This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

To me, saying Charizard/Gyarados should be part Dragon is like...

#1Faust_8Posted 5/24/2013 3:32:34 PM
...saying Hippowdown should be part Water. It's a hippo, it sits in rivers all day! Oh, and what about the Sandile line? They hunt in water!

Or Toxicroak should be part Water. It's an amphibian!

Or Eelektross should be part Water. It's a hagfish...eel...thing? Well, whatever it is, it lives in Water!

Look, sometimes to shake things up they make some Pokemon forms have odd Types. If EVERY time the Pokemon took on the appropriate Type based off its inspiration, it would be rather boring.

The same reason why not everything that relies on water is actually Water type is the same reason why not everything draconian is a Dragon type. Not to mention, for example, there's nothing about a fox or salamander or dog or moth that suggest fire and yet we have Fire types with those as inspiration. What about reptiles suggests Grass? What about a mouse suggests electricity?

It's not always going to make sense.

That's part of what makes Pokemon great.

Deal with it.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#2javel34Posted 5/24/2013 3:33:21 PM
I want all those changes now.
---
Black 2 FC: 3569 1730 6208 http://zettai-cosplay.deviantart.com/art/Skyla-Cosplay-244148531 my wife. Doesn't count Tiger, this ones real.
#3NekoHime64Posted 5/24/2013 3:35:16 PM
javel34 posted...
I want all those changes now.

---
FF IX was better than FFVII. THERE, I SAID IT!!!
Unofficial Sneasel of the Pokemon X board.
#4Meta289Posted 5/24/2013 3:49:15 PM
A lot of Pokemon should be Ground types, since they live on land.
---
http://meta289.deviantart.com/#/d4j1eby
Fact: Things are so much better when taken at face value.
#5Elec Man EXEPosted 5/24/2013 4:09:59 PM
I agree. Pokemon are their own things and shouldn't need typings to match their "real world" counterparts if the pokemon doesn't fit that same exact archetype.

Also, Eelektross is a lamprey, I think.
---
~ Master of Electricity ~
Electro: 0518-6613-7620 - Pokemon White
#6Shadow Flare13Posted 5/24/2013 4:33:50 PM
Charizard actually DOES look like a Dragon, so it would make sense for him to be a Dragon. That said, it doesn't make any LESS sense for him to be Fire/Flying.

In regards to Gyarados, him not being Dragon actually makes more sense if you know about the legend that line is based on.
#7Ray GunPosted 5/24/2013 4:39:58 PM
Salamanders are associated with fire in mythology though.
---
rg