This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

They need to cut down on the amount of legendaries

#31VegantoKeensPosted 5/21/2013 4:01:20 AM
Rotom is a legendary, right? It had the legendary theme in Platinum.
---
GMT + 1
PSN = William-Lake
#32Infernus93Posted 5/21/2013 5:56:29 AM
Arne83 posted...
Infernus93 posted...
As it stands, ~7% of all Pokemon are "Legendaries." That just seems ridiculous.

... Really? You're going to honestly say that 7% is "ridiculous"? ... Ok, buddy.

Yeah, I'm honestly going to say that 1 in 14 Pokemon being "Legendary" is ridiculous. It's like every fourteenth different animal is Sasquatch or Chupacabra to the people of the Pokeverse.

Sometimes I imagine conversations between NPC's going like this;

*Ring**Ring**Ring*
"Hello?"
"Joey...I've got to tell you something. Promise me you won't think I'm crazy?"
"Oh come on, Dana, what could you ever say that would make me think that?"
"I'm serious, Joey! It's pretty wild...I don't want anyone to find out and think I've lost it."
"Okay, I promise. I'm sure it can't be that bad."
"I know it might sound unbelievable, but I...I saw the legendary Raikou. It wa..."
"Pfft. That's it? You saw a legendary? Everyone does. You're not crazy; they're just everywhere. Now, if you really want to see something that'll blow your mind, you should check out my Rattata. It's top percentage!"

Maybe if Game Freak dropped their obsession with making three of everything (this applies to more than just legendary Pokemon) it'd be less of an issue.
---
I like Monster Rancher.
#33gamester_12345Posted 5/21/2013 7:29:33 AM
Infernus93 posted...
gamester_12345 posted...
Mewtwo which was more of a final test (again no narrative)

What? Mewtwo has more of a narrative than almost any other legendary. Just because it's not presented (by which I mean shoved in your face) in the main story like Reshiram/Zekrom doesn't mean it isn't there.

Im just saying that Mewtwo was just the starter as an endgame legend, they couldn't cement why it actually exists since it was manmade, the whole cloning thing is probably still canon, but the basis of finding Mew in a real life place when future games in the series surprisingly forgets that the real world actually exists, every game after the 1st generation ignores real world places unless it was a remake like FRLG. (unless the movie is one of the few times where the Anime is canon to the games, but slight details are different such as Mr Fuji not being dead)

I just wonder if Mewtwo's origin was originally going to actually be a real world thing, since they talk about the moon landing, Lt Surge being in a war and Space shuttle Columbia, once Pokemon became a cashcow before G/S was released, they had to remove most real world geography/references to make the game more palatable to a worldwide audience, for all we know the Kanto in R/B may intended to be the actual Kanto in Japan, but later regions are more like fantasy versions or amalgamations of real world places.

I also sorta find it weird that the legendary cats somehow came to life/existence from the burning of one of the towers, but it was sorta nice that the Birds had some foundation, even if it was implied retroactively with Lugia.

I sorta don't like how DP started to stretch the amount of legendaries in the game though.

Common traits
Trios (Birds, Cats, Regis, Fairies, Kamis)
Duos (Ho-Oh/Lugia, Lati@s, Cresslia/Darkrai,
Endgame/Oddball (Mewtwo, Heatran?, Regigigas?)
Tough (Deoxys, Arceus, Genosect)
Cute (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin, Meloetta, Victini?)
Hybrid (Manaphy isn't an event but can breed Phione, Keldeo is an event but goes with Musketeers)

Guess in some respects, Gen V might have not have had a Duo due to Victini due to it and Meloetta filling 2 Cute slots, it's possible that Meloetta was supposed to be the Pokemon that broke the trend of being the cute one with 100 stats across the board, instead having Formes that became standard with the series to shift the stats around. (it still totaled to 600 though)
---
RSN: Plucky9, Total: 2373
KoL: Plucky, currently a Avatar of Jarlsberg
#34RethalwolfPosted 5/21/2013 7:49:58 AM
Gamester, what about Darkrai, Cresselia, and Giratina?

I just think it's weird that everyone talks about these untameable, unseeable, un-whatever-able beasts and you can have all of them. And with how powerful they are, that's a big part of what makes the games easy; you only need one to sweep every team in the game. A team of legendaries is major overkill.

Having more just makes it less necessary, or even pointless, to have anything in your team besides. And that's boring, having so many mons be pointless for the sake of 7%.
---
"The point of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the enemy die for his."
#35Immortal_Chaos7Posted 5/21/2013 8:05:40 AM
gamester_12345 posted...
Infernus93 posted...
gamester_12345 posted...
Mewtwo which was more of a final test (again no narrative)

What? Mewtwo has more of a narrative than almost any other legendary. Just because it's not presented (by which I mean shoved in your face) in the main story like Reshiram/Zekrom doesn't mean it isn't there.

Im just saying that Mewtwo was just the starter as an endgame legend, they couldn't cement why it actually exists since it was manmade, the whole cloning thing is probably still canon, but the basis of finding Mew in a real life place when future games in the series surprisingly forgets that the real world actually exists, every game after the 1st generation ignores real world places unless it was a remake like FRLG. (unless the movie is one of the few times where the Anime is canon to the games, but slight details are different such as Mr Fuji not being dead)

I just wonder if Mewtwo's origin was originally going to actually be a real world thing, since they talk about the moon landing, Lt Surge being in a war and Space shuttle Columbia, once Pokemon became a cashcow before G/S was released, they had to remove most real world geography/references to make the game more palatable to a worldwide audience, for all we know the Kanto in R/B may intended to be the actual Kanto in Japan, but later regions are more like fantasy versions or amalgamations of real world places.

I also sorta find it weird that the legendary cats somehow came to life/existence from the burning of one of the towers, but it was sorta nice that the Birds had some foundation, even if it was implied retroactively with Lugia.

I sorta don't like how DP started to stretch the amount of legendaries in the game though.

Common traits
Trios (Birds, Cats, Regis, Fairies, Kamis)
Duos (Ho-Oh/Lugia, Lati@s, Cresslia/Darkrai,
Endgame/Oddball (Mewtwo, Heatran?, Regigigas?)
Tough (Deoxys, Arceus, Genosect)
Cute (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin, Meloetta, Victini?)
Hybrid (Manaphy isn't an event but can breed Phione, Keldeo is an event but goes with Musketeers)

Guess in some respects, Gen V might have not have had a Duo due to Victini due to it and Meloetta filling 2 Cute slots, it's possible that Meloetta was supposed to be the Pokemon that broke the trend of being the cute one with 100 stats across the board, instead having Formes that became standard with the series to shift the stats around. (it still totaled to 600 though)

These's gonna be 700+ pokemon and with every generation the games are always gonna get bigger and try to appeal to a broader audience. With that said, I feel the number of legendaries is bound to increase so there can be at least one or two that will for sure be appealing to someone even if they, for some reason or another, don't like 90% of the other legendaries. I do understand, however, that there should be a limit to how many legendaries they add to one generation, of which I say should be around 17 or 18 (counting for an obligatory box art trio, a 100 base state "cute" legend, a lesser trio, a master perhaps, and a few events at the least). When talking about real world locales vs. fantasy inspired settings... it's pokemon, and even then, other than the spin-off's, all the main games are still loosely inspired by real world settings. Final words on the topic, I do feel all legendaries should always have a fare bit of fleshed out lore (at least like Darkrai and Cresselia) and should be preceded by a fairly challenging, yet optional, dungeon (i.e. Heatran). Those should be the staple qualities of a legendary imo.
---
Pokemon Diamond-Name:Jack / FC:0043-9308-0032
#36teffyPosted 5/21/2013 8:22:11 AM(edited)
I vote we stop calling the plot-based groups of Pokemon "Legendary" since they're never called that in-game, and start calling them by their in-game designations (like the Spirit Trio). Keep the title "Legendary" title for pokemon that ACTUALLY are legends in their region. The Spirit Dogs are not legends, Ho-Oh, Lugia, and Celebi are. Meloetta is not a legend, Reshiram is.

---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#37UmuruPosted 5/21/2013 8:30:44 AM
Less science means more legends in the Pokemon world I guess?
#38EmeraldRangePosted 5/21/2013 9:51:54 AM
Gamefreak... To access one of your ridiculously occasional events, I need to buy a plane ticket and a visa and travel to a country that supports that event. Get rid of all event legendaries (maybe except one). This also supports hacking and cheating to complete the pokedex.

Gen IV introduced a way too many legendaries. At that point I felt like they were just ordinary pokemon like zubat, appearing everywhere.

Then, you started forcing people to fight legendaries. Then, the worst came. You forced us to catch Zekrom/Reshiram. That is my biggest reason for hating Gen 5. That was the worst thing you ever did. I loved that they were sidequests. Things you could do, take time and go in the other direction for a powerhouse.

BTW, in the Unown movie, don't they state that it's a legendary pokemon?
---
I loathe Gen V. I am being optimistic for Gen VI,
because I hope they can make a good new feature.