This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wait a second, how does this makes sense?

#11NezrubBehemothPosted 5/19/2013 1:20:44 PM
Dark_Zoroark posted...
Fairy is weak to poison, Super Effective against Dragon?

How can a Fairy be weak to toxics, they are mystic beings which in most of the cases are inmortals, and Fairy can´t even touch dragons. Most of stories about Dragons involve a fairy giving the power to a knight to slay the dragon.

I need your help guys, please explain me this?

Balor > Dragons.

Eye beams for the win.
#12hereforemnantPosted 5/19/2013 1:26:29 PM(edited)
There are already enough threads about this, please lock your topic when you can and post this information in a thread that has been active for longer, thank you.
---
Senator Armstrong for President 2016
#13reaverzPosted 5/19/2013 1:29:39 PM(edited)
If the Fairy type is true and the rumored type matchups are as Pokebeach says, then Fairy will have been added as an attempt to balance the existing type chart. Anyone who has a decent grasp of competitive play will tell you the following:

- Dragon-type moves (and by extension, Dragon-types) have become too strong in the last two generations.
- Fighting is an excellent, litte-drawback type that any Pokemon benefits from.
- Poison and Steel are terrible offensive types, even as STAB moves.
- Fire and Psychic are bad defensive types and tend to be a liability for the Pokemon.

Fairy helps patch these issues by being immune to Dragon and hitting them for super effective, giving Fighting an additional weakness, being weak to Poison and Steel making them better offensive types, and being resisted by Fire and Psychic to help them out a bit. The only one things that don't help in this way is Fairy's super effective on Dark, since Dark isn't so spectacular to begin with, and the fact that Ice doesn't have a resistance to it, which it desperately needs.

In the end, it matters less whether or not these type matchups make sense and more about a new type helping with balancing the type chart, like Dark and Steel back in Gen II. In fact, I'd wager that GameFreak decided on most of these type matchups before they actually named the type Fairy. In Gen II, GameFreak decided to have new types to nerf the then-overpowered Psychic types before they came up with names for those types, as Ken Sugimori said in Nintendo Power:

"Psychic Pokémon seemed to dominate in the previous Pokémon game, so we needed to come up with new Pokémon and types to make Gold and Silver more balanced."
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#14zurcnPosted 5/19/2013 1:30:56 PM
SpacePirateKhan posted...
I'd say the enchanted knight still counts as the fairy's power. it sure as hell wasn't Phillip who made his sword stab Maleficent in the heart, it was those Fairy jerks.

As for Poison, I don't know how most fairy lore goes, but in Eoin Colfer's books at least, fairies seem to be weak to manmade pollutants/radiation/etc..

I seem to recall a few stories where fairies die if the forest they live in dies

as poison is strong against grass it would by extension harm fairies
---
Don't worry about it. I laugh automatically whenever I hold sharp objects. - Machi - Nagasarete Airantou
http://youtu.be/iTJtTiQYlNU
#15MagikarpRulesPosted 5/19/2013 1:41:34 PM
Well, I wouldn't say Game Freak is terribly skilled at balancing types.

Dark and Steel, both punish Psychic types. But I think that was overkill. Psychic is kind of subpar now. And in the same process, they made Fighting types almost overpowered, since both Dark and Steel are weak to Fighting.
#16patsfan2312Posted 5/19/2013 1:49:30 PM
pokemon =/= logic
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjkyuXdfhlA
#17reaverzPosted 5/19/2013 1:52:16 PM
MagikarpRules posted...
Well, I wouldn't say Game Freak is terribly skilled at balancing types.

Dark and Steel, both punish Psychic types. But I think that was overkill. Psychic is kind of subpar now. And in the same process, they made Fighting types almost overpowered, since both Dark and Steel are weak to Fighting.

I would wager that Dark and Steel were meant to nerf the Psychic type and buff the Fighting type, since the latter was so terrible in Gen I (mainly because of Psychic's dominance). Now that the type chart shows five super effective matchups for Fighting with no abiltiies or items to stop that type like Ground, GameFreak may have decided that a new type should be super effective against Fighting so that it's not such a boon to any Pokemon that has it.

GameFreak may not be the best at balance, but if these type matchups are true, then it shows that they're paying attention to what's going on in competitive matches. Given that they've been running monthly WiFi competitions and tracked ratings and usage statistics for those competitions on the Pokemon Global Link, this shouldn't come as the biggest surprise.
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]