This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

They need to cut down on the amount of legendaries

#21gamester_12345Posted 5/20/2013 7:59:39 PM
At the start, Pokemon had 3 Main Legends that had no Narrative to speak of besides that they existed, there was also Mewtwo which was more of a final test (again no narrative) and Mew, which wasn't even originally thought out to be an event legend, but probably rolled with it once they discovered how much pokemon is a cashcow around the world.

G/S introduces a Legend Trio that had some basis for existing (somehow via Ho-Oh) and a Legendary Duo, Lugia is apparently the master of the 3 Birds according to the movies and Mystery dungeon...but not in game references, they added the 2nd event legend; Celebi.

R/S started the trend of the Legends having being the basis of the plot, at first there was only Groudon and Kyogre as part of the motivations of Magma/Aqua, Emerald expanded it into a trio with Rayquaza....this generation also had THREE "elementals of sorts" with the Regis, and a "Lower Duo" with the Lati@s, also theres TWO event legends this time round. (Deoxys, and Jirachi that cemented the whole 'cute' novelty of event legends)

D/P had a Duo yet again, a trio (fairies) then added, a Master (Regigigas, of the regis) a Duo that constitutes of one event, a near-mysterious legend (Heatran) and an event legend that is the "mew" of the generation (Shaymin, platinum added Formes as standard), and Manaphy to milk the Ranger games for some reason, Arceus is presumably the Deoxys of the generation.

B/W has the 2 dragons with it's master, and TWO sets of trios (genies and musketeers), a cute legend and a tough legend and a 'seahorse' legend that doesn't fit either definition but is loosely related to one of the trios, and an oddity a legend at the beginning. (Victini)

GEN1: 3 reg legends, 1 endgame, one event.
GEN2: a Duo, 3 Reg legends and an event.
GEN3: 2 Duos, and 2 events.
GEN4: 2 Trios, 2 singles, 1 that's related to an event and 3/4 events. (depending if you consider Manaphy an event or not, definitely not counting Phione.)
GEN5: 3 trios, 4 events. (one is part of a trio)

4, 6, 6, 12/13, 13...
---
RSN: Plucky9, Total: 2373
KoL: Plucky, currently a Avatar of Jarlsberg
#22el_tercer_poderPosted 5/21/2013 12:10:56 AM
pokemongames posted...

If there's a ridiculous amount of legendaries, it takes away from the legendary aspect. Just my opinion.

IRL, we have had A LOT of deities and mythological creatures.
Does that fact make them less "legendary" (because we have had so many)?

OF COURSE NOT.

Different places, different beliefs/myths/legends.
---
"Many of you feel bad for this lamp...That is because you're crazy.
It has no feelings! And the new one is much better." (IKEA's Lamp commercial)
#23LexifoxPosted 5/21/2013 12:36:06 AM
gamester_12345 posted...
B/W has the 2 dragons with it's master, and TWO sets of trios (genies and musketeers), a cute legend and a tough legend and a 'seahorse' legend that doesn't fit either definition but is loosely related to one of the trios, and an oddity a legend at the beginning. (Victini)

Keldeo does fit in. The other three swords are based on the Three Musketeers, and d'Artagnan is a young man in the novels who eventually joins them. Keldeo, like d'Artagnan, is younger than the others, and thus is shown to learn from them. It also plays to the role that the three Swords have as protectors of Pokemon.

Also they're not genies. They're kami, which are basically nature spirits/gods.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#24KitschgardenerPosted 5/21/2013 12:40:58 AM(edited)
pokemongames posted...

If there's a ridiculous amount of legendaries, it takes away from the legendary aspect. Just my opinion.

OF COURSE NOT.

Not all mythological creatures have to become legendary Pokémon (cf. Dunsparce the tsuchinoko, Ninetales, among others), i.e. given a high-ish BST and cut off from breeding for no real reason. Heck, some legendaries aren't even based on any legendary being but rather a concept.
#25Infernus93Posted 5/21/2013 1:48:32 AM
gamester_12345 posted...
Mewtwo which was more of a final test (again no narrative)

What? Mewtwo has more of a narrative than almost any other legendary. Just because it's not presented (by which I mean shoved in your face) in the main story like Reshiram/Zekrom doesn't mean it isn't there.

el_tercer_poder posted...

OF COURSE NOT.

Actually, it does make them less legendary. Over saturation of legends/myths/deities is a one of the reasons why many of them have been forgotten or replaced over the course of history. Some still become lost altogether, even in spite of all the people who specifically dedicate their lives to the preservation of those legends.

A legend forever lost from record, memory, and time isn't a legend at all. It is a nothing.

As it stands, ~7% of all Pokemon are "Legendaries." That just seems ridiculous. If the trend of recent gens continues, we'll quickly approach a point where one in every ten Pokemon is a "Legendary."

I can't put my reaction to that any better than "lol."
---
I like Monster Rancher.
#26wolf riderPosted 5/21/2013 2:03:55 AM
I'm waiting for legendaries based on the zodiac: the Legendary Duodecim!
#27Arne83Posted 5/21/2013 2:06:43 AM
Infernus93 posted...
As it stands, ~7% of all Pokemon are "Legendaries." That just seems ridiculous.

... Really? You're going to honestly say that 7% is "ridiculous"? ... Ok, buddy.
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
#28AlphaDiamondPosted 5/21/2013 2:16:23 AM
pokemongames posted...
Pendragon71037 posted...
Why? What's wrong with having a lot of legendaries?

i don't think so. the "legendary" aspect (at least for me) is that an specific pokemon (for example, Lugia) only appears once in the game, and you only have one chance for catching it/getting it

if you could find Lugia in an specific route a lot of times, and could catch it a lot of times, then it wouldn't be considered a legendary pokemon

that's why it doesn't matter how many different legendary pokemons are, if you can catch each of them just once in each game, then it will be legendary
#29snuffles504Posted 5/21/2013 3:22:20 AM
AlphaDiamond posted...
pokemongames posted...
Pendragon71037 posted...

i don't think so. the "legendary" aspect (at least for me) is that an specific pokemon (for example, Lugia) only appears once in the game, and you only have one chance for catching it/getting it

if you could find Lugia in an specific route a lot of times, and could catch it a lot of times, then it wouldn't be considered a legendary pokemon

that's why it doesn't matter how many different legendary pokemons are, if you can catch each of them just once in each game, then it will be legendary

So then...Eevee, Sudowoodo, Snorlax, Castform, Rotom, etc. are legendary.
---
....because shutup.
R - Hyuck hyuck hyuck!
#30Magus_StragusPosted 5/21/2013 3:36:56 AM(edited)
AlphaDiamond posted...
pokemongames posted...
Pendragon71037 posted...

So, sudowoodo and snorlax in GSC were legendaries for you?

EDIT: Ninja'd.
---
"Wait a minute... *dramatic pause* Magus is a girl? Mind=Blown" ~celltf
"wtf, magus is a girl?" ~Pent