This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are the chances of Game Freak doing DLC?

#11RX0megaPosted 5/24/2013 6:35:55 PM(edited)
NewMoonShadow posted...
RX0mega posted...
So far paid DLC has been exclusively used in second party games

Like Pokemon...?

Last I checked Pokemon (as in the main series, as in the versions, as in X and Y) are First Party titles. Mystery Dungeon meanwhile is made by ChunSoft, a third party developer. The only first party Nintendo game out right now with paid DLC is Fire Emblem Awakening, and that is all just fanservice or non-canon story.

New Super Mario Wii U will be getting paid dlc shortly though, but that comes in the form of an outright expansion pack, so big it is even getting a disc release.
---
Official Piplup of the Pokemon X board
In less than a month I bet I can consider the gaming industry dead
#12EnferolunosPosted 5/24/2013 6:36:18 PM
RX0mega posted...
NewMoonShadow posted...
RX0mega posted...

Like Pokemon...?

Last I checked Pokemon (as in the main series, as in the versions, as in X and Y) are First Party titles. Mystery Dungeon meanwhile is made by ChunSoft, a third party developer. The only first party Nintendo game out right now with DLC is Fire Emblem Awakening, and that is all just dlc or non-canon story.

New Super Mario Wii U will be getting paid dlc shortly though, but that comes in the form of an outright expansion pack, so big it is even getting a disc release.

NSMB2 had paid DLC. The point still holds though, Masuda said paid DLC isn't right for pokemon, and I trust him. The same is true for Animal Crossing, there won't be paid DLC for that either.
---
Currently awaiting: Lunar Knights 2, AC:NL, Pikmin 3, XY, WW HD, LR:FFXIII, X, LoZ U, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#13NewMoonShadowPosted 5/24/2013 6:47:33 PM
RX0mega posted...
NewMoonShadow posted...
RX0mega posted...

Like Pokemon...?

Last I checked Pokemon (as in the main series, as in the versions, as in X and Y) are First Party titles. Mystery Dungeon meanwhile is made by ChunSoft, a third party developer. The only first party Nintendo game out right now with paid DLC is Fire Emblem Awakening, and that is all just fanservice or non-canon story.

GameFreak and Nintendo are not the same company, Nintendo simply owns the Pokemon license. GameFreak is second-party at best, not first.

Also, "Pokemon Dream Radar" is basically DLC for Black/White 2. It's a dumb little mini-game you use to obtain special items and Pokemon for Black/White 2. The only reason to own it is to get the Therian forms of the genies, which you can't get any other way (just like DLC, conveniently enough...)
#14133kPosted 5/24/2013 6:51:37 PM
Since they can't really create new Pokemon through DLC, I con't say I'd really care too much. There isn't much they could add that an Action Replay couldn't.
#15zinformantPosted 5/24/2013 6:52:48 PM
RandomSong posted...
0% chance. Now it will happen.

That joke is so dead...it'll be funny again with the next wave of kids who don't 'get it'.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#16RX0megaPosted 5/24/2013 6:59:19 PM
NewMoonShadow posted...
RX0mega posted...
NewMoonShadow posted...
RX0mega posted...

Like Pokemon...?

GameFreak and Nintendo are not the same company, Nintendo simply owns the Pokemon license. GameFreak is second-party at best, not first.

Actually the resulting game from a second party studio is still a first party game. So these games are first party games.
---
Official Piplup of the Pokemon X board
In less than a month I bet I can consider the gaming industry dead
#17jakovuPosted 5/24/2013 7:08:21 PM
I hope they don't do this. When the games come out, I want the satisfaction of knowing ALL the new Pokémon. Not all of them minus 3. EVERY. LAST. ONE.
#18pbandjamesPosted 5/24/2013 7:14:32 PM
Masuda was already asked if the mainline Pokémon games would have paid DLC after the latest Mystery Dungeon had DLC. He said no. Masuda said that he didn't think that paud DLC fit the main series, and that they would only explore DLC in spinoff titles, and not even every spinoff title will have DLC. Bonus content will also be only extra for the games, and not important to the story or contents of the game.

These DLC topics are stupid. It'll be the same as it's been before.
---
Game news is the best news.
#19BountyanPosted 5/24/2013 7:16:02 PM
It would be great for new Pokemon and trainer customization.

With DLC support there's a chance they could legitimately introduce new Pokemon within the same generation now.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#20Biased_GamerPosted 5/24/2013 7:24:26 PM
If they do decide to use downloadable content for Pokemon X & Y...let's just pray to Arceus it focuses (mostly) on Legendary Pokemon and costs fairly high depending on said Legendary Pokemon.

So basically, it'll work like Fire Emblem: Awakening... 'Xcept let's hope it has some DLC in-game events similar to the "dat a**! XD" maps. ^o^
---
WOW! This game is good! ^_^ ... Gabumon: Although, I may be biased.
Official Magikarp of the Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS Boards...for now. :3