This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's even the point of pre-evolutions?

#41EnvoyJRH(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2013 2:49:58 PM
ayashiboi posted...
What's the point of pre-evolutions? Then what's the point of evolutions?

"All pokemon should just be in their final forms. Screw pre-evos, screw pikachu, screw pokemon!"

This kind of counterargument fails to work in any way whatsoever, and I'd hope you'd have the basic logical ability to understand why. The reason I think baby Pokemon are useless and unneeded is due to the fact that no, none of the Pokemon that received them are "overpowered" at the time you can get them. Couldn't you get Roselia right after the third gym in R/S (it's been years since I've played it)? How is that too late in the game? The main issue is that it seems most baby Pokemon are harder to get than their evolutions, and for what reason? Sure, they can add new moves and abilities to existing Pokemon, but they could have also just tweeked those existing Pokemon in the first place.

Cleffa, Igglybuff, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Azurill, Budew, Bonsly, Mime Jr., and Mantyke are all so utterly pointless in my eyes. There is no reason for them to have been introduced after their initial generation. If they were included from the start it'd be a different story, but to go out of their way to make these Pokemon, most of which you need to go through hoops to actually obtain (at least in their debut generations)... why? Unless you're a completionist, I see no reason why the average user would want to actually get a baby Mantine.

IDK. They just feel pointless.
---
envoyofuno
#42EpsteinBarrPosted 5/21/2013 2:55:52 PM
Very wasteful additions. Then again, GameFreaks does the darndest things in their Pokemon franchise.
#43The_DOAMPosted 5/21/2013 3:01:46 PM
Easy it's because the plan to release a stone that you give your Pokemon that stops them from evolving. Unlike the one they already have this special stone would change your Pokemon''s stat's as if it had actually evolved. So in other words you could have an Igglybuff hitting as hard as a Wigglytuff just without the Wigglytuffs evolution skills.

What never mind that's a terrible Idea the truth is the devs are trolling you. Those pre evolutionary design will never see competitive play and only serve as another evolutionary step your forced to get to get your get your Pokemon battle ready in it's final form
---
Ignorance is Bliss...
#44fahademonPosted 5/21/2013 11:33:37 PM
Serebii from SPP posted...
For me, I like them. They really add to the experience.

I personally hate raising Pokémon that don't evolve. It's like there's no goal, no target to achieve. By adding and starting with a pre-evolution, it gives me that target

This.The bolded line in particular.I'd honestly raise,evolve and train a Budew and make it Roserade rather than having a headstart with Roselia.And I just love that evolution theme!
---
There will come a day when I shoot myself in the head for saying this.-TVirusPredator
Waiting for:Jump Stars Victory Vs,Pokemon X/Y,Digimon Re:Digitize(3DS).
#45BountyanPosted 5/21/2013 11:43:54 PM(edited)
The only use for them from a gameplay standpoint is to have more variety in little cup. Otherwise I think they're 100% pointless.

"Adds more moves" isn't a good excuse because they do that all the damn time without adding pre-evos. "Balances overpowered Pokemon from being too early in the game" isn't a great reason either because A) most of the time they're given to Pokemon that aren't even that powerful, B) you can just put other early-game Pokemon in, and C) most of the time they don't even put them at the beginning of the game to begin with. The only time I can recall that they actually took advantage of that was with Magby and Elekid in B/W2. Meanwhile they let you get stuff like Braviary and Mandibuzz right after the 3rd gym, so I don't think balance is Gamefreak's concern.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo