This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's even the point of pre-evolutions?

#11Luigi playerPosted 5/21/2013 3:51:37 AM
to make evolutions an exciting thing.

at first you have something weak, but then you get a lot stronger.

it's the same with weaker moves.

why does ember exist when there's better fire moves?
- to have everything move forward in gradients.

if you have the strongest stuff already it gets less exciting and there's not as much to gain.

When I play through the main story I don't like using single stage pokemon too much because they're so strong from the start.
---
I'm a the Luigi master!
www.freewebs.com/luigi_player/
#12DawndragonPosted 5/21/2013 4:02:12 AM
Arne83 posted...
It adds more to the world. Makes things a bit more interesting. Not everything has to be super useful from the word "go"...

Pretty much this.
---
Trade Partners: I Do not knowingly accept Hacked pokemon, Nor will I Knowingly trade them out.
3052-9840-7953 - Pokemon Black FC
#13EnvoyJRH(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2013 4:56:26 AM
But most preevolutions you tend to get after the point where you can get the main Pokemon itself.
---
envoyofuno
#14scribblykakulooPosted 5/21/2013 5:12:03 AM
My guess is for the Little and Petite modes of battle. You can't bring your Dragonite to the Little Cup...but you can bring your Dratini!
#15MeepleLardiclePosted 5/21/2013 5:12:09 AM
It depends really.

Smoochum, Magby, Budew, Elekid, etc. all make sense. These are pre-evos to 1 stage Pokemon who if gotten early would wreck the game. Just think what Electabuzz would do if gotten as early as a Pikachu?

And no, those ones are not available "after their evolutions are available." Heck, aren't Magby and Elekid in BW2's early game (as version exclusives even, as Magmar vs. Electabuzz originally was)?

You'll also note that Gamefreak gave most of those evolutions.

Stuff like PIchu, Igglybuff, Cleffa, etc. are just there because the Gen 2 mindset for babies were there for cute and honestly, they come off as them just being uncreative for filling up that 100 extra slots they promised, so they made basically miniature Clefairy and Jigglypuff. Pichu was that + capitalize on Pikachu popularity (even though Marill was doing a fine job of that as is.)

The way I see it is if there's a good gameplay reason (besides "Moves!" because each Gen changes move lists anyway) to have a Baby Pokemon, most notably access to the Pokemon early with a way to stop them from being overpowered (Budew for example), that's fair.
If it's a baby of a Pokemon that is already balanced for early game, thus making a fairly worthless Pokemon in game that's just annoying to raise, that's a waste. Nothing about Pikachu in-game struck me as "overpowered" early game, so Pichu's existence is just a waste.
---
www.rpgdl.com
The site Meeple argues at for too much of his life!
#16KitschgardenerPosted 5/21/2013 5:44:45 AM(edited)
My guess is for the Little and Petite modes of battle. You can't bring your Dragonite to the Little Cup...but you can bring your Dratini!

If nothing had prevos they wouldn't exist in the first place, obviously.

It depends really.

Smoochum, Magby, Budew, Elekid, etc. all make sense. These are pre-evos to 1 stage Pokemon who if gotten early would wreck the game. Just think what Electabuzz would do if gotten as early as a Pikachu?

And no, those ones are not available "after their evolutions are available." Heck, aren't Magby and Elekid in BW2's early game (as version exclusives even, as Magmar vs. Electabuzz originally was)?

The point was that Game Freak misused Magby, Elekid and Smoochum in their debut games, where they do indeed require to be bred from their evolutions. Roselia is hardly overpowered in DPPt when the second gym leader uses a Roserade. And why would Game Freak think Electabuzz and Magmar would be overpowered when you can obtain the likes of Lucario and Arcanine extremely early?
#17Skull_proPosted 5/21/2013 5:38:14 AM
eimajamie posted...
To use them earlier in the game maybe; Riolu, Budew?

This. Except Riolu was not an "introduced" pre evo. It was released alongside Lucario.
---
Live like a windrammer as you **** while seeing futures in balls
#18Dabrikishaw15Posted 5/21/2013 5:38:56 AM
Their sole purpose is to grant new moves to existing Pokemon.

Some of them have exclusive moves that are good on the fully-evolved Pokemon.

But really, why does it matter? If you're going to say that they're useless, let's just make every Pokemon a one-stage thing.

---
Fact: All fanbases are unpleaseable, deal with it.
http://i.minus.com/ixGBrDD4hclHn.gif
#19TherianReturnsPosted 5/21/2013 5:45:02 AM(edited)
Serebii from SPP posted...
For me, I like them. They really add to the experience.

I personally hate raising Pokémon that don't evolve. It's like there's no goal, no target to achieve. By adding and starting with a pre-evolution, it gives me that target

Or they can be badass from start to finish, Like Snorlax, Sawk, or Heracross.

No Pre-evo required. Please tell me you get this reference. hint hint England
---
I am the only true Pokemon fan. YouTube, Instagram and Twitter coming soon.
#20sumuthergamerPosted 5/21/2013 6:01:17 AM
And why would Game Freak think Electabuzz and Magmar would be overpowered when you can obtain the likes of Lucario and Arcanine extremely early?

Gee, I don't know... Maybe because you HAVE TO EVOLVE SOMETHING to get Lucario and Arcanine? Which is exactly what Elekid/Magby add to Electabuzz/Magmat? So you just argued against yourself.
---
sumuthergamer = some other gamer. Get it?
Call me "gamer", not "sumu"...