This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wy is it widely accepted that sylveon will be a "fairy" type?

#11NeonDragon9000Posted 5/21/2013 11:13:37 PM
stranksy posted...
All of Sylveon's names reference fairies.

True. Every single localization of Sylveon refers to fairies, and several contain the word "Fairy". Probably the reason they didn't name it "Faireon" for English localizations was because they knew that a lot of North Americans unfamiliar with most fairy folklore would freak out and claim that the type was "girly" or "gay" (because homophobia isn't wrong, right guize?). Which is probably why the Fairy type will be localized as something like Fae or Sylvan.

They didn't change the name of the Fairy egg group, why would they change the name of the Fairy type? Besides, given the fact that two rather credible leak sources both agree on FAIRY, and not any other localized name, seems to imply that's the name. I feel like it would have been brought up once if Game Freak was going with some other name.

If people have issues with the word "fairy," they probably have bigger issues in their life to worry about.
---
"Microsoft is not a helicopter." ~Gerald Ilukwe
#12rawxfoxdogPosted 5/21/2013 11:23:54 PM
im a guy and when i read the word fairy i dont think disney tinkerbell. I though she was a pixie? But anyway fairy seems cool. They could have something like sylveon be fairy then some other new pokemon youd least exspect to be fairy. Im just waitimg for october
---
Nintendo id: Rawxfoxdog
#13stranksyPosted 5/22/2013 1:47:10 AM(edited)
stranksy posted...
All of Sylveon's names reference fairies.

True. Every single localization of Sylveon refers to fairies, and several contain the word "Fairy". Probably the reason they didn't name it "Faireon" for English localizations was because they knew that a lot of North Americans unfamiliar with most fairy folklore would freak out and claim that the type was "girly" or "gay" (because homophobia isn't wrong, right guize?). Which is probably why the Fairy type will be localized as something like Fae or Sylvan.

They didn't change the name of the Fairy egg group, why would they change the name of the Fairy type? Besides, given the fact that two rather credible leak sources both agree on FAIRY, and not any other localized name, seems to imply that's the name. I feel like it would have been brought up once if Game Freak was going with some other name.

If people have issues with the word "fairy," they probably have bigger issues in their life to worry about.

Honestly, I have incredible doubts that most casual players - especially the younger and/or less mature people who will have issue with fairies - have any idea whatsoever what any egg groups are called. I guess what I'm trying to say is, something that's blatantly visible every time you check a pokemon's stats is more likely to be changed than obscure tidbit about breeding that many people don't even know about. But I agree, I hope that the type isn't changed.
---
When life's really getting you down, take solace in the fact that you're going to die.