pokemon game, what should I know?

#1ProsercunusPosted 5/17/2013 3:32:51 PM
The only Pokemon game I ever played was that Pokemon Snap game on N64 a long time ago. Although I doubt that is anywhere near what these games are like? I have looked at the older games, such as Pokemon Red and Black and what have you and it seems like there have been a lot of releases.

What is a good place to start? I have a 3DS and all the current gen consoles.
---
i5 2500k | 8GB DDR3 | GTX 580
Steam - Prosercunus | Xbox LIVE - Prosercunus
#2Hughs_RagePosted 5/17/2013 3:33:56 PM
Buy B/W or B/W2 (preferrably B/W2). It has the most updated features and the most things to do in-game.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdtqd6EJTY1qlpahho1_500.jpg My husbando <3
#3FeatherinePosted 5/17/2013 3:35:05 PM
Yeah, I agree, start with BW2. Ask us questions if you have any.

Oh, and if you're the fandom type of guy, please don't hold it against us because we're a big one, and we attract all sorts of people with different tastes and opinions.
#4Slayerblade11Posted 5/17/2013 3:35:46 PM
Never Played a Pokemon game? You sir are a rare specimen. Black/White is a good place to start.
#5Prosercunus(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2013 3:38:05 PM
What is the difference between black and white? I am a bit confused by the use of colors in the game names.

Also Black Version 2 is what I was looking at before I came on here.
---
#6Hughs_RagePosted 5/17/2013 3:39:18 PM
Prosercunus posted...
What is the difference between black and white? I am a bit confused by the use of colors in the game names.

The story in Black/White(2) changes EVER SO SLIGHTLY (not enough to really make a difference) and certain Pokemon species are only avalible on one version or the other.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdtqd6EJTY1qlpahho1_500.jpg My husbando <3
#7Prosercunus(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2013 3:42:17 PM
Hughs_Rage posted...
Prosercunus posted...

The story in Black/White(2) changes EVER SO SLIGHTLY (not enough to really make a difference) and certain Pokemon species are only avalible on one version or the other.

Thanks. I will get Black Version 2, best way I suppose is to jump in.
---
#8NessEggmanPosted 5/17/2013 3:51:05 PM
Prosercunus posted...
Hughs_Rage posted...
Prosercunus posted...

Thanks. I will get Black Version 2, best way I suppose is to jump in.

I think BW2 is a great game, but I would suggest starting with Black or White (1). I think what they meant is the story between Black 2 and White 2 is extremely slight. (In general, you only need to play one game of a generation, really, to get the experience). Though Black and White actually had a completely different story from Black 2 and White 2. If you play both, you can actually see more of the BW2 story through a link feature that gives some little flashbacks of what happens between the two games. Plus you can more fully appreciate the story of BW2 by playing BW1 IMO.

So if you're thinking of jumping in the current generation, my rec is to go with Black 1. Also because I think once you play Black 2, there's not as much fun to be had in Black 1, since Black 2 mostly improves on it in every way. But they are unique stories, and one does follow the other.

The other games do not have related stories, though Gold/Silver/Crystal loosely follows after Red/Blue.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
#9tugzPosted 5/17/2013 3:53:07 PM
I'm in the same boat. Only ever played Snap.

Everyone I've asked said go with B/W2 and Heart Gold/Soul Silver.

I plan to get Silver and Black. :)
---
3DS FC: 1607-2207-7869