This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Assuming the Pokebeach rumor is true, what would be the new 4 best types?

#1iKhanicPosted 5/21/2013 1:20:19 AM
Currently its: Water, Fighting, Dragon, Steel

This is the pokebeach leak: New type is weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, and Fire and Psychic-type Pokemon take half damage from it.

I'd say its now:
1. Steel: Best defensive type that's now also useful offensively
2. Water: Nothing Changes, Water still has great coverage and lacks weaknesses
3. Fighting: Yes, it adds a weakness, but when have fighting types ever been used for their defensive capabilities.
4. Fire: With ridiculous offensive power and now 6 resistances, i definitely see Fire-types as a dominating force in Gen 5.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#2SephirothtPosted 5/21/2013 2:03:29 AM
One tiny problem with Fire being a top 4 type, Stealth Rock still exists.
---
Officially faved Ninetales, everywhere, R - Burning Knight Executive
Facebook: http://alturl.com/juupo
#3LexifoxPosted 5/21/2013 2:05:04 AM
iKhanic topic.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#4iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2013 2:20:41 AM
Sephirotht posted...

What would you say are the top 4 best types in that case?
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#5SephirothtPosted 5/21/2013 2:41:08 AM
iKhanic posted...
Sephirotht posted...

Still the same, Dragon is far too good to just be stopped by a "Fairy"-type. Unless you're only talking about the type itself and not the Pokemon.
---
#6stranksyPosted 5/21/2013 3:02:04 AM(edited)
Dragon won't be punted out that easily. If the leak is true, the type matchups for the current "top 4" will be:

DRAGON
Offensive:
2x: Dragon
1/2x: Steel
0x: Fairy

Defensive:
2x: dragon, icefairy,
1/2x: electric, fire, grass, water

FIGHTING
Offensive:
2x: normal, rock, steel, ice, dark
1/2x: poison, flying bug, psychic
0x: ghost

Defensive:
2x: flying, psychic, fairy
1/2x: bug, rock, dark

WATER
Offensive:
2x: fire, ground, rock
1/2x: dragon, grass, water

Defensive:
2x: electric, grass
1/2x: fire, ice, steel water

STEEL
Offensive:
2x: ice, rock, fairy
1/2x: electric, fire, steel, water

Defensive:
2x: fighting, fire, ground
1/2x: bug, dark, dragon, flying, ghost, grass, ice, normal, psychic, rock, steel
0x: poison

And lastly, let's throw in Fairy's type chart:

FAIRY
Offensive:
2x: dragon, dark, fighting
1/2x: fire, psychic

Defensive:
2x: steel, poison
0x: dragon

Dragon will stay high in the metagame; one new weakness won't bring them to their knees when they still have STAB attacks that will, at minimum, neutrally hit 16/18 types. However, Fairies will be commonly used to switch in against Dragons. As such, they will be slightly hindered, but not so much as Fighting (see below), which will be crippled by the measures to counter Fairies.

Steel will become more common. Because of Fighting becoming less common (see below), Steel will have lost a common STAB weakness - though still crippled by common Fire and Ground attacks.

As for Fighting, it gets bounced down to where it was before Gen V. Because of Psychics being resistant to Fairy attacks, they might be used to whether certain fairy attacks - despite their typically poor defensive stats. Because Psychic will be packed around more commonly, Fighting types will be at greater risk more commonly - and that's without taking into account their newfound weakness to Fairy. They simply won't be able to handle two threats becoming common. While psychics can't use a lot of Fighting moves, those were typically only used against Steel types in the first place, which Psychics can handle with Flamethrower/Fire Blast - or even Aura Sphere, in some cases. Psychic doesn't even need to fear many STAB weaknesses, because Fairy will stay to keep Dark in check.

Water, I don't think, was ever high on the list. As a defensive type, it's okay, but its only strength has always been the type's common access to Ice and Electric moves. Admittedly, Waters do, commonly, have high Sp. Attack and/or Speed, but Psychics will more than cover those traits.

So, for these reasons, I think the next top four types will be:

1) Steel
2) Dragon
3) Fairy
4) Psychic
---
When life's really getting you down, take solace in the fact that you're going to die.
#7stranksyPosted 5/21/2013 2:58:55 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2013 3:23:16 AM
Sephirotht posted...
iKhanic posted...
Sephirotht posted...

Still the same, Dragon is far too good to just be stopped by a "Fairy"-type. Unless you're only talking about the type itself and not the Pokemon.

I'm talking about the type. Dragon types have ridiculous stats, so a slightly less useful typing won't keep them out of ubers and ou.

As a type, an immunity completely ruins dragon's main niche of neutral coverage.

That said I'd probably replace fire with fairy in my list. Fire will be good, but not as fairy
---
#9emeraldfox_09Posted 5/21/2013 3:32:03 AM
1. Grass
2. Steel
3. Dragon
4. Fairy
---
The Official Leafeon everywhere. Get at me
Bianca <3. I like Shauntal too.
#10SephirothtPosted 5/21/2013 3:40:30 AM
iKhanic posted...
Sephirotht posted...
iKhanic posted...
Sephirotht posted...

I'm talking about the type. Dragon types have ridiculous stats, so a slightly less useful typing won't keep them out of ubers and ou.

As a type, an immunity completely ruins dragon's main niche of neutral coverage.

That said I'd probably replace fire with fairy in my list. Fire will be good, but not as fairy

If Fairy is real, then it being a Dragon killer would certainly place it high. But Dragon is still the best type for neutral coverage, even with 1 immunity and resistance.
---